Universal Store
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Universal Store Employee Reviews

The Universal Store is a very hands on and fast paced workplace. Which has given me the skills to be able to work under pressure and multitask. It's a great environment.
Universal Store was a great place to learn and develop interpersonal skills with customers and members inside the store. It was my first official job I've received and I learned a lot going into the retail industry. The only downside of the job was that it was hard to fit in the expectations of the overall store as there is only one style and goes up to a certain size. A few of the members were being extremely fake and rude at some moments but I do not regret working there and getting to know the Ins and Outs of Universal Store. Overall good experience :)
Open communication with team members was extremely beneficial as I stayed on top of what needed to be done and resolved item issues. The workplace culture was incredibly positive which made me excited to go to work.
The universal store is one of the best places to work at due to the friendly and helpful coworkers and encouragement from managers and fellow employees
it was a positive team with hugs. i learnt how to handle stock and organise them into their specific categories. the managers and team were very supportive and positive. the hardest part of the job is handling the customers as there could be alot at times.
Pros
very positive team
Cons
hard to stay there as there is too many staff
The company is pretty good in general, pay is really good, no job security as no part time, can go from 15 hours to 4 hours each week. The work load is pretty manageable, and the clothing is nice. Employees very poorly treated by higher authority however. No reward for commitment, and even as a casual if you ask for one day off they'll cut you down to 3 hours that week as "you need to be available full time". New casuals will get more hours than you straight away too.
A great company to work for with a good and working environment and vibe. Always something to do and great work is always rewarded. Always happy to work a shift here.
Pros
Great staff benefits
Cons
Co workers sometime too competitive
Management does not respect you at all. High turnover rate for managers which says a lot about the company culture. They would rather hire workers form other stores than give the current workers at the store shifts. Horrible area managers
Great company culture. Amazing product training and incentives. Good work/life balance. Great team and management. Fun work environment. Expert denim fit.
good working environment great pay plenty of breaks fun team good management encourage staff to perform well and sell nice customers good place to make friends
Pros
40% employee only discount
Cons
no cons
personal the experience was a great as it was my first job out of school and i needed money, but the people weren't amazing and the environment built wasn't nice. I'd constantly walk into people talking behind my back and many times people in front of me getting annoyed at my work ethic. sure it was just Christmas casual and i was going to be there for long, but my respect level has gone down since then.
Pros
breaks
Cons
rude staff
It is expected of you to arrive early, if you are not early. You are late. However, from this job I learned how to be punctual and learned a lot of things about customer service and correct store procedures. The training however was very limited and there were not many incentives.
Universal Store is a good Christmas casual job. a typical day at work includes checking the stock, tagging stock, customer service and cash handling skills. i had learnt extensive retail while being there. the hardest part of the job is that it is over staffed and there isnt enough hours to share with everyone. the most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy with their choices and work functions.
Pros
make friends and good benefits
Cons
not enough hours
Management only care about making as much money as they can. The company do not respect nor care for their customers or employees. Especially casuals. If it was a quiet day and store was not busy its the casuals fault. If a customer only came to browse and you failed to pressure them into buying two items then you're in trouble. I found in my particular store my manager was extremely racist and would often tell me to 'keep a close eye' on any dark skinned shoppers. Shifts were inconsistent and would depend on your ability to pressure pre teens into buying trash. If you were lucky enough to be rostered on you will be notified only a day or two before.. Would not recommend.
Pros
40% discount (not on sale items). Friendly other casuals
Cons
Poor management.
Found this company had little culture involved. Higher management would come in looking down at staff and are consistently negative. Very hard to find motivation. Not recommend.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Really great people to work with with a great, chill, but hardworking culture Shifts were often not organised in advanced Roster was never out until the day before Manager didn't seem to be trained
Had the friendliest staff members, manager was very nice and encouraging. Never had a terrible customer to me, everyone was always so nice. It was always a busy day, never boring! Hardest part of the job was refilling but every time I did it, I got better and better. Enjoyable part of the job is the staff. They are very down to earth and kind.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Love working in a team. I learned a lot of things. I loved Australian culture and people. I enjoyed working in multi-cultural environment. This was my first job in Australia.
Great store to work at i was pregnant while working for company and they were incredibly understanding and supportive. Great work environment and fantastic leadership from area manager and ceo. I had a fantastic experience would highly recommend.
Pros
Great bonus scheme positive working environment
Cons
Staff not turning up on time for shifts or calling in sick.
Sales techniques were confrontational and standover tactics by management to achieve targets. Learnt stock control , cash handling , and varied customer encounters.
Universal Store is the best company I have ever worked for! The COO is a one of a kind and she really cares about the people who work for the company, she is honestly the backbone for the company. The toughest challenge is balancing tough sales targets with a strong workload, you have to constantly know what everyone is doing.
Pros
Upper Upper Management
Cons
Micro Management from Direct Upper Management
  1. Employee Reviews