University of Adelaide Employee Reviews

Enjoyed teaching
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 December 2017
I enjoyed my time teaching at the University of Adelaide but the current management are very poor and do not respect their staff.

I managed a number of different courses and I enjoyed the travel that arose sometimes in my work.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
management are bad
Very friendly and safe workplace with nice colleagues
Casual Chemistry laboratory demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA17 November 2017
- Nice working environment, tasks were explained in details and supervised thoroughly.
- Great support from both supervisors and colleagues. Great work conditions.
- High salary.
- HR system needs to improve in their management.
Pros
High salary
Cons
Not professional management system (payroll, timesheet management)
Very enjoyable.
Sensory Panellist (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA1 November 2017
I enjoy the challenges, the new information and the opportunity to expand my skills and experience. It is always a learning game and I am up to it and continue to improve. My latest achievements accurately and precisely accessing Wine Body and Astringency.
Pros
Always stimulating.
Cons
Poor quality wines.
Formula SAE
Adelaide University Motorsport Team - Member (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA13 September 2017
This team is made of students who like racecars and students do not get any salaries at all for it. However, there was around 30 active members in the team, most of them are from Mech fac, some of them are from Elec fac. It provides opportunities to learn different things relate to car designing and manufacturing. I am glad and proud to be part of the team.
Pros
Able to work on things I like
Cons
As a non-paid job, sometime its workload would be a bit too high and affect academic result
Self-starting, tough environment, flaxibility and rewarding
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 September 2017
I had many roles at the University of Adelaide. I generally had flexibility to work the hours of my choosing and from home or in the office. Later roles I had the flexibility of my work focus. Assisting PhD students was highly challenging and rewarding, as was starting to work for ERIA through this role. I also did work that was wine economics focused which was enjoyable, busy and very interesting for three years. The contract was not renewed for the role I was doing due to funding constraints, if it had been, I would have stayed.
Pros
Flexibility, learning new skills, independence
Cons
No job security
Excellent University for Study
Professional Faculty (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA8 August 2017
I had an enjoyable learning experience and had many amazing friends in this university. Not only did I learn plenty of stuff about business and accounting, but also I could apply these knowledge in practice.
Very challenging and persistent day-to-day work
Higher Education Officer – Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 August 2017
Research and realise techniques and mechanisms for Atomic Layer Deposition Systems for producing ultra-thin layers of material films in collaboration with researchers from the School of Chemical Engineering. Currently, working on material morphology, functionalisation, nucleation, adhesion, deposition, synthesis and characterisation of ultra-thin films in nano-scales with 3 different projects for electronics and biomedical applications.

It is very hard and intensive at times. However, as you keeping with different researchers, students, scientists coming from different institutions and nationalities, you start to feel like a part of the world in here.

The hardest part of the job is to tackle the instrument faults at times but with time, valuable experience can be gained and they can be troubleshooted very easily.
Pros
Free coffee, tea and weekly lunch !
Cons
Sometimes, it requires overtime !
Very productive environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA30 June 2017
I worked with a great researcher and the University has a lot of great environments to work with amazing computers and support. I learned a lot about modelling and about engineering issues.
Pros
Great support from the supervisor
Enjoyable
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA13 February 2017
I had a productive and enjoyable period of employment at the University.
My work varied from undertaking recreational activities such as sports related and putting clients through health training programs.
I also was involved in Indigenous enrolments and student support at the University, including music studies.
At one point I was employed in the Faculty of Music as an Administration Assistant, again involved in student correspondence and enrolments.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Limited scope for promotion
Academic and Student Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA4 January 2017
The University of Adelaide is a great employer. There are numerous opportunities available on an on-going basis for advancement and growth. Salary is applicable to experience and expectations of employees.
Great experience whilst studying
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  The Mawson Laboratories11 February 2016
Some days were longer than others the longest being 10hrs. Tasks involved field trips, processing of rock samples in order for them to be analysed on a variety of scientific machines.
Pros
Fexible hours, over the 3 month period of employment
Cons
Some times difficult to lias with supervisor (supervisor availability)
Overally, I gained a great level of expertise of this workplace.
Research associate (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA19 October 2015
I worked as a research associate with a group of 12 researchers.
It was a challenging and at the same time creative work environment. I had the chance to work with the friendly team.
highly structured organisation
AS03 - Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide South Australia14 May 2015
Responsibilities:
Enrolments, Payments, Data entry, Preparation of information for incoming ELC students & Teachers, Allocations of classrooms, Facilities management for seminars & classes, Receptionist duties.
Cons
long hours, not flexible with work life balance
Friendly atmosphere, great coworkers, an excellent experience overall.
Barbecue volunteer (Current Employee) –  Adelaide, SA17 April 2015
I've really enjoyed volunteering with the AUU. Everyone was really nice and I made a lot of good friends whilst getting valuable job experience. I learned about efficient method of food preparation, and how these events are organised. The hardest part of the job is probably managing to talk to the customers while keeping track of your tasks, but it is also the most enjoyable as the difficulty presents a challenge you have an incentive to overcome (getting to know people).
Pros
Free food, good friends
Cons
Working outside despite wind and rain
Excellent place to work
Senior Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Adelaide, SA11 March 2015
Loads of new stuff to work on, ample opportunities for training and growth. Good work/life balance and management. Highly recommend.
Universidade australiana que disponibiliza tudo que precisamos para trabalhar
Pesquisador da área de “fraturas” (Current Employee) –  Adelaide, SA7 December 2014
A universidade disponibiliza os recursos mais modernos na área de "fratura", com supervisão adequada e competente.
A good learning experience.
Veterinary Nurse IV, Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, Roseworthy14 November 2014
Wrote and implicated SOP's and followed University Protocols.
Gained a vast experience with dealing with the academics, clinicians, specialist and researchers.
Inventory Management through Cornerstone ( Veterinary based program)
Procurement, dealing with drug representatives and forming professional relationships.
Trouble shooting.
Setting up of the purpose built pharmacy, procurement and inventory for the school.
I enjoyed the clientele, and customer support role.
I ran the administration for a double blind study.
Worked closely with other departments, with support and assistance with procurement.
I have reception skills and like dealing with the public.
A good leaning experience, but no room to further my career.
Pros
Nice building, great to work with the students.
Great opportunity and experience
Administration, data entry (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA13 November 2014
Data entry within a database was my main task for this work. How a large company manages information. Staff were very helpful with my training and task guidance. Hardest part was understanding how the business operated. The most enjoyable was sense of achievement after each task.
University of Adelaide
Research Engineer for the Department of Economics (Former Employee) –  University of Adelaide22 July 2014
Studying and working at the University of Adelaide was a memorable experience. It provided me with an opportunity to enhance my research skills through various mediums.
Great place to work, caring for laboratory animals
Technical Assistant Grade (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA20 July 2014
A typical day at work was cleaning cages of Marmoset monkeys, rats, mice, sheep and rabbits

I learned a lot about pain free testing on animals

My co workers were a great team to work with

the hardest part of the job was learning that the animals I had looked after were euthanased

The most enjoyable part of the job were caring for the animals
Pros
Flexible working hours