University of Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Melbourne Employee Reviews

My responsibilities include providing advice, guidance, and support services for human resources processes, policies, and, procedures for the employees who are currently working or worked with the University of Melbourne with a primary focus on transactional processing in Themis HR, including but not limited to on-boarding of the continuing staff, casual staff appointments, and Honorary/Visitor appointments.In addition, I also worked closely with the Finance and HR Relationship Group to provide exceptional customer service and contribute to ongoing service and process improvement activities.
Pros
Free fruits and milk for breakfast, free work stationaries
Some Departmental staff were great to work with. Generally has a positive work culture and endeavours to foster respectful workplace relationships. Not always strong on communication with casual staff.
Can't praise the management in my department enough. Very helpful and work with you all the way to help you preform at 100% all the time. Very good staff culture and team orientated with a view to deliver outstanding care, customer service and student learning experience.
Pros
O/T available, on job training, staff discount
Cons
Weekend work, fixed term contracts, discount not offered to casuals
All ways solving problem and manager was good.I was reliable, mature ,I'm committed to a high standard of service and quality. If anyone work correctly company always support to workers and supervisors always checking building and if any issue call supervisor they are always consistently respon to workers.
Oh&S needs improving sending security into labs with no protective equipment ,it was disgusting , standing out in the freezing cold and stifling hot days , not offered water or an extra break , just stay out and suffer , treated like a second class citizen
Pros
Leaving
Cons
People
no comments at all, racist people at engineering water research centre school of engineering bad experience, aggressive directors no interest in students, the worst environment
Resilient, self-motivated, and collaborative young microbiology researcher with 2-year academic experience & training of handling infectious diseases project in Australian Government regulated PC2 laboratory.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Well structured building. Motivated workgroup that supported our growth. Usually, my work was either been handling experiments on the lab bench or reading/writing scientific papers.
I cannot speak for all of Melbourne University, but my area has particularly low morale and very gossipy politics. There is a lot of grudges and talking behind each other's back, and I would recommend somebody looking to get a job here reconsider for the moment as the atmosphere has been dull for about a year. I hope for the sake of everybody there it gets better, but overall it has not been a good experience for me.
Work and life balance Good pay and welfare Comfort work environment
Good work life balance but different to corporate culture but collaborative, friendly culture. The drawback is university give preference to candidates who have previous university experience. More of public service like culture who talks theory in interview.
Big employer in Melbourne at the Number one University in Australia
In my 5 years I have not experienced a single retirement since everyone who is leaves after a couple of years and the rest have internally resigned, doing minimum work and leave after ~15y because they can’t stand it anymore. It stems from a lack of understanding of the individuals, limited professional development and a stiff career progression process.
Excellent well organised work schedule, excellent Coordinator and responsable of the work placement. Hardest part and challenging for all of us was to push us to the limit and learn every time something new and applying the knowledge and skills with the team. I really found amazing learning experience.
fun working there learning new things it was an amazing experience working at melbourne i would love working there it was a great experience very nice and gained huge amount of knowledge
My Short term contract at Melbourne University engineering department involved teaching engineering students workshops skills and safety skills. My manager and other co-workers were always very helpful and accommodating. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Melbourne Uni.
Benchwork, assignments, seminars, lab-meetings, friendly workplace culture. I had a great time learning and experience as a student. I highly recommend this University.
excellent institution. world class. rank 1st university in Australia. safe work environment. mental well being, work culture/behavior well regulated and looked after
Stimulating, supportive and reassuring. The hardest part of the job was balancing work with studies and meeting deadlines on time as well as developing frameworks to collaborate with others.
Great research facilities in a modern city. Good work life balance. International University with a diverse populace Not expected to work on weekends
The job culture here was easygoing, but never lazy. I was able to strike a great work/life balance and could work remotely when I had to. The flip-side to this was that management was occasionally haphazard, and opportunities for advancement were vague.