University of Melbourne Employee Reviews

Great experience with cooperative colleagues
Lab demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Australia4 January 2018
The Univerisity of Melbourne is a great place for students to work-part time while studying. Students are given plenty of opportunities to grow professionally.
Stimulating and fun work environment
3D Printing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 November 2017
Fun and interesting work environment. Young and open-minded colleagues continuously looking for innovation.
I learned so much about 3D printing and how to relate to clients and suppliers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to manage the manufacturing of complex parts as skulls, bones and spaceships models.
Pros
work place and pay-rate
Cons
Hard to get a job at Unimelb
School project
geotechnical engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC11 October 2017
It's a school capstone project, I have no idea that I need to submit a review of this experience. Good experience though, staff are nice and group members are supportive
Pros
Good capstone experience
Cons
only one semester, should be year-long
Study and Work all in one place!
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Parkville VIC27 September 2017
An amazing place to work, office environment supportive of students and part time work. Professional training of administrative systems and group presentations. The data entry, desk work and phone calls were balanced with campus tours, overnight stays and large lecture theatre talks.
flexible work life
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 August 2017
I really enjoy working in the Water Ecosystems Research Group at the University of Melbourne's Burnley Campus. This is an interdisciplinary group that includes hydrologists, geomorphologists, social scientists, riparian ecologists and stream ecologists and biologists.
Working for The University of Melbourne
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 July 2017
It was great to work there. I made alot of friends that I sadly left behind when I left.  I have alot of good memories.  I recommend working there. My sister is still working there after 35 years in the Political Science Department. I was in the History Department then moved to The Biochemistry Department. Under Helen Varnavas and Professor Wettenhall.
Pros
Superanuation
Cons
Academic Services - Enjoyable work with great benefits. Poor management and nepotism.
STUDENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 July 2017
I was working as a Student Service Representative within Academic Services. A typical day could see me either answering phone calls or face-to-face enquiries from both current and prospective students. I learned a great deal about the functioning of Universities and the significant level of bureaucracy that goes into their management. Some of which is very obviously redundant and self-serving.

Whilst my day to day interactions with my colleagues and managers were positive, there was a deep-running current of disrespect and indifference towards staff. I would caution this by saying this was my experience in Academic Services, particularly Stop 1 and the Contact Centre. A complete lack of trust in staff and their capabilities led to significant micromanagement. I'd squarely lay the blame at senior management's feet, as pretty much everyone else that works there are decent and kind people who will make it enjoyable to come to work.

I would underline all of this with the premise that I may just be bitter and jaded after working there a long time. If you enjoy significant direction and oversight in your work, then Stop 1 at Unimelb is the place for you.
Pros
Remuneration, flexibility, job security.
Cons
Nepotism, weak management, gargantuan bureaucracy.
Shared Services Structure of support
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 July 2017
Working through the transformation of shared services implementation. Striving for high savings benefit through Procurement.
More work in progress to achieve outcomes.
Pros
Good Open Office
Cons
Political Alignment
Just a Great Place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlton VIC27 May 2017
The University of Melbourne is an excellent place to work, the staff is very friendly and professional. They look after your needs and are very accommodating with the work life balance.
Pros
Great work / life balance
Cons
As a contractor there are no benefits or entitlements
Very little feedback on existing projects and planning.
Planning and Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carlton VIC12 May 2017
Expectation of giving more for less pay/benefits. Very difficult to fit in with academics view of your work. Difficult to carry out work with a constantly changing scope and agenda.
My time working at University of Melbourne
IT Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Gate 12, Royal Parade Parkville VIC 3052 Australia9 May 2017
During my time there, I got to see quite a lot of the inner workings of both student life and the behind the scenes of the faculty. The job taught me a lot of key interpersonal skills, working closely with University staff and students.
Nice place to learn
Master of Management Student (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 April 2017
Nice place to learn and build network. It gives us full support and guidance in career development as well as personal improvement. It emphasizes the development of people.
Excellent pay and awesome learning environment
Assistant/Farm hand Dookie College (Former Employee) –  Dookie VIC8 March 2017
Good job opportunity in Dookie, also a big learning curve and exceptional staff on hand.The best university in Australia, with the strongest culture and traditions, these characteristics transcend into the work environment and allows for a rich learning and development environment.
Pros
Always learning and gaining experience
Cons
Non
Great learning environment with friendly people
Campus sports staff (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 March 2017
Working here was a great opportunity and the days were very relaxed and not a high intensity job. Uniforms were given which were a bonus and very helpful management team.
Mentioned before
Chemistry Laboratory Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  The University of Melbourne31 January 2017
Laboratory demonstration was a challenging experience which was truely valuable which gave me a great sense of responsibility and improved my leadership skills as well as time management ability.
Pros
good pay
Cons
time consuming report marking
Good Place to work
IT Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 January 2017
The UoM is a good place to work with a good work-life balance. The management is also good but they do not consider individuals talents and experience and refer them for better career opportunities.

The job is stable good for individuals who would like to work till retirement, not a place to move up in career.

Hence i am looking for new and challenging roles that will boost my career and help me to grow and succeed.
Great Work Life Balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 December 2016
Ability to learn about so many different businesses all within the one employer. This can however also be challenging to get projects easily delivered.
Professional and advanced organisation
Deployment and Support Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 November 2016
Multi culture atmosphere with friendly staff. A place to grow your profession in any aspect. I've learner a lot during my career in University of Melbourne and have expanded mu knowledge.
A diverse and interesting role.
Student Service and Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 October 2016
I enjoyed assisting both students, academics, and various other stakeholders. The work was varied and involved multiple tasks across a wide range of areas.
Fees Officer
Student Services Fees Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Australia16 October 2016
Positive environment, opportunity for personal and career growth.
Regular training offered.
Excellent benefits.
Outstanding facilities
High pressure job
Pros
Career advancement