University of Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Melbourne Employee Reviews

Australia88 reviews
Productive and fun place
Resilient, self-motivated, and collaborative young microbiology researcher with 2-year academic experience & training of handling infectious diseases project in Australian Government regulated PC2 laboratory.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Productive and organized work place
Well structured building. Motivated workgroup that supported our growth. Usually, my work was either been handling experiments on the lab bench or reading/writing scientific papers.
Bland and management is not particularly caring
I cannot speak for all of Melbourne University, but my area has particularly low morale and very gossipy politics. There is a lot of grudges and talking behind each other's back, and I would recommend somebody looking to get a job here reconsider for the moment as the atmosphere has been dull for about a year. I hope for the sake of everybody there it gets better, but overall it has not been a good experience for me.
Excellent workplace
Work and life balance
Good pay and welfare

Comfort work environment
Good Experience
Good work life balance but different to corporate culture but collaborative, friendly culture. The drawback is university give preference to candidates who have previous university experience. More of public service like culture who talks theory in interview.
Big employer in Melbourne at the Number one University in Australia
A University that churns through many employees
In my 5 years I have not experienced a single retirement since everyone who is leaves after a couple of years and the rest have internally resigned, doing minimum work and leave after ~15y because they can’t stand it anymore.
It stems from a lack of understanding of the individuals, limited professional development and a stiff career progression process.
Excellent experience of work placement, sharing and applying knowledge
Excellent well organised work schedule, excellent Coordinator and responsable of the work placement.
Hardest part and challenging for all of us was to push us to the limit and learn every time something new and applying the knowledge and skills with the team.

I really found amazing learning experience.
productive
fun working there learning new things it was an amazing experience working at melbourne i would love working there it was a great experience very nice and gained huge amount of knowledge
Short term contract teaching in engineering workshop at Melbourne University Carlton campus
My Short term contract at Melbourne University engineering department involved teaching engineering students workshops skills and safety skills. My manager and other co-workers were always very helpful and accommodating. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Melbourne Uni.
Productive and fun.
Benchwork, assignments, seminars, lab-meetings, friendly workplace culture. I had a great time learning and experience as a student. I highly recommend this University.
pretigious
excellent institution. world class. rank 1st university in Australia. safe work environment. mental well being, work culture/behavior well regulated and looked after
Productive and Fun workplace
Stimulating, supportive and reassuring. The hardest part of the job was balancing work with studies and meeting deadlines on time as well as developing frameworks to collaborate with others.
Nice campus in the middle of a vibrant city
Great research facilities in a modern city.
Good work life balance.

International University with a diverse populace

Not expected to work on weekends
Easygoing work environment, friendly staff
The job culture here was easygoing, but never lazy. I was able to strike a great work/life balance and could work remotely when I had to.

The flip-side to this was that management was occasionally haphazard, and opportunities for advancement were vague.
Creative & Efficient
Fantastic to be a part of Indonesian Career Expo.
Was able to balance between my Neuroscience studies with this creative project quite well & efficiently.
I worked here as a plumber for 25 years and wish I had never left. It gave me great opportunities to learn a multitude of skills which I will carry forward into the future. :-)
Productive, Fun, and friendly workplace
Friendly environment with very good management. The job itself was fulfilling and satisfying. I enjoyed every minutes of it and I learned so many things.
Fun
Its a good university that provide a lot of guidance and support from staff and provide a lot of opportunity to us in order to be more motivated and more prepared after graduate.
Educational workplace with friendly academic staff
The university is staffed with friendly academics who diligently discharge their duties and make students who work alongside them feel as though they are a part of the team.
Great work environment with lots of green space
Great people to work and I love all the green space to have lunch in. Faculty management can be a bit slow with approving things which can be frustrating at times.