University of New South Wales
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of New South Wales Employee Reviews

Australia107 reviews
Featured review
University of New South Wales selected this as a representative review
excellent academic environment
excellent academic environment advances research and literature survey skills in a resepectful manner multicultural etc highly uplifting only wish there was a more significant sense of belonging to the School or Faculty as a group as there are group gatherings only available about once a year and this is not enough apart from that everything wonderful and also a nice and pleasant location and excellent teachers and supervisors
Pros
supportive academic environment, sports, volunteer opportunities, location
Cons
lack of engagement with other researchers at the school
Impressive
Big organisation with lots of amazing projects from an academic perspective. Very impressive campus. Very smart, intelligent people. I enjoyed working there.
I am looking for a casual job to keep fit and healthy
I am wanting a casual job to maintain a good health style.unsw had a hectic busy pace for both staff and students. The work was very rewarding but.Students who studied at unsw were very satisfied.
work/life balance is not good
UNSW was good/supportive for me when I was a student. Things become quite different when become a full time staff.
You have to be very good at saying no to achieve some sort of work/life balance.
Depends on which team you're working in
UNSW Sydney (the University of New South Wales) is one of Australia's leading research and teaching universities. It generates over $2b p.a. and recently launched an ambitious $3b+ Strategic programme.
I had Design internship Job
I was in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment and start designing for real projects. It helps my communication skills in a multidisciplinary environment.
Great campus
A terrific campus and many great staff are the chief positives. On the downside some classes are 90 per cent international students with often very limited English who are in drastic need of remedial help.
Pros
A terrific campus and many great staff
Cons
Language challenges with many students.
Poorly managed and lip service to employees they offer no support
UNSW does not care about their employees. They perscribe workloads that appear reasonable but then dump extra jobs
On you through hidden mechanisms. It has a history of bullying and a very male dominated culture. The women in high level posistions act and behave like men and are unsupportive of women. They will lie to their employees in order to manipulate them into performing tasks that are not part of their job. Would not recommend this to anyone
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of New South Wales?
Researching staff
I have read some of your recent publications about centralized battery systems in apartment buildings, and how you are modeling this idea whilst taking into account its economic scenarios. I would like to do a research on this topic so that I can design and build a complete system that I envisaged in my MS
Good for people who like less-stressful environment
Good university, good reputation
Staffs and teachers are very well educated and friendly, a lot of help can be provided when joining the university, work-life balance is good
innovative and fun workplace
I love working at UNSW. Very Avangard classroom facilities, I get lots of independence and I feel trusted.
The only downside is the fact that it's contract work, so there is always that job insecurity feeling, otherwise, it's a great place to work.
Everything is great!
I think UNSW has a great workplace, great colleagues and a great environment! Highly recommended to whoever that has gotten an offer from UNSW. You will not regret it!
Educational Organisation
Culture of meetings & group activities taking up most of the day. Large amount of work duplicated or triplicated. IT extremely unreliable and slow. Difficult location to commute to.
productive, educational and enjoyable.
i was a student at the university learning about energy management and energy technologies.i enjoy with my colleagues from other countries. and know more of their cultures.
I was very happy to work there!
I have worked there as a tutor of maths physics and chemistry.
I stopped working there because of illness. I would be very happy to work again in this institution
Good Opportunities
So many amazing researchers and educators - fabulous benefits

Great strategy

Some pockets of high performing cultures

Good career opportunities for academics
Small month long internship UNSW
This internship gave us an understandings of the engineering field b going to locations around sydney and applying our physical and theoretical knowledge into our jobs and our lives.
Productive, collaborative and fun place to work. Great team.
Great place to work and learn. Challenged to upskill and be involved. Good management and excellent culture from my personal view. Typical 9 to 5 kind of job. You have time for your annual leave and are encouraged to take it. I was significantly developed and learnt to use various industry tools. I will recommend UNSW.
Considerate of employees
All additional hours are well recorded, additional payment were never missed. Great support for employees with a systematic tutor training program. Great.
Supportive academic environment, sports, volunteer opportunities, location
The University of New South Wales is an Australian public research university located in the Sydney suburb of Kensington. Out of all Australian universities, UNSW has the highest median ATAR and attracts the highest number of top 500 students. Wikipedia
Nice people
Resistance to change. Lack of direction. Multiple teams working at different objectives which can cause friction. Projects can have funding pulled before completion.
Pros
Nice Campus
Cons
Friction between Directors, Friction between Managers, and between teams.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New South Wales. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2