University of New South Wales Employee Reviews

A Fun workplace
Professional Development Programme Intern (Former Employee) –  Kensington15 August 2018
I was there for a brief time as a student intern. It was a great experience. I learnt a lot about how programmes and projects are managed by the university.
Pros
great suppportive colleagues
Nice and encourage atmosphere and encouraging people to work with
Financial Control Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 August 2018
I started 8 month ago at the UNSW and since then I learn every day. Professional work colleagues, managers, etc. Multicultural enviroment. I totally recomend to everyone working at the University. I love it!
Pros
Morning teas, b-day cakes, almost every week. It is a beautiful moment to have a chat with your work colleagues.
Cons
More permanent positions and less internal contractors.
Don't plan on a long term job in the current climate
Senior Building Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Kensington NSW26 July 2018
I enjoyed the faculties I worked with but the change process was daunting. The reorganization has disposed of internal knowledge in the idea that it will be replaced with terabytes with systems that are years away from being effective.
Cons
Restructure is detrimental
Corporate, scholary university
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 July 2018
Working as a casual academic teacher, fellow colleagues were friendly and approachable. Teachers are often recruited based on industry experience. Great autonomy.
Highly flexible and reputable working place
Ph.D. Candidate & Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 May 2018
UNSW is amongst the best universities in the world to work and study, and so it is in terms of facilities. Accessibility and flexibility is high and culturally engaging.
Pros
Gym access, cafes and restaurants, facilities, flexibility
Cons
Low wage salaries, expensive area to live
working with young enthusiastic personel
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2018
Since my completion of working at the UNSW they have upgraded some of the facility making it a better environment for members.

I loved working with the children and helping them to swim and grow confident around the water.

I found the management to be a little bit absent from what was going on and needed them to be more present in the environment.

My income was less of what less experienced staff were earning. This was not fair.

However, I was made to study and learn more about the campas I found this very beneficial.
Pros
Cons
Over worked under paid
Very productive and place of ample opportunities
Clinical Fellow of Obstetrics & Gynaecologist (Former Employee) –  New South Wales22 February 2018
Its a place where multicultural people work. You make friends with people from all over the world and learn from them.
Knowledge and hard work is respected and appreciated.
Pros
health insurance, working culture
Cons
Work load huge, limited labour
Unsw
Business Society Philanthropy Portfolio Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 February 2018
Great place to study
Competitive environment
Freebies everywhere
Friednly culture, besides some societies
Extracurricular Events are everywhere
Good place
Productive, fun environment
Art and Design Open Day Event Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 February 2018
- Fun, fast paced environment
- Lots of experience to gain from team communication to customer service
- Great management
- Very supportive workplace
Challenging but fun workplace
Accounting Seminar Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kensington NSW16 January 2018
Start of with seminar lectures, followed by tutorial questions and then a final quiz. It is in an informal environment where students get lots of opportunities to participate in class.
It was tough and lot of mind work invloved
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 December 2017
Working hours were flexible and the role was target oriented. The working environment was excellent but I lack the technical support from supervisor however the moral support was always there.
Pros
Challenging and task oriented environment
Cons
Lack of JD
Supportive work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kensington NSW27 October 2017
Very supportive and friendly staff. Good salary and financial stability. Potential to grow and develop a career. Availability of flexible working hours and work life balance.
Great people, good pay
Simultaneous interpreter, translator, educator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 October 2017
This is a great academic place to work in, even as casual, but there were limited opportunities for full-time and permanent employment. The pay was good.
Work with fun and learn new things.
Research Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT19 September 2017
I had a great time working there, as I have learned a range of new things and met new people. I have mustered new skills of interacting with people and solving problems.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee sometimes, friendly people around, nice supervisor
Cons
Far away from home
Technical and Engaging
Technical Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney20 August 2017
The job is very fluid and we are expected to use our ac-crewed knowledge and experience in Mechanical trades and industry to try and support and formulate ideas and design for researchers and post docs. We also manufacture jobs for student projects and thesis works which again take a lot of input from our side to try and flesh out what the student wants, as their experience is generally lackluster.

We also are in charge of the workings of the mechanical laboratory's in terms of preparing for any new initiatives seminars or functions taking place.
Pros
Great working conditions and great engaging work
Cons
Job security due to current restructuring
Academic (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT3 August 2017
A good place to work. I learnt alot about competitive research environments. The most enoyable part of the job was working with students. A typical day at work involved a lot of multitasking.
Pros
Lots of student contacts
Cons
Very long hours of work
UNSW is a dinamic worplace to diversify career
Finance Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 July 2017
It's great opportunity to work at UNSW where I have learned to build up my career in term of complex accounting system and where we have 200 different type of grants along with teaching revenue and 80% of the cost are associate with people cost.
Amazing work experience
Visiting Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney Australia14 April 2017
It was very please place to be. I met good people and I still in touch with them. Very safe place to be. Australia is one of the best country in the to live.
Unsw
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 March 2017
Salary and remuneration benefits are good but advancement/career progression is very limited.
I enjoy the autonomy and working with many different personalities.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
limited career progression
Startup intern (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia24 March 2017
My supervisor was very helpful and supportive during my internship and provided me with guidance on the projects that I was assigned to handle. I was provided numerous opportunities to interact and network with the employees working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New South Wales. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3