University of New South Wales
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of New South Wales Employee Reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Productive and fun workplace

I worked there briefly as a data-miner for an art archive website. It lasted only for about a month but the hourly pay was decent. Good extra cash for students.

Inconsistent overall

Job security was fine until COVID-19 hit and the Vice Chancellor chose to restructure the entire workforce throughout the University cutting many jobs. Confidence was lost when those that were left were asked to do more with less.

Pros

Parking availability; onsite amenities.

Cons

Lack of consistent and positive leadership

Very good uni to work for

Very friendly environment, kind staff members who would be happy to help, great supervisor. I spend almost 5 years in the University, never had a conflict or faced a problem, the only reason I had to leave for is to continue my PhD in the same University, and I did.

Good place to work with great and intelligent people

Had a good time working at UNSW. Operates in silos but it is a big organisation. Have to put a lot of effort in to get recognised but working with everyone is pretty good. A lot of great minds in this organisation. Career progression in this role was very limited.

Good place to work with great and intelligent people

Impressive

Big organisation with lots of amazing projects from an academic perspective. Very impressive campus. Very smart, intelligent people. I enjoyed working there.

I am looking for a casual job to keep fit and healthy

I am wanting a casual job to maintain a good health style.unsw had a hectic busy pace for both staff and students. The work was very rewarding but.Students who studied at unsw were very satisfied.

work/life balance is not good

UNSW was good/supportive for me when I was a student. Things become quite different when become a full time staff. You have to be very good at saying no to achieve some sort of work/life balance.

Depends on which team you're working in

UNSW Sydney (the University of New South Wales) is one of Australia's leading research and teaching universities. It generates over $2b p.a. and recently launched an ambitious $3b+ Strategic programme.

I had Design internship Job

I was in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment and start designing for real projects. It helps my communication skills in a multidisciplinary environment.

Jobs at University of New South Wales

See more jobs

Great campus

A terrific campus and many great staff are the chief positives. On the downside some classes are 90 per cent international students with often very limited English who are in drastic need of remedial help.

Pros

A terrific campus and many great staff

Cons

Language challenges with many students.

Poorly managed and lip service to employees they offer no support

UNSW does not care about their employees. They perscribe workloads that appear reasonable but then dump extra jobs On you through hidden mechanisms. It has a history of bullying and a very male dominated culture. The women in high level posistions act and behave like men and are unsupportive of women. They will lie to their employees in order to manipulate them into performing tasks that are not part of their job. Would not recommend this to anyone

Researching staff

I have read some of your recent publications about centralized battery systems in apartment buildings, and how you are modeling this idea whilst taking into account its economic scenarios. I would like to do a research on this topic so that I can design and build a complete system that I envisaged in my MS

Good for people who like less-stressful environment

Good university, good reputation Staffs and teachers are very well educated and friendly, a lot of help can be provided when joining the university, work-life balance is good

innovative and fun workplace

I love working at UNSW. Very Avangard classroom facilities, I get lots of independence and I feel trusted. The only downside is the fact that it's contract work, so there is always that job insecurity feeling, otherwise, it's a great place to work.

Everything is great!

I think UNSW has a great workplace, great colleagues and a great environment! Highly recommended to whoever that has gotten an offer from UNSW. You will not regret it!

Educational Organisation

Culture of meetings & group activities taking up most of the day. Large amount of work duplicated or triplicated. IT extremely unreliable and slow. Difficult location to commute to.

productive, educational and enjoyable.

i was a student at the university learning about energy management and energy technologies.i enjoy with my colleagues from other countries. and know more of their cultures.

I was very happy to work there!

I have worked there as a tutor of maths physics and chemistry. I stopped working there because of illness. I would be very happy to work again in this institution

Good Opportunities

So many amazing researchers and educators - fabulous benefits Great strategy Some pockets of high performing cultures Good career opportunities for academics

Small month long internship UNSW

This internship gave us an understandings of the engineering field b going to locations around sydney and applying our physical and theoretical knowledge into our jobs and our lives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New South Wales. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

• University of New South Wales
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?