University of New South Wales Employee Reviews

Australia125 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Great university

In fact, I am just a student, but I have gained a lot at UNSW. The school system is efficient and the facilities are well equipped. Although there is pressure to study, the atmosphere is relatively relaxed and the teachers are friendly and professional.

Lots of equipments and instruments

The location is not so good, but lots of facilities for scientists and engineers. The stipend is too small unless you have teaching. Can be extremely competitive

Casual Academic

little job securitylittle communication with the universityok job since my role was to take tutorials for a CSE classgood hourly rate, but little hours offered

It's a great University

There are great teachers and not so great teachers. Throughout my 2 years of studying at UNSW, I've only had a few good teachers, but I think this is most likely due to the fact that these teachers haven't fully adapted to the online lectures that are forced upon them due to the pandemic.

Pros

High education

Cons

Stressful

Supportive and all inclusive environment

Very good organisation to work for. Contemporary, flexible and supportive. Would prefer permanent full time work however only temporary contract on offer.

Collaborative culture

Great company to work at. Colleagues are helpful. It can be challenging and stressful during assessment periods, but overall there is a good level of work life balance.

excellent place to work for

great people, fantastic campus, truly enjoyed my experience at UNSW, research can be stressful at times but overall very rewarding. only thing about postdoc is to consider what's next from your current role, and to make sure you work with a supervisor who cares about your development

Productive and efficient workplace

I enjoyed my time at UNSW. Services are professional, it is a diverse and inclusive workplace where each member is valued. Promotion and career progression practices could be improved

Good univeristy.

Very good univeristy and reseach team. Funding to perform research is not an issue. Work life balance can be bad depending on your PhD project, but it is the same everywhere.

Good place to work but hard to get a tenure

University has all sorts of benefits such as working with young and smart people, work/life balance policy, etc. But nowadays it is very hard to get a stable contract such as a lecturer or senior lecturer for a Ph.D. And the payment is good for entry-mid level staff but not so good for mid-senior level professionals.

Pros

University of New South Wales

Cons

University of New South Wales

Good company

Great place to work. Supportive environment and friendly staff. People are respective. The salary is good for a casual worker. Work life balance is awesome.

Great culture

Great culture, great location, frendly staff - lots of lots of politics - working with faculties there are tight budgets, not much room for career development

Employer of choice

UNSW provides its employees with a supportive and nurturing culture. It promotes diversity and inclusion and provides employees with an opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

Pros

Physical environment and culture

Cons

Little appetite to improve processes

Productive and fun workplace

I worked there briefly as a data-miner for an art archive website. It lasted only for about a month but the hourly pay was decent. Good extra cash for students.

Inconsistent overall

Job security was fine until COVID-19 hit and the Vice Chancellor chose to restructure the entire workforce throughout the University cutting many jobs. Confidence was lost when those that were left were asked to do more with less.

Pros

Parking availability; onsite amenities.

Cons

Lack of consistent and positive leadership

Very good uni to work for

Very friendly environment, kind staff members who would be happy to help, great supervisor. I spend almost 5 years in the University, never had a conflict or faced a problem, the only reason I had to leave for is to continue my PhD in the same University, and I did.

Good place to work with great and intelligent people

Had a good time working at UNSW. Operates in silos but it is a big organisation. Have to put a lot of effort in to get recognised but working with everyone is pretty good. A lot of great minds in this organisation. Career progression in this role was very limited.

Good place to work with great and intelligent people

Impressive

Big organisation with lots of amazing projects from an academic perspective. Very impressive campus. Very smart, intelligent people. I enjoyed working there.

I am looking for a casual job to keep fit and healthy

I am wanting a casual job to maintain a good health style.unsw had a hectic busy pace for both staff and students. The work was very rewarding but.Students who studied at unsw were very satisfied.

work/life balance is not good

UNSW was good/supportive for me when I was a student. Things become quite different when become a full time staff. You have to be very good at saying no to achieve some sort of work/life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New South Wales. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare University of New South Wales with

• University of New South Wales
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?