University of New South Wales Employee Reviews for Researcher

Featured review
University of New South Wales selected this as a representative review
excellent academic environment
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Kensington NSW19 January 2019
excellent academic environment advances research and literature survey skills in a resepectful manner multicultural etc highly uplifting only wish there was a more significant sense of belonging to the School or Faculty as a group as there are group gatherings only available about once a year and this is not enough apart from that everything wonderful and also a nice and pleasant location and excellent teachers and supervisors
Pros
supportive academic environment, sports, volunteer opportunities, location
Cons
lack of engagement with other researchers at the school
Lots of funding but poor management
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 April 2019
-UNSW successfully receives a lot of funding every year in comparison to other universities in Australia however the output is very poor.
-The universities credentials and prestige is reliant on the productivity of a few labs (mainly computer science and engineering) only while the rest of the labs are sub-par.
-Researchers at UNSW are mainly concerned with status and benefits rather than producing quality research.
-Most of the research is very shallow and can be picked apart fairly easy however with good politics low quality research can be published easily.
-Salary is extremely generous at UNSW. This is to attract scientist by money rather than the quality research.
-If considering going here to pursue a career in a research I would heavily advise to do thorough research on the lab of interest and think critically about the work being published and not just where the work is published (i.e. Nature, Nature, Nature).
-However, I do highly recommend attending the university as a student. Student services and programs are plenty and will provide a rich experience and many platforms for new undergraduate/postgraduate students.
Pros
Lots of funding
Cons
Poor management, low productivity (besides a few labs), work quality is low (again besides a few labs)
It was tough and lot of mind work invloved
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 December 2017
Working hours were flexible and the role was target oriented. The working environment was excellent but I lack the technical support from supervisor however the moral support was always there.
Pros
Challenging and task oriented environment
Cons
Lack of JD
Amazing work experience
Visiting Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney Australia14 April 2017
It was very please place to be. I met good people and I still in touch with them. Very safe place to be. Australia is one of the best country in the to live.
Cutting Edge Research
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  Canberra3 October 2015
UNSW has seasoned me to pursue my dream of becoming a data scientist. The journey of PhD has made me robust enough to face any challenge as a future leader in IT industry as well as an academician.
Pros
Splendid Support Staffs
Cons
Long Resaerch Hours