University of Newcastle
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Newcastle Employee Reviews

Australia38 reviews
expansive workplace, with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, multicultural staff and student community, creativity and innovation encouraged and supported
Bullies poor work culture.bad treatment of casual staff.poor communication.poor support.no career advancement.clicky culture.disorganised.lack of feedback.lack of course coordination.strong personalities.good pay though
I worked as a PhD student and enjoyed the research environment provided by the University of Newcastle. I did an extensive physical model of pressure grouted soil nail and for that, I developed an experimental setup, which was the hardest part of my research works. I worked in a team and I got significant supports from my lab manager and technicians to develop my apparatus.
It was a great role to have during university study. The pay was great. The hours were not flexible and quite scattered, which was due to the nature of the job.
Most of the professors are knowledgeable. University has good resources and people are quite supportive here. Australia is a nice place to live, nice weather and beautiful beaches.
Long term casualisation - poor job security
Need to "know somebody" to get anywhere

workplace culture does not necessarily reflect workplace policies

good pay & hours, but that alone doesn't keep staff.
It is great place to kick start your career if you have no prior experience. I would recommend this place to help cope with your studies as long as you are a student at University.

If you are looking for further opportunities, it may not always be available but there are lots of internal opportunities if you are hired and in the zones.

They truly encourage forward thinking and have a growth mindset. We open and friendly to the whole world and surrounding communities.
Inspiring place to work. Good and helpful management. Great working experience. Skill advancement. Would recommend to others as a great place to work.
Amazing place to work at, felt loved, respected and motivated. Great scope of work. A Fun place to work at to enhance your personality and grow in all aspects professionally.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Newcastle?
Excellent investment and test bed of advanced technology. Was lucky to work with exceptional mentor. Also an organisation that capitalised on vendor support and advise. Was contracting via agency. I would work there again if an opportunity arises.
Pros
Advanced technology Visionary management
Cons
Watched like a hawk
Great new facilities and new spaces to learn outdoors aswell. Within my time here I gained many new friends through out their O-week activities which were excellent.
nice people to work with, good pay for teaching position.
course outline are given very clearly so easy to know what to focus.

course coordinators are usually helpful.
Academics and supervisors at the University of Newcastle are knowledgeable and supportive. The University of Newcastle provides a scholarship which includes health insurance, living allowance, and tuition fee for PhD candidates.
A young and thriving university in a quiet, but beautiful city.

The University of Newcastle is a research intensive university and a leading contributor to research in Australia and the world. Across many discipline areas, UON researchers are making discoveries that offer solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges.
The job was promoting the university, demonstrating a recreation of the Michelson Morley experiment and educating year HSC physics 12 students. I was well paid for my time.
Management treated me well and I was treated with professional respect.

The only criticism I have is that I struggled with the HRonline system which was necessary for the administration officer for the school of mathematics and physical sciences to authorise my pay. As a result I was paid later then expected.
Pros
comfortable job, great pay, When I could see students better understood Einstein's special relativity.
Cons
HRonline, Inefficient bureaucracy
While it is difficult to make everyone happy the University of Newcastle rates the wellness of their employees highly.
Flexibility, wellness and training are part of the ongoing campaign to ensure UON's commitment to attracting great staff and looking after them is fulfilled.

UON faces the same challenges of all business today in having to ensure sustainability both economically and environmentally.

As a result change is the new norm, and the working environment is fast paced, highly challenging and extremely rewarding.
Pros
Working for an educational institution focused on excellence
Cons
Extremely heavy workload
As a student at the university I found the staff to be very helpful and engaged. Instruction was challenging yet the instructors were interesting in furthering student knowledge rather than stressing a point of view.
It is a small business, with a great local community and support. With short shifts doing take-away, dine in and deliveries. The job involves general waitressing, driving and taking phone calls.
Pros
15% disscount
Cons
Usually only 3-4 shifts a week only 3-4hours
Orari flessibili, autonomia di lavoro. Autonomia nella gestione delle tempistiche di lavoro. Massima disponibilità da parte del supervisore. Disponibilità di strumentazione all'avanguardia
The University of Newcastle was a great opportunity, and great introduction, to the video production industry.

There were plenty of opportunities to improve my skills and abilities, as well as being able to give helpful and creative input to future videos.

The work culture was very warm and welcoming, everyone quickly became friends and was looking forward to coming into work each day.

The most difficult part of the job was the lack of advancement, and future potential of the role. There was a lack of future development and advancement which sometimes made things difficult.

Overall the best thing about the role was the ability to create videos that I was proud of, while having the ability to continually improve on my work.
Pros
Creative input and respected ideas
Cons
No advancement
did not protect students from bullying while on placements from teaching registered nurses. Good curriculum although the whole course would be better if there was more hands on training.