University of Newcastle Employee Reviews

PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  at University of Newcastle, New South Wales19 February 2019
Academics and supervisors at the University of Newcastle are knowledgeable and supportive. The University of Newcastle provides a scholarship which includes health insurance, living allowance, and tuition fee for PhD candidates.
A young and thriving university
Casual Academic Staff (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW11 December 2018
A young and thriving university in a quiet, but beautiful city.

The University of Newcastle is a research intensive university and a leading contributor to research in Australia and the world. Across many discipline areas, UON researchers are making discoveries that offer solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges.
Fun and useful work experiance
Casual Academic (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW7 August 2018
The job was promoting the university, demonstrating a recreation of the Michelson Morley experiment and educating year HSC physics 12 students. I was well paid for my time.
Management treated me well and I was treated with professional respect.
The only criticism I have is that I struggled with the HRonline system which was necessary for the administration officer for the school of mathematics and physical sciences to authorise my pay. As a result I was paid later then expected.
Pros
comfortable job, great pay, When I could see students better understood Einstein's special relativity.
Cons
HRonline, Inefficient bureaucracy
UON is a large and complex educational institution aiming to be the very best in University in the world.
Team Leader Revenue Accounting (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW21 June 2018
While it is difficult to make everyone happy the University of Newcastle rates the wellness of their employees highly.
Flexibility, wellness and training are part of the ongoing campaign to ensure UON's commitment to attracting great staff and looking after them is fulfilled.
UON faces the same challenges of all business today in having to ensure sustainability both economically and environmentally.

As a result change is the new norm, and the working environment is fast paced, highly challenging and extremely rewarding.
Pros
Working for an educational institution focused on excellence
Cons
Extremely heavy workload
Student views
Masters degree student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, AU17 May 2018
As a student at the university I found the staff to be very helpful and engaged. Instruction was challenging yet the instructors were interesting in furthering student knowledge rather than stressing a point of view.
Student (Current Employee) –  Callaghan NSW20 April 2018
It is a small business, with a great local community and support. With short shifts doing take-away, dine in and deliveries. The job involves general waitressing, driving and taking phone calls.
Pros
15% disscount
Cons
Usually only 3-4 shifts a week only 3-4hours
Ambiente altamente stimolante
Internship (Former Employee) –  New South Wales8 April 2018
Orari flessibili, autonomia di lavoro. Autonomia nella gestione delle tempistiche di lavoro. Massima disponibilità da parte del supervisore. Disponibilità di strumentazione all'avanguardia
Great Creative Beginnings
Casual Peer to Peer Communication (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW27 February 2018
The University of Newcastle was a great opportunity, and great introduction, to the video production industry.

There were plenty of opportunities to improve my skills and abilities, as well as being able to give helpful and creative input to future videos.

The work culture was very warm and welcoming, everyone quickly became friends and was looking forward to coming into work each day.

The most difficult part of the job was the lack of advancement, and future potential of the role. There was a lack of future development and advancement which sometimes made things difficult.

Overall the best thing about the role was the ability to create videos that I was proud of, while having the ability to continually improve on my work.
Pros
Creative input and respected ideas
Cons
No advancement
poor facilitation
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW23 January 2018
did not protect students from bullying while on placements from teaching registered nurses. Good curriculum although the whole course would be better if there was more hands on training.
Great Work/Life Balance - no job security
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Callaghan NSW27 November 2017
have been at the Uni for over 15 years and have never had a permanent position. Contracts continually roll over, increasing the tension with each employee to maintain their position. Not a great culture, which is coming from the top. Most employees I know are disgruntled at the lack of support they receive, and the workload is unsustainable.
Pros
flexible working arrangements
Cons
no job security
Cheerful environment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW7 November 2017
The work culture at the University of Newcastle is cheerful. Employees often greet their co-workers on their achievement. It is a multicultural workplace, people across from the globe work here.
Stock Standard reception job
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW17 July 2017
Very simple reception job with very competitive remuneration.

Job security is low in general due to a culture of short term contract work and management structure changes frequently.
Helping people achieve their goals
Community Programs Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW7 June 2017
Daily interacted and supported students that were grateful with the support that they were receiving. Absolutely loved interacting with students and the community and coordinating various programs that supported students and supporting them with integrating into the community both mentally and physically.
Pros
Fulfilment
Challenging enviroment
Senior Works Supervisor, Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW20 February 2017
Finding the required common ground between academia, the built environment, agreed level of service and funding allocation, were a a unique challenge each day.
University Research Clinician
Speech Pathologist Research Clinician (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, Australia16 January 2017
Collection of qualitative research data based on life satisfaction for adults living with aphasia, post stroke, across Sydney and Newcastle regions...
Great Team of People
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ourimbah NSW27 November 2016
Very good pay rates
Flexible working conditions
Friendly and approachable staff and management
Understanding of study commitments, family commitments and other work commitments
An amazing place to get ahead
Casual Academic (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW25 September 2016
The University of Newcastle is a vibrate young university located 120 kms north of Sydney. The University offers a wide range of jobs from administration to teaching and research.

The University of Newcastle allowed me to further my career while doing my PhD by providing a wide range of opportunities in both research and teaching.

I would recommend the University of Newcastle to anyone looking for a job at a University.
Typical Government University
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW21 August 2016
They try hard and are probably one of the better universities in Australia, certainly one of the best regional universities. However, the culture attracts the wrong people and doesn't retain the best and brightest. This criticism applies to all Australian universities. They need more private sector involvement and more flexibility to pay the better staff well. However, at present they are hampered by a monopoly employer. But generally a nice and friendly environment and pleasant place to work.
Respected Australian Universty ranked in the top 3% in the world
Course Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW22 April 2016
Exceptional university, I have worked here for many years in many roles and consider it a privilege to be part of the team delivering quality tertiary education.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, NSW31 January 2016
I have worked with a team of Engineering students and developed a new ceiling/ wall board, called "Aceboard.I have lead some phases of the project.