University of Newcastle

43: University of Newcastle Employee Reviews

Australia43 reviews

4.3Work–Life Balance

Supportive environment. Good pay. Recommended.

It really depends on the department you’re employed with. I worked in the disability unit. The staff were supportive and the pay was good. However, there is many contract positions so it’s good temporary.

Terrible

Bullies poor work culture.bad treatment of casual staff.poor communication.poor support.no career advancement.clicky culture.disorganised.lack of feedback.lack of course coordination.strong personalities.good pay though

expansive workplace with plenty of opportunities

expansive workplace, with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, multicultural staff and student community, creativity and innovation encouraged and supported

it was a enjoyable journey

I worked as a PhD student and enjoyed the research environment provided by the University of Newcastle. I did an extensive physical model of pressure grouted soil nail and for that, I developed an experimental setup, which was the hardest part of my research works. I worked in a team and I got significant supports from my lab manager and technicians to develop my apparatus.

Gg

It was a great role to have during university study. The pay was great. The hours were not flexible and quite scattered, which was due to the nature of the job.

The place is quite relaxed

Most of the professors are knowledgeable. University has good resources and people are quite supportive here. Australia is a nice place to live, nice weather and beautiful beaches.

Good & Bad

Long term casualisation - poor job security Need to "know somebody" to get anywhere workplace culture does not necessarily reflect workplace policies good pay & hours, but that alone doesn't keep staff.

Productive and Fun workplace

It is great place to kick start your career if you have no prior experience. I would recommend this place to help cope with your studies as long as you are a student at University. If you are looking for further opportunities, it may not always be available but there are lots of internal opportunities if you are hired and in the zones. They truly encourage forward thinking and have a growth mindset. We open and friendly to the whole world and surrounding communities.

Inspiring place to work

Inspiring place to work. Good and helpful management. Great working experience. Skill advancement. Would recommend to others as a great place to work.

Productive and Engaging

Amazing place to work at, felt loved, respected and motivated. Great scope of work. A Fun place to work at to enhance your personality and grow in all aspects professionally.

Innovative Proactive University Environment

Excellent investment and test bed of advanced technology. Was lucky to work with exceptional mentor. Also an organisation that capitalised on vendor support and advise. Was contracting via agency. I would work there again if an opportunity arises.

Pros

Advanced technology Visionary management

Cons

Watched like a hawk

Good and educative

Highly rewarding, learning new things ondaily basis. Directing students and setting up laboratory lab for students practical work. Flexible work hours and highly educative environment for learning.

Very interactive learning environment.

Great new facilities and new spaces to learn outdoors aswell. Within my time here I gained many new friends through out their O-week activities which were excellent.

Productive and fun workplace

I have highly enjoyed working at the Newcastle University. The workplace culture is indescribable, the most friendly collegues you will ever work with.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

N/a

nice people to work with

nice people to work with, good pay for teaching position. course outline are given very clearly so easy to know what to focus. course coordinators are usually helpful.

Great experience while it lasted

I enjoyed my time with UON sadly the program lost funding. The avid program catered for students across the central coast who's learning did not fit the industrial model.

Academics and supervisors at the University of Newcastle are knowledgeable and supportive. The University of Newcastle provides a scholarship which includes health insurance, living allowance, and tuition fee for PhD candidates.

A young and thriving university

A young and thriving university in a quiet, but beautiful city. The University of Newcastle is a research intensive university and a leading contributor to research in Australia and the world. Across many discipline areas, UON researchers are making discoveries that offer solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges.

Fun and useful work experiance

The job was promoting the university, demonstrating a recreation of the Michelson Morley experiment and educating year HSC physics 12 students. I was well paid for my time. Management treated me well and I was treated with professional respect. The only criticism I have is that I struggled with the HRonline system which was necessary for the administration officer for the school of mathematics and physical sciences to authorise my pay. As a result I was paid later then expected.

Pros

comfortable job, great pay, When I could see students better understood Einstein's special relativity.

Cons

HRonline, Inefficient bureaucracy

UON is a large and complex educational institution aiming to be the very best in University in the world.

While it is difficult to make everyone happy the University of Newcastle rates the wellness of their employees highly. Flexibility, wellness and training are part of the ongoing campaign to ensure UON's commitment to attracting great staff and looking after them is fulfilled. UON faces the same challenges of all business today in having to ensure sustainability both economically and environmentally. As a result change is the new norm, and the working environment is fast paced, highly challenging and extremely rewarding.

Pros

Working for an educational institution focused on excellence

Cons

Extremely heavy workload

Student views

As a student at the university I found the staff to be very helpful and engaged. Instruction was challenging yet the instructors were interesting in furthering student knowledge rather than stressing a point of view.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Newcastle. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

University of Newcastle Reviews by Location

• University of Newcastle
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?