University of South Australia Employee Reviews

Volunteer teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA17 February 2019
I was a teaching assistant in the glass program after graduating from it.
I would assist in demonstrations and prepare for the class. I would run the hot-shop while the lecturer would run the processes in the cold-shop and plaster room.
Great first job
Information Technologist (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA7 January 2019
The people were great and the processes in place were a little frustrating, but well worth the extra effort. I almost regret leaving to pursue my own adventures and passions as it was so comfortable there.
Pros
Good location & transport, good facilities, good people
Cons
Work wasn't fulfilling for me
Rewarding role
Workshop and tutorial administrator (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 November 2017
Rewarding role but poor job security and little scope for advancement. Would happily stay if I could progress beyond a casual role. Even with this drawback, I enjoy the teaching so much that my ideal for next year is a slightly flexible role that would allow me to also continue casual teaching at UniSA.
Fun and supportive enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 October 2017
I made a lot of friends, that I believe will last a lifetime, I got to help numerous people which was great as I felt like I was making a difference.

I wish I wasn't graduating so I could continue volunteering.
Pros
food tokens, rewards ceremonies, t-shirts, jumpers, name tags and pins
Cons
not paid
Relaxed university pool
Pool Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  AU5 September 2017
Great working environment at a rarely used university pool. Great management and benefits from university. f f
Pros
free pool/gym use
Cons
travel from home
UniSA is a great university as it offers students flexibility in studying and offers work opportunities.
Casual Tutor (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA21 March 2017
As a PhD student working at the laboratory with casual Tutor experience, I have spent a good time balancing my work and life. I learned how to manage my schedule, associate with different groups of people and meet new experts in the field.
Nice and fun workplace and staffs
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA25 February 2017
It was a 9am to 5pm weekday works. However, we had flexible lunch time which was good. I gained experiences on the laboratory work skill and friendship while working with my partner. The laboratory assistants are all very nice. They provide us whatever facilities we need for the research and willing to help us with what we aren't sure on the equipment in the laboratory.
Pros
flexible lunch time and nice staffs
Nice working environment
Work as Internship in Finance team (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA22 February 2017
Nice team members to work with and lovely environment. As an intern, I learnt a lot in terms of daily accounting work and also communication with other staff.
Changing, becoming a commercial more than educational entity
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA18 December 2016
Good employment conditions continually being eroded by increasing use of short term contracts and other methods to allow local management to replace rather than develop workforce.
Education increasingly a financial activity, unfortunately UniSA probably not unique in this.
Pros
Good working conditions, Super Annuation contribution.
Cons
Short term contracts, job instability.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA1 September 2016
Open space offices with very newly refurbished buildings and state of the art equipment. Environment is collaborative and the reach of the research extends into many different areas of science.
Fantastic place to work
Clerical Officer, Administration, Events (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 February 2016
Supportive team, always learning something new, love working with the students. The University is a vibrant and interesting place to work. Social events and courses are always offered to employees.
Pros
Interesting job
Cons
I dont have any
A friendly and professional working environment. Ongoing education and advancement highly encouraged.
General Registered Nurse Level 1 Year 4 (Current Employee) –  City East campus, Adelaide11 November 2015
A great place to work. Interaction with the nursing students and being able to influence them early in their training was a probably the most rewarding part of being a tutor.

My co-workers were friendly, but we rarely socialised outside of work. I saw the Head of School in the corridors on most days, but we did not converse. My direct supervisor was very encouraging and friendly.

Depending on what course I was teaching, depended on how many times per week I was required to attend the University. I was there only for the tutorial (3 hours) and any preparation work that I needed to do for the class or the following class.
Pros
Free education seminars
Cons
Lots of marking
productive, service based, great culture
Administrative Assistant (Casual) HEO (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 November 2015
I was engaged as relieving administrative assistant and given work as relieving receptionist when the administrative assistant returned to work. My preferred role is in the administrative assistance and team support areas rather than receptionist. I have the ability to type as someone speaks but did not use this skill in this job.
I learned a lot about how the university is run supporting nursing students. I was able to work with a team of people who were exceptional in sorting out day to day inquiries for national and international students making each student feel that their inquiry was important.
A great place to work as they embrace all ages and all cultures, both male and female.
The work I did ranged from normal receptionist duties to helping type up the 1st draft of an administrative assistant procedures manual. Although working in a more repetitive area of work there were challenges due to my short time there and limited experience with the background of university student courses.
Pros
Kept busy all day. Great rapport with team members.
Cons
My skills are more broader than receptionist, therefore I would have liked to work in an administrative support role.
fun working with the prospects and staff
Student Ambassador (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Mawson Lakes SA2 September 2015
team work, communication skills and leadership. great time management and supportive management. friendly staff and great event management.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Liberté dans le travail et ouverture culturelle
Stage en centre de recherche en mécanique agricole (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA6 March 2015
Ce centre de recherche offre une grande liberté d'action dans le travail et permet de travailler en collaboration avec des gens de tous horizons.
Business Mentor Leadership
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  SA14 January 2015
 A mentor role to assist commencing students transitioning successfully to the university
 Arranged social events for new students and helped international students with Australian culture
Great place to learn and work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Mawson Lakes, SA4 December 2014
I learned the basics of environmental risk assessment and remediation at UniSA.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Job security
Project assistant for 1 year.
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA20 November 2014
I possess a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering (Honours), as well as a strong knowledge of the mechanical industry. For the past one year I worked as a Project Assistant for University of South Australia, running experiments to produce and analyse samples. In this role I have refined my time management and operation skills for experimental facilities.
Pros
Time management, technical skill for experimental device.
Excellent place of work.
Administrative Officer - HE-O4 (Former Employee) –  SA20 October 2014
Areas of Responsibility: Reception, Executive Assistant, Administrative Officer.
Core Responsibilities:
• First point of contact at reception, maintaining helpful, and clear communications. Ensuring accuracy of information and high levels of confidentiality.
• Manage the Director and Associate Director and the Technical Manager’s diaries and negotiate appointments and timelines to maximise time. This involved constant liaison with university and government/agency staff.
• Provide executive support to committee meetings including: a. preparation of agendas
o collation of papers and background information
o recording of minutes
o following up outstanding action items and requests for information.
• Maintain security protocols for staff and visitors, ensuring that security checks are completed and security passes are issued.
• Develop and implement administration functions and systems required for the effective operation of the unit.
• Prepare Accounts Payable and Invoices for processing, and reconcile Credit Card and other financial transactions.
• Effectively manage all incoming and outgoing correspondence including drafting and preparing responses, undertaking necessary follow up actions and communicating important issues to Unit staff.
• Publication searchs and Endnote reference filing.
• Manage domestic and international travel arrangements for the staff and external visitors as required.
• Implement and maintain confidential filing and information management systems.
• Maintain the website and ensure all unit brochures and information sheets
  more... are accurate.  less
Pros
Supportive enviroment
Provide Fun and a learning work place environment
assist career services (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA8 January 2014
Good education system
Teaching environment and learning technology is easily accessible
Pros
God Lectures and professors
Cons
Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Australia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3