University of Southern Queensland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Southern Queensland Employee Reviews

Australia30 reviews
Working at USQ was an amazing opportunity. Wonderful people and great working environment. I was on a contract and would love to return one day. I found the job offered great work life balance.
Did some work for a team here and it was dreadful. It became a standing joke - "What have they given us to do today and what haven they told us about it?" There would always be something you hadn't been told and you'd be in trouble for getting it wrong. The usual was that you would be told the immediate task but not the whole job. E.g.: 'while doing this, make sure you turn the air conditioner on' but not to leave it on when you left. Nor that the task had to be completed in one go, not taking breaks. As you were given no protocol to follow, you had no idea what was meant to happen, then you're given incomplete instructions. Thats a good way to get things wrong, and we did!
As for the supervision, I was once yelled at for not knowing who had set something up wrongly, when I was working out of sight and was lowest on the food chain with no right to supervise anyone. This was repeated, so I asked for our team leader to be called in. They did nothing, didn't sort the matter out and left me to the yeller's mercy. Then I was in trouble for not meeting the day's work target.

Another matter was these targets - they were set at the rate the most experienced worker could accomplish on their best day, so totally unrealistic for newbies. Again, you weren't popular if you didn't reach them. Would not recommend this place to anyone. The USQ motto is jokingly held to be "As little as possible".
Pros
A few great friendly helpful staff, most problems in management
Cons
Very poor science. A team leader with no interest and no leadership ability.
Focus on quantity over quality and poor management. Lack of professionalism and no accountability for poor performance or lack of professionalism. Very poor attitude and culture of covering up poor behaviour.
Online Study that they have made engaging and enjoyable. It had great facilities and the staff were friendly and helpful. The subjects were relevant to my qualification
It is a very good place for learning. Good facilities and services. Teaching department is also very good and helps students in every phase of their learning.
Good working environment, and management. most enjoyable part is helpful staffs around the university. there is so many options of teaching and learning as well.
If you need a job, need it to pay well, WORK AT A UNIVERSITY.
I cannot stress enough that getting paid $36/h on a casual basis is really good.

Casual Applications go to a pool, I was lucky to have gotten a job.
Pros
People were polite, Was well payed.
Cons
Workplace Politics, Casual Application Pool
The management is nonexistent and internal conflicts are poorly mediated, but the student experience makes it well worth all of the issues between professional and academic staff.
All courses delivered using a variety of distance education methods - DVDs, computer websites, e-mail, printed materials, teleconferencing, SKYPE tutorials.
Pros
Excellent physical environment
Cons
Long hours to keep in touch with students in different time zones
working is overall good, learned stuff that is essential for a molecular biology student. New experience, with great work place culture. I learned exciting stuff.
Overworked and under appreciated by senior staff members for the work that is done. They expect more and more from you the better you perform for no financial gain or appreciation.
As I was only a student at the University, I have no real understanding of the job culture at the university, however the lecturers always seemed to be happy to be there.
The library was in the throes of a restructure that created a stressful place of employment. Management endeavoured to keep coomunication lines opened but it was not a pleasant situation.
Pros
Location excellent
Cons
rumour mill often not correct made it uncomfortable
Generally USQ is a good, stable place to work. However if you're there for longer than a few years it becomes a toxic environment. At both Toowoomba & Springfield, staff don't have many other options for work in the area & begin to feel 'stuck' at USQ....meaning that it becomes a workplace of negativity, ungratefulness & backstabbing. If you approach management about the issues, nothing is addressed or changed. Too much beaurocrcacy. Everyone is there for their own personal advancement. They talk about the importance of work-life balance but there was no such thing in the team I worked in.
Pros
Stable workplace
Cons
Toxic, negative, bad work-life balance.
Collaboration and Pedagogy Skills, there is a lot of support for the online students and online forums help with collaborating
Supportive work schedule with supportive coworkers and supervisors. Academically rich in culture with cutting edge online learning techniques.
This job is only a seasonal job, requiring the employees to simply walk around the campus three to five times a day and count how many people are in each room. This data is used to determine what rooms are always in use and what rooms can be used for storage, meetings, different classes, etc.
The original contract is only for space auditing, although I was offered a second contract for data entry following this. This was because I was the only one who asked for more work each day as the counts did not take long.

Because of this attitude, I was offered the same position the following year, and received a written reference from my supervisor.
Pros
Hard work got me more contracts
Cons
Short term contract.
Provider of Tertiary Education to PhD standard with post doctoral research. Full academic rigour was required and delivered.
The other volunteers are very helpful and always positive, it made me feel like I was really doing good for others. the organisers are very friendly and always able to answer questions. the co-volunteers are fellow students and we have made good friendships based upon volunteering at USQ. I enjoyed helping and meeting new people, as it is very rewarding.
Pros
Free Lunch, Meeting new people, gaining life experience
Cons
Many volunteers means less hours
University of Southern Queensland provided me with a great opportunity to further my professional skills and experience.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Late hours
I have given all star ratings. Fun work place, supportive management. Strong focus towards research - especially technology in health research.