University of Sydney
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at University of Sydney: 131 University of Sydney Reviews

Australia131 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Work life balance. Supportive staff, flexible and recommended.

I had a teaching contract of two years. Staff were supportive. There was flexibility and good pay. One of the best places I’ve work at. Recommended.

Very high pressure role, unreasonable demands required of your time.

Very high pressure role. Management expects a what ever it takes attitude, even if that means working 24:7, and taking no leave unless it’s Christmas. Constant pressure, demands by the CFO and his team are unsustainable and there is no pay rises except for a mandated annual increase.

Pros

Good superannuation benefits, some additional leave days granted for Christmas, generous long service leave benefits (unlikely to make it to 10 years)

Cons

Long hours, constant pressure, no down time except at Christmas, need to be almost on call 24/7

Loved the uni but..

Always making rolls redundant and so many chops and change.Other great staff, heaps of friendly amazing people. Management treat staff as there disposable.

Pros

Meet great people

Trash place

A toxic workplace full of elitism, avoid at all cost. Obnoxious and didactic people make you feel worthless, unless you are an overachiever they will treat you like a real friend.

Pros

No pros.

Cons

Toxic

Creative and challenging workplace

I found working with academic and business leaders to be intellectually challenging and rewarding at the same time, I built strong and trusted relationships with VC, DVC’s, and executive leadership. I’d definitely enjoy working at Sydney University again if the right role presented.

Pros

Great executives, complexity and undergoing massive change

Cons

Areas remain stuck looking over their shoulders rather than forward and embracing change

Stimulating, cooperative, caring, collaborative environment.

If you are willing to work hard and be willing to collaborate with your colleges, things will all fall into place. The University of Sydney gave me a laboratory of my own, they were always willing to cooperate with infrastructural modifications to accommodate my own independent research work even though I was just a visiting scholar.

Pros

Many

Cons

Few

Basically good

No performance review. Don't know how our comments were responded to. Previous examiners resented having to reapply and be retested. Basically enjoyed my time there.

Friendly Work place

Very busy work place . I have to work with management of the university.I learnt many new things such as emergency responds, Assist students for their any needs. Hardest part of the job is responds to emergency situations such as fire, injuries and conflicts of students in the campus.

Supportive and easy-going enviroment

I worked at the Usyd in the Marketing Communications team as a graphic designer between September 2019 and March 2020. There my main work was in printed design, designing brochures and magazines. The Marcoms team is very supportive and high skilled. The Usyd environment is really relaxing and inspiring.

Collaborative and fun place to work

Great place to work. The University always looks at new technologies to support student and teacher collaboration and state of art research facilities.

I gained more formal experience regarding the supervisor

I learned how to prepare the class roo fr the exam condition. I learnt the new technology based methods to conduct exams. I got better at team building and gained more experience in dealing with people coming from various backgrounds. My management skills improved as I was dealing with students and colleagues and supervisors in given period of time.

Pros

Shift work and enjoyable as get to meet different people

Cons

Distance between buildings and carparking

Great environment, supportive team and easy going culture

Great company to work for with a good team who are always happy to help. Working on lots of different roles the position is varied with lots to do on a daily basis.

Toxic workplace culture

Very interesting work fields, good salary and super payments are offset by a toxic workplace culture, incompetent managers and lack of vision on management level. Every 5 years or so major restructuring takes place and many lose their jobs: ongoing, continuous means nothing. Job descriptions are inaccurate for the actual work you’re doing. Independent thinking, creativity and initiative are discouraged in favour of excessive micromanaging resulting in above average staff turnover. Despite specific policies flexible work arrangements are discouraged or prohibited. Saying this, University of Sydney is a big organisation and it depends on where you work, but a disillusioned and incompetent management among general staff seem to be frequent University wide. The Library is one of the worst.

Pros

Good salary and high super

Cons

Excessive micromanagement, incompetent management, lack of vision

Cet

Very competitive, not very transparent, not very work friendly to mothers returning from maternity leave. The customer (international students) is always right.. Not a lot of teacher aut oknomy

Pros

Hourly salary for face to face hours

Cons

Marking assessment planning admin

Nowhere better than working while studying at the same place

The University of Sydney is where I both studied and worked, it has a very good salary for me to pay off my daily cost of living and even the tuition fees.

Working in Education is very rewarding.

The work itself is very rewarding because you are working to create employment pathways into the university and a safe, equitable environment to work. I was asked to write three newsletters with the same content for three different audiences, staff, students and the general public. Writing is my forte and I learned a lot of different writing techniques. This is included writing reports, briefs, frameworks, strategic plans and proposals. Management depends on the individual, I reports to several different managers and they were all really good except for the last one who was a bully. The hardest part of the job was to implement the recommendations the process can take quite some time. The most enjoyable part was collaborating with staff from different PSU's and Faculties on Projects.

Good place to work in permanent/continuing roles

Focus on Research work, and academic staff. Casual staff not considered in benefits, strategy, staff well-being. Career Support available only for Senior management level staff or Academics.

Excellent Place to work

Best place I have worked at. Managers are very polite and helpful and care about employees. Perfect work/life balance and support for employees with young familes

the most enjoyable part of the job

2019, I worked on a major project on state hegemony and ethnicity for the Palgrave Handbook of Ethnicity, which received many constructive reviews from scholars of Fiji and Pacific Island Studies in the Asia Pacific region. I also contributed to postgraduate teaching and supervision in the Department, including lectures on ethnic violence for PACS6909 Cultures of Violence in first semester 2019, and on social movements in PACS6911 Key issues in Peace and Conflict Studies in second semester 2019.

Loved it

A real good place to work, the culture is amazing and as a casual employee felt very valued. The pay was extremely well and it was a rewarding role as helping young students complete courses for their careers in the future.

Great University

The University of Sydney is a major international research and teaching University with an outstanding reputation and is regularly ranked in the top one hundred Universities in the world.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Sydney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2