University of Sydney
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Sydney Employee Reviews

Australia125 reviews
No performance review. Don't know how our comments were responded to. Previous examiners resented having to reapply and be retested. Basically enjoyed my time there.
Very busy work place . I have to work with management of the university.I learnt many new things such as emergency responds, Assist students for their any needs. Hardest part of the job is responds to emergency situations such as fire, injuries and conflicts of students in the campus.
Cons
I worked at the Usyd in the Marketing Communications team as a graphic designer between September 2019 and March 2020. There my main work was in printed design, designing brochures and magazines. The Marcoms team is very supportive and high skilled. The Usyd environment is really relaxing and inspiring.
Great place to work. The University always looks at new technologies to support student and teacher collaboration and state of art research facilities.
I learned how to prepare the class roo fr the exam condition. I learnt the new technology based methods to conduct exams. I got better at team building and gained more experience in dealing with people coming from various backgrounds. My management skills improved as I was dealing with students and colleagues and supervisors in given period of time.
Pros
Shift work and enjoyable as get to meet different people
Cons
Distance between buildings and carparking
Great company to work for with a good team who are always happy to help. Working on lots of different roles the position is varied with lots to do on a daily basis.
Very interesting work fields, good salary and super payments are offset by a toxic workplace culture, incompetent managers and lack of vision on management level. Every 5 years or so major restructuring takes place and many lose their jobs: ongoing, continuous means nothing. Job descriptions are inaccurate for the actual work you’re doing. Independent thinking, creativity and initiative are discouraged in favour of excessive micromanaging resulting in above average staff turnover. Despite specific policies flexible work arrangements are discouraged or prohibited. Saying this, University of Sydney is a big organisation and it depends on where you work, but a disillusioned and incompetent management among general staff seem to be frequent University wide. The Library is one of the worst.
Pros
Good salary and high super
Cons
Excessive micromanagement, incompetent management, lack of vision
Very competitive, not very transparent, not very work friendly to mothers returning from maternity leave. The customer (international students) is always right.. Not a lot of teacher aut oknomy
Pros
Hourly salary for face to face hours
Cons
Marking assessment planning admin
The University of Sydney is where I both studied and worked, it has a very good salary for me to pay off my daily cost of living and even the tuition fees.
The work itself is very rewarding because you are working to create employment pathways into the university and a safe, equitable environment to work. I was asked to write three newsletters with the same content for three different audiences, staff, students and the general public. Writing is my forte and I learned a lot of different writing techniques. This is included writing reports, briefs, frameworks, strategic plans and proposals. Management depends on the individual, I reports to several different managers and they were all really good except for the last one who was a bully. The hardest part of the job was to implement the recommendations the process can take quite some time. The most enjoyable part was collaborating with staff from different PSU's and Faculties on Projects.
Focus on Research work, and academic staff. Casual staff not considered in benefits, strategy, staff well-being. Career Support available only for Senior management level staff or Academics.
Best place I have worked at. Managers are very polite and helpful and care about employees. Perfect work/life balance and support for employees with young familes
2019, I worked on a major project on state hegemony and ethnicity for the Palgrave Handbook of Ethnicity, which received many constructive reviews from scholars of Fiji and Pacific Island Studies in the Asia Pacific region. I also contributed to postgraduate teaching and supervision in the Department, including lectures on ethnic violence for PACS6909 Cultures of Violence in first semester 2019, and on social movements in PACS6911 Key issues in Peace and Conflict Studies in second semester 2019.
A real good place to work, the culture is amazing and as a casual employee felt very valued. The pay was extremely well and it was a rewarding role as helping young students complete courses for their careers in the future.
The University of Sydney is a major international research and teaching University with an outstanding reputation and is regularly ranked in the top one hundred Universities in the world.
Poor work culture Lack of career progression Did not comply with legislative working conditions Culture of bullying amongst staff and gossiping Would not recommend
I loved the culture at USU. Management always makes you feel valued and they understand the importance of a work/life balance. This is a team that lifts you up and makes you want to work hard. The only downside is the drop in hours outside of uni semester, but they always do their best to accommodate you.
I am a research assistant with Ironbark research at the gorge at the St George Institute of Sydney Uni I absolutely love my job enjoy travelling a meeting new team members and clients .The freedom of work life and balance ,working Professionals new experiences , opportunity to gain new skills and further your career
Small team with high employee turnover. While IT services and work culture is alright, the lack of good corporate vision ends up hurting the services. Often would rather hire external contractors, but not provide opportunities for current employees to step up into projects.
Developed interpersonal and leadership skills. Support was sometimes lacking, thankfully safety was always the highest priority. Students are almost always attentive and respect the demonstrators.
Professional workplace atmosphere where I could teach with ease. An inclusive culture and secure employment. Provides graduate and post-doctoral students with university jobs to ensure work/life balance.