University of Sydney
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Sydney Pay & Benefits reviews

Australia134 reviews

Clear
4.1Work–Life Balance
4.0Pay & Benefits

Nowhere better than working while studying at the same place

The University of Sydney is where I both studied and worked, it has a very good salary for me to pay off my daily cost of living and even the tuition fees.

Difficult and stressful

University of Sydney has a terrible culture. As a employee, I worked 15-20 hours beyond my paid work hours. Excessive pressure and stress year round. I cannot recommend Sydney Uni as an emoyer.

Very high pressure role, unreasonable demands required of your time.

Very high pressure role. Management expects a what ever it takes attitude, even if that means working 24:7, and taking no leave unless it’s Christmas. Constant pressure, demands by the CFO and his team are unsustainable and there is no pay rises except for a mandated annual increase.

Pros

Good superannuation benefits, some additional leave days granted for Christmas, generous long service leave benefits (unlikely to make it to 10 years)

Cons

Long hours, constant pressure, no down time except at Christmas, need to be almost on call 24/7

Toxic workplace culture

Very interesting work fields, good salary and super payments are offset by a toxic workplace culture, incompetent managers and lack of vision on management level. Every 5 years or so major restructuring takes place and many lose their jobs: ongoing, continuous means nothing. Job descriptions are inaccurate for the actual work you’re doing. Independent thinking, creativity and initiative are discouraged in favour of excessive micromanaging resulting in above average staff turnover. Despite specific policies flexible work arrangements are discouraged or prohibited. Saying this, University of Sydney is a big organisation and it depends on where you work, but a disillusioned and incompetent management among general staff seem to be frequent University wide. The Library is one of the worst.

Pros

Good salary and high super

Cons

Excessive micromanagement, incompetent management, lack of vision

Cet

Very competitive, not very transparent, not very work friendly to mothers returning from maternity leave. The customer (international students) is always right.. Not a lot of teacher aut oknomy

Pros

Hourly salary for face to face hours

Cons

Marking assessment planning admin

Good place to work in permanent/continuing roles

Focus on Research work, and academic staff. Casual staff not considered in benefits, strategy, staff well-being. Career Support available only for Senior management level staff or Academics.

Very flexible but always switched on

the work enviroment was amazing where i was always on call and worked long hours, hence they provided flexible working hours to compansate for this long hours and weekend work. i was always switched on and challanged by the issues that arose however troubleshooting and fixing them was always rewarding.

Working there was fine

Working there was fine but the hours were inconsistent and that is hard if you are trying to make enough to pay rent while at the same time being a student.

competitive salary however can be a bit of a difficult work environment

great renumeration and benefits however the management can be difficult to work with and sometimes make decisions which negatively impact the work place in terms of productivity.

Not a bad place to work.

Enjoyable workplace insofar as it offers large flexibility in hours. The downside is that the flexibility often manifests as an inability to receive shifts for protracted periods of time

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Long spells without shifts

Usu

Great job with flexible hours and competitive pay (I was honestly surprised). Management is solid but somewhat hands off. That's a pro or con depending on how you lean. All in all, a great experience. It goes without saying that the entire uni is dead quiet on semester breaks, so you could find what was otherwise a reliable job suddenly able to give you many hours depending on what time of the year it is. That is just an unavoidable part of how cafes on campus work.

Pros

$12 meal expense if you work more than 5 hours per shift

Cons

Quiet seasons

Great company to work for

The University of Sydney is a great employer who provide work life balance. Their salary package is very general more attractive compared to other higher education providers in NSW.

Ensuring that all programs operated as required and all key performance indicaters were met

A typical day was ensuring all programs operated on time and that all employees and resources were available for each and every day. I learned that it is difficult to please everybody and to maintain professionalism at all times. The workplace was very personal and it was difficult to seperate the two bot in the workplace level and management level. The most enjoyable part of this work was ssisting disadvantaged overcome barriers which lea to success

Pros

Good income and salary sacrafice options

Cons

personal and professional were hard to seperate on all levels.

complicated workplace

I have worked at Sydney University since 2006. It is a flexible work place which allows me to come and go when I have other projects . I have had many opportunities to upskill.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Great campus, central location, satisfying work

The University of Sydney is a great place to work, my colleagues were fantastic as was my director, very satisfying work and great work-life balance. Working in the University sector also provides great superannuation allowances.

Pros

Work-life balance, salary, superannuation, location

Fun

It's fun, you don't have to wear business attire, you meet lots of interesting people, you have flexible hours and pretty much do your hours. But there is tons of work and you have to work extra hours to be on time with your work schedule.

Estágio sem muita orientação mas grande oportunidade.

Apesar de o orientador do estágio não oferecer muito suporte, pode-se retirar alguns benefícios dessa experiência. Primeiramente, o fato de trabalhar em um laboratório de uma importante universidade possibilita um contato com testes importantes, pessoas muito inteligentes, além de proporcionar um contato com a engenharia na prática. Outro ponto positivo foi a necessidade de eu planejar as ações com relação ao experimento. Essa autonomia me forçou a me dedicar e aprender muito nessa experiência.

Excellent work environment

Supportive management and peer teachers. Good salary. Good facilities and materials. Work casual generally, seasonal mostly with semester entry.

Pros

Efficient administration

Cons

Temporary peak of students only.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Sydney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Sydney