University of Wollongong
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Wollongong Employee Reviews

Australia46 reviews
Good working environment and staffs. Supportive facilities and entire management is good. You can have amazing life. If you get chance, don’t miss it.
- Organized management
- Great leadership

- Awesome salary and wages

- Clean environment

- Lively staff

- A diverse and inclusive workplace culture

- Respecting and professional work culture
Pros
Great atmosphere and workculture
Cons
Casual workers may sometimes feel left behind
Had a great learning experience at my placements at different hospitals. As it was not at the University itself but rather tied to my course, every student may have different experiences.
Fast Paced working environment, great to learn new things as a fresher, start up industry so opportunity to learn and get involved in all basic operations
Pleasure to be there and learn, great opportunities to improve your skills
Challenging working with colleagues at times but management was helpful in resolving issues
Was an enjoyable job that was fairly flexible with university requirements. Manager was easy to get along with and the work was also fairly easy. Deadlines could sometimes be difficult to meet
Great place to relearn MEDI100 content as it was a volunteering class. The facilitators greatly assist you in the process as you teach the students and assist them w/ help.
Fast paced environment that requires focus and ability to deliver strategically and within tight deadlines. Positive benefits of workplace and compensation.
Being a graduate I had been employed twice. But small mistake can destroy someone's life was unknown. I have become emotional and signed off. Had I listen to the NTEU I might not have to signed off! Kind regards
The opportunity was fruitful with lots of opportunities for growth, the role entailed contacting alumni and building rapport and opened further discussions which were really informative and useful.
I possess excellent written English and presentation skills acquired by working in the field for over eight years and based on my extensive journal and conference publications, as shown on the attached resume. In addition, in 2019 I was awarded the Peter Schmidt Memorial Scholarship for the best scholastic and research performance for postgraduate students in civil engineering at UOW. Furthermore, I have kept up to date with all the engineering subject content through my involvement as a tutor at the University of Wollongong for over four subjects.
I enjoy working or UOW. I like the autonomy and the ability to think on my feet and I thoroughly enjoy working with nursing students. I recommend this type of work to any nurse who would like to share their skills and experiences.
I experienced frequent covert bullying from two staff members.
I was told to ask questions then get bombarded with questions following up, which would only intimidate you.

Left out of meetings, meaning the information was retained from me so I could not do my job properly.

My workload was starting to get taken off me once the new girl came into the office.

Over the top management style one way communication

Poor mentor and no real training (unfortunately I was too nice at the time and never had the confidence to really tell the truth of how poor the training was).

Ruined my confidence and I wouldn't in my opinion, work for the Education department unless you enjoy slow procedures, backward thinking and no innovation for new ways of thinking or doing.
They offers good salary, besides the workload is light.
UOW is absolutely great,

Campus is garden-like, Library is big and organised.

Most of the lecturers are great.

Employment opportunities are also optimistic.

Highly recommend place to work.
Uncomplicated, easy role to slot into and undertake well. Classes were attended and afterwards notes would be summarised concisely and sent to the given student, the disability services would be cc'ed in the email. Also allows students to stay on top of their own personal study.
Lots of flexibility in working hours. Very inclusive environment and good links for occupational health. Overall, enjoyed working here. Management are lovely.
In hindsight this has been the worse experience in my working career - a waste of many years.

When you first join, his university will promise you the world ..but then when you deliver the outcomes promised, they deliver you ... nothing in return.

Values such as acknowledgement of hard work and outcomes, fair consideration for promotions, and non-bullying are non-existent here.

My time there gave a lot of experience and insights into what NOT to do.

At UOW, it's all a matter of who you know, and who you suck up to. If you are not into shmoozing and sucking up,then this is NOT for you. Bullying is absolutely rife here.

A meritocracy, this is not.

Run, run away,the sooner the better.
Pros
A nice town
Cons
Everything else
Good work place, good management and flexible hours. Able to be active during work whilst encouraging others to keep active and attempt new skill sets.
Pros
Working with like minded people
Cons
Only seasonal work
By far the worst experience in my 30+ years of work. Wish I had never started there. Completely ruined my year and my life.

This is not just me. A number of colleagues have moved on to other universities and reported back how much better the working conditions and culture are and how management actually makes an effort.
Pros
If you know the people in power, you will get promoted and be immune from criticism
Cons
Toxic workplace. Terrible management.
UOW is a good working environment. People are friendly and helpful. Doing research is usually stressful but flexible with time and management. A very peaceful place.
Pros
Friendly and fresh
My role at the University of Wollongong was mostly about interacting with students and other staff members over the phone and in person. This job helped me increase my ability to deal with people from different cultural backgrounds. The work culture is fair with a lot of team work, employee engagement, responsibility and learning opportunities.