VicRoads
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

VicRoads Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Lot off politics

lot off mistake from management they put it back on to the worker's ... high on safety, management don't act on it ...pays a bit low ...just a number you are

Pros

super good

Cons

lots off politics

Management should be ashamed!

If you enjoy providing good customer service, want the satisfaction of knowing you have actually helped customers appropriately (even though the customer may not always like the outcome), care about attention to detail or want to work in a happy & healthy workplace - run away! If you want to be treated decently and respected for your assets/abilities rather than your bottom-kissing, the VicRoads Call Centre is not the place for you.If instead you are just fine with inadequate training and support, being seriously micromanaged and you just don't care whether the customer is given the correct answer or stuffed around, then apply now! Also, it is a definite bonus if you enjoy kissing up to people to climb the ladder or have decent opportunities within the centre!* The training and support is laughable.* Some staff on the support line (ie who you ring for help with a call) are not knowlegeable and not trusted among the staff, but management does not care.* Some staff have consistently made the same mistakes over and over for years without obvious repurcussions, while others are left to clean up their mess without recognition. * Some (not all) team leaders are bullies, and management know this but do nothing!* The computer programs are literally decades old (last overhaul was early 2000's). Their only new system (myVicRoads) is regularly out of service or experiencing major glitches!* Far too often you find out about business-rule changes from customers because higher-ups have made announcements to the media before their staff!* Most other areas are understaffed so many -

Pros

Oddly - helping callers, despite the barriers

Cons

Micromanaged on a major scale; simply bad/unacceptable management

Worst job I have ever had

Where do I start? This is a long review but I suggest you read it if you're genuinely considering applying for a job here. I would only recommend this job if you are desperate and only stay for as long as you need. As far as I'm aware if you're lucky enough to work elsewhere in VicRoads it is a much nicer experience, but the call centre is not. It is impossible to get out of unless you're a favourite. I have never had to call the IT Helpdesk at any workplace anywhere near as often as at VicRoads. This is due to having to use many different systems that are poorly integrated and are constantly experiencing issues. The Helpdesk also takes at least 5 minutes, sometimes up to 10 minutes to get through to for most of the day. You are expected to take calls with shortest possible handle time, with a very short amount of time between them, as little as 4 seconds. You're expected to adhere to your rostered breaks and don't dare go more than 5 seconds over your break time. It's akin to being a battery hen as due to this setup you don't really get a chance to interact with your colleagues. Interactions with customers can be quite challenging at times as you'll be mostly telling people you can't do what they are asking of you which results in many confrontations. This is if the customer already isn't firing on all cylinders when you answer the call. This really takes it out of you and has a detrimental effect on your mental and physical health. Management are mostly awful to deal with, belligerent, and they will pick their favourites to advance and pretend that anybody -

Pros

Really puts your resilience to the test

Cons

Literally everything

Amazing people to work with

Amazing work culture. Fantastic management and opportunities to learn and advance. Training was excellent and on site assistance while training was awesome. Face to face customer service was my favorite part of this position. Being apart of such integral body in our community. Road safety, assessing and educating drivers. Road laws and compliance was a rewarding part of the position too.

Searches officer

Great work environment and very friendly staff. The work was challenging and the on-site teaching was excellent. More direction during training would be preferred and updated training materials are a must but other than that the work culture was great and felt like home away from home.

Never work there

Poor management, bad culture, bullying and harassment are endorsed by management Would not recommend a friend or family member to work here........ .

Pleasant workplace with good teamwork.

Customer service was mostly enjoyable, interacting with people from all walks of life throughout Victoria, but there were times of excess calls, irate customers, that led to some stress.

Excellent

It is an honour to be part of the team. The work environment is friendly and warm. It is easy to balance work and life while working at VicRoads. All the processes are streamlined by management which increases efficiency.

Slow moving beast

During my time at VicRoads I met some wonderful people, but there was a significant lack of direction in regards to what the organisation was planning on doing in the future. This became more evident once the separation of the business into two parts (Major Projects & Regional Roads).

Pros

Flexibility, People

Cons

Bureaucracy

It was a very interesting community project to be involved in.

It was a very interesting community project to be involved in, as it was dealing with some new road infrastructure innovation, which was required to be implemented in a short period of time.

Well organised and brilliant management to work under

In my contracted time at Vic Roads, I made many friends for life there. The work environment was friendly and everyone was extremely helpful to work as a team and pass on their knowledge.

Typical Government Organisation

You won`t learn much. It`s all about who you know than what you know. Work life balance is good and you will end up becoming a crocodile and just stay there forever.

Amazing jog culture

I would have to say the best company and people have ever worked for. Supportive, encouraging, friendly. What more could one ask for, but to work with such a fabulous team.

Good company

Good company not always great at job permanency . Good culture cafe and work life balance. Lots of opportunities for growth and advancement. Staff and leadership are encouraging and forward thinking

Great please to work

Great place to work friendly staff lots of on the job training great to be able to works between different offices to see all the different transactions you wouldn’t always see in the one store

Stable Employment

Current Management excellent. Workplace culture - stable, friendly, although opportunities for employment rarely available. Worst part: Being on a Contract Most enjoyable part: Being given the opportunity to utilise my skills and learn new skills.

Its a good place to work

A company that takes care of its employees. The care-share-dare attitude is well embedded in the staff. Very open and understanding people who are easy to work with.

Amazing Opportunity

Being involved within the Admin team at VicRoads (Traralgon) has furthered my skills dramatically, it has also given me the confidence to move forward with my career.

Stressful atmosphere and met interesting characters every day

Thrown into the deep end my first day but luckily I learn fast. Some customers could get quite aggressive, and therd really isn’t a barrier between us. Did learn some interesting things so would definitely do it again.

Pros

Always work to be done so I was kept busy

Cons

Extremely low pay, and some coworkers were a little sexist

Procurement Manager - Facility Services

VicRoads, my time within VicRoads was centred around managing the contracts across 5 of the major sites. Creating and managing the Tendering Process for soft Services, Catering, Cleaning, Security, Gardening. Day to day management of contractors Overseeing Facility Issues for any of the soft services

very good people to work

Enjoyed my time at Vic Roads. People there were very friendly and approachable, but the facilities management were very rude andnot very polite at all

Pros

great hours, close to home

Cons

rude people and low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VicRoads. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• VicRoads