Victoria Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Victoria Police Employee Reviews

Excellent engagement tendencies to compare though with sworn roles and unsworn though could be doing same function. Police doing secondments not familiar in dealing with unsworn staff employees tend to relate everything to working from a station.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Us and them culture Sworn versus Unsworn
the good things:Work / Life balance, job flexibility (in some areas), solid VPS Enterprise Agreement, meaningful purpose to assist in community safety.the challenges:Culture:Stagnant workforce, overall culture is resistant to change of any type, Inexperienced and incompetent staff are promoted into managerial positions based on their tenure and formed friendships in the organisation, lack of internal mobility and opportunities (for corporate / VPS staff). Innovation:Holistically, the company is slow to adapt to modern workplace practices including technology and Innovation. Most areas rely heavily on out of date paper-based processes and duplication of work. CollaborationLack of collaboration with other business units due to a 'silo' mentality.
Pros
work / life balance and flexibility
Cons
Poor culture, stagnant workforce, and lack of modern workplace practices
Spend most of your day being a mental health clinician or marriage counsellor. Extremely poor management. Promotional system needs an overhaul and culture is toxic
Pros
Job security
Cons
No support
The team was very friendly, approachable and easy to work with. The other departments were also very helpful. I enjoyed my time with Victoria Police.
High-level job but low-level pay. Nothing good to say about this place. Perhaps the organisation as a whole is better, but where I worked was horrendous.
Pros
High-level job, good for the resume
Cons
Everything else
I am not surprised people quit after few years. Being a Police officer is safe but quiet stressful in terms of shifts, working on Public Holidays, seeing family... It is great for young people without children and commitments. It gets harder for people past 30yo with wife/husband and children. Accademy was not supportive with leave even if they knew prior recruitment. Try it... If you do not like, you can qui. It is a job like another ... You need to have a lot of passion and prepared to face the reality once in.
Victoria police psychologically tortures there officers. Treats dedicated officers awful. Then they kick you out when you get PTSD caused by the job. Don’t work there. It will damage you.
The uniformed teams that I worked with wrere fantastic. They have a hard job to do but I couldn't fault the dedication tothe role and the desire to do their jobs.
I enjoyed almost every day of my career. Every day was different and never boring. You work with great people and continually receive training to increase your skills.
A good place to work in. Very collaborative and supportive team. Understanding team mates and management. Supportive and respect work life balance. Cool place to work.
Administration and clerical mainly doing property and clerical work. Computer inputs and learning all about the workings of the police station and the force in general
The first 8 years of working for Vic Pol was amazing. When I started suffering from mental health issues, I was treated very poorly and ostracised. The last 8 years saw massive changes in the job, in particularly with the push to promote women who weren't suited for roles just to meet targets of 50/50 ratios. Everybody became offended by everything and people will stab you in the back for promotion. The public hate you, and you get little to no support from Managers. Members are dropping like flies with P.T.S.D and nobody cares. You are treated like nothing more than a 5 digit number and can be replaced at the drop of a hat. If my kids wanted to apply for the job, I'd slap them. Don't do it.
Challenging and on every level of development. Many habits are being altered on a daily basis and there is always something you can learn. Level of change has been great and is still continuing through the time I've been here. Many good intentions and great work being achieved. Very big project to undertake and one that will be ongoing for sometime.
Pros
potential for ongoing challenges to learn from
Cons
not all incentives can be released.
Sure the pay is adequate but at a cost. The cost is to you and your family as The Police Force OWNS you and is a very demanding beast. You are also austricised from the general community which can effect your children as well.
I'm back in vicpol, left vicpol after 16 years, was in the AFP for 15 years, now back in vicpol, love it, glad to be back in a real police force, back working with some great old chums who are still there.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Shift work, but that can be good
After 30 years service I h asv e seen the police force Change from being the most wonderful 5 star career to something hth a t is a disgrace. The members are hamstrung by an horrendous management and destroyed by idiotic legislature and judicial system
Pros
Mates
Cons
Management, legislature and judiciary
+ No two days are ever the same lots of challenges and growth. You can also have a lot of fun and unique experiences. - Shift work, early starts, long nights +Get to met and work with some really amazing people, most of them. - Get to work with and meet some A - holes (both colleagues and members of the public) +A large variety of jobs are available in the organisation - Nepotism, poor promotional and transfer systems -Disaffected management culture. - Lack of focus on frontline policing with too much focus on specialist groups. Needs independent review and oversight to better utilise resources and finances.
This was a very short-term role with basic reception duties and filing when required. There was no real long term vision in this role and the manager was located off site which left me feeling unsupported.
Friendly atmosphere, understanding support network, duties were expressed clearly. Management was very professional and accommodating. Thoroughly enjoyed working here, even if it was not for long.
A fantastic job, rewarding at times, but sadly it's totally let down by a poor organisation, run by people who are not open to new ideas, and everything governed by cost, to the detriment of staff wanting to better their careers and welfare. The country areas are definitely Melbourne's poor cousins. A very Melbourne-centric organisation. Really too bad.
Pros
Great and reliable mates, you'll laugh a lot
Cons
Affairs, tiring hours, lack of days off in school holidays, terrible management.
Visited for a week with school work experience programme. Was quite enjoyable, however as I am a student there was not much that I could do so I spent majority of the time sitting and observing.
  1. Employee Reviews