Victoria Police

Victoria Police Employee Reviews

Australia60 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Decent and rewarding

Good place to work and rewarding if you put in the extra effort. Decent pay for the work. However, there are moments of high pressure where you have to be be at your peak to perform. There is little room for error.

Cons

Difficult to advance

Inconsistent management and poor processes

The work can be really rewarding, but I found that it’s an uphill battle to implement meaningful change which can be a bit disheartening. The organisation’s hr and corporate support are also very old school and there are regular recruitment freezes.There is a good approach to team work and collaboration but it’s typically in silos which makes high impact work difficult. I also found staff are often treated as replaceable and flexible work is only supported on the basis of childcare needs. Hopefully this changes over time.

Decent place to work

Good people who care about what they do. Access to a Challenging variety of work but long career stints are generally required to move ahead and across

Loved my time at VicPol

Work was a family for me. One office I worked at was not so great but my last decade was excellent. My managers were very supportive when my daughter was diagnosed with cancer and enabled me to be more flexible with my work/life balance. Without my work family I don’t know how I would’ve survived that period of my life

Absolutely love the job! Such a unique wonderful environment!

I worked at Victoria Police before and came back 7 years later! I loved it that much and am very happy to be part of a special family! Very nice people to work with in a relaxed environment

Pros

Good pay great culture unique environment good people

Cons

Very slow to get any changes done

Toxic job for your own good be prepared to get shafted

I've worked for Victoria Police for several years. I think the job itself could be good but I think the organisation is a mess. Clunky outdated processes that take up for too much time and are repeated for little reason. Ancient technology and programs. Be prepared for a mound of paperwork and not be given the time to do it. Never have enough resources and work harder for no benefit. Worst part is when you start out you are likely to be forced to work far from home and be stuck with no work life balance for several years until you can escape uniform Policing. Getting a Diploma as part of work is neat and you meet some good people. The leave is pretty good and once you've suffered for several years the money gets alright. But I think the bad outweighs the good but like a lot of people in the job you feel stuck and can't get out.

Pros

Discounts, diploma of Policing

Cons

Soulless management, shift work, long commutes, bad culture

It’s not a bad job. Just glad to be out

Work- place culture is shocking. Managers are untrained. They still have jobs for mates. Their HR skills are shocking. They are untrained managers who are sitting on promotion interviews. Some of the HR staff were also way out of their depth.

Pros

Managers have no proper training

Cons

Shift work

Outdated workplace practices and toxic dictatorial culture.

Working for this organisation at a middle management level I got to see both ends of the spectrum. To obtain advancement in this career you must be a “yes” person and not challenge any idea or suggestion by senior management. They talk about flexibility, culture and welfare, however it stops there. Many managers are more interested in feathering their nests than the welfare or development of their people.The technology used is antiquated and paper based at best, where fax machines are still part of daily life. If you challenge the system or decision even when it’s wrong or immoral expect to be ostracised and seen as a whiner, all because you just don’t say yes and just agree. It’s a job that attracts ego and unfortunately it’s the egos and minorities that get promotion rather than on merit. I know many employees only stay in the job simply because of the good leave and super entitlements. To be that’s not enough. You need to be happy at work.

Pros

Superannuation and leave entitlements

Cons

Lack of flexibility, bullying culture, non adherence to the Fair work act, limited opportunities, shift work often destroys a good work life balance.

Terrible organisation that treats its people incredibly poorly

Don’t ever join. This is an organisation full of individuals who destroy the lives and careers of their own staff. Staff are treated like a number and there is absolutely no care for the welfare by senior management.

Pros

Leave entitlements

Ever evolving and growing

Excellent engagement tendencies to compare though with sworn roles and unsworn though could be doing same function. Police doing secondments not familiar in dealing with unsworn staff employees tend to relate everything to working from a station.

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Us and them culture Sworn versus Unsworn

Reconsider your options

the good things:Work / Life balance, job flexibility (in some areas), solid VPS Enterprise Agreement, meaningful purpose to assist in community safety.the challenges:Culture:Stagnant workforce, overall culture is resistant to change of any type, Inexperienced and incompetent staff are promoted into managerial positions based on their tenure and formed friendships in the organisation, lack of internal mobility and opportunities (for corporate / VPS staff). Innovation:Holistically, the company is slow to adapt to modern workplace practices including technology and Innovation. Most areas rely heavily on out of date paper-based processes and duplication of work. CollaborationLack of collaboration with other business units due to a 'silo' mentality.

Pros

work / life balance and flexibility

Cons

Poor culture, stagnant workforce, and lack of modern workplace practices

Could be a great job but sadly it isn't.

Spend most of your day being a mental health clinician or marriage counsellor. Extremely poor management. Promotional system needs an overhaul and culture is toxic

Pros

Job security

Cons

No support

I enjoyed my time with Victoria Police

The team was very friendly, approachable and easy to work with. The other departments were also very helpful. I enjoyed my time with Victoria Police.

Awful - avoid

High-level job but low-level pay. Nothing good to say about this place. Perhaps the organisation as a whole is better, but where I worked was horrendous.

Pros

High-level job, good for the resume

Cons

Everything else

I thought better...

I am not surprised people quit after few years. Being a Police officer is safe but quiet stressful in terms of shifts, working on Public Holidays, seeing family... It is great for young people without children and commitments. It gets harder for people past 30yo with wife/husband and children. Accademy was not supportive with leave even if they knew prior recruitment. Try it... If you do not like, you can qui. It is a job like another ... You need to have a lot of passion and prepared to face the reality once in.

Victoria police treats there staff poorly

Victoria police psychologically tortures there officers. Treats dedicated officers awful. Then they kick you out when you get PTSD caused by the job. Don’t work there. It will damage you.

Fantastic place to work

The uniformed teams that I worked with wrere fantastic. They have a hard job to do but I couldn't fault the dedication tothe role and the desire to do their jobs.

A great career

I enjoyed almost every day of my career. Every day was different and never boring. You work with great people and continually receive training to increase your skills.

fun work place

A good place to work in. Very collaborative and supportive team. Understanding team mates and management. Supportive and respect work life balance. Cool place to work.

Administration and Clerical within the Victoria Police Force

Administration and clerical mainly doing property and clerical work. Computer inputs and learning all about the workings of the police station and the force in general

Don't do it

The first 8 years of working for Vic Pol was amazing. When I started suffering from mental health issues, I was treated very poorly and ostracised. The last 8 years saw massive changes in the job, in particularly with the push to promote women who weren't suited for roles just to meet targets of 50/50 ratios. Everybody became offended by everything and people will stab you in the back for promotion. The public hate you, and you get little to no support from Managers. Members are dropping like flies with P.T.S.D and nobody cares. You are treated like nothing more than a 5 digit number and can be replaced at the drop of a hat. If my kids wanted to apply for the job, I'd slap them. Don't do it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Victoria Police