Victoria University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Victoria University Employee Reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Lacks up to date equipment and facilities

The TAFE end of VU is the poor relation. It is treated as an embarrassment by senior and middle management. Line management is good but hamstrung by policy handed down from the exalted levels above. Teaching staff are mere numbers.

Pros

Good group of teachers led by a competent line manager

Cons

Callous upper management

Horrible place to work

Stress, disorganised & toxic environment. Awful management. Worked to the bone and made to feel bad. I do not recommend working here at all. So glad to leave and find a wonderful place to work after this.

Cons

No work life balance. Emails all weekend and after hours.

Very difficult senior manager made the work very difficult. Played lots of silly games.

Vey difficult senior Manager who played a lot of silly games. Admin staff were great. The work was interesting although the teaching approach does not practice what it promotes. Very directive when it purports to be learner centred.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Managembt

Great teaching premises

V.U is a great teaching premises with great facilities. The general pool of teaching crew are approachable and willing to help other staff. Many staff stay for more than 10 years.

Pros

Good money

Cons

travel and parking costs

I worked in the purchasing area using Finance 1

Within the accounts/purchasing department all employees got on well & although I was involved with purchasing for the Uni, at the end of each month assisted with the data entry of accounts receivable & payable. All within the department assisted each other where needed, & was a great work environment.

Pros

Good work balance

productive and challenging workplace which provided an enjoyable environment

Working at Victoria University was a rewarding experience. My colleagues were enjoyable to work with and always willing to lend a helping hand. I was also encouraged to forge my own path within my duties and I am so grateful for that experience. I learned a lot throughout that process.

unsupportive environment

poor management, no team support from team leaders, poor salary benefits, no job security, poor management, unsettling job culture, worked full time hours but wanted to work part time

under resourced and under funded

Victoria University is under-resourced and underfunded for the ambitions of the goals they are undertaking. Due to this, most departments operate in a DYI fashion with little regard to the overall goal of the university body. An effort to bring in more large corporate experience into this environment is helping to identify issues but senior management have little taste for the decisions required to drive change. There is an opportunity to make an impact with hard work.

Avoid like the plag

Overworked undervalued, half the staff on stress leave the other half quitting. No compliance or support for staff. Unrealistic demands on your time. Avoid like the plague!

Fun place to be

The work place culture was awesome. The staff was from diverse backgrounds and everyone used to be fairly nice to one another. The people from librarians through to managers helped each other and always have been a motivation for me.

Sessional Teaching was good

Sessional teaching at university is like working casual. I was only in once a week and would literally just turn up and teach then leave. You obviously have to have qualifications in the area and thus, the only training is safety/risk management stuff as you are an expert.

Good People

Good People. Very friendly and easy to work with. Great Location. Job was challenging but very rewarding. Wasnt much that i didnt like about working here.

Transformational and innovative company

HE leading institution to transform the sector and student experience. Revolutionary approach to work allocation and support of academic staff in research, T&L and engagement with industry

sessional instructor and temp arranement

deleivering paramedic courses was great till some management couldnt decided which way to go re costs. Other than that they were good to staff and paid well

Pros

wages

Cons

temp

Generally a good place to work.

As a sessional teacher it is a very insecure job. Unfortunate as it has a nice laid back staffroom atmosphere. A lot of marking at levels 5 and 6 with not much training, induction or support. A desk is usually available which is unusual in this industry.

Pros

Good atmosphere

Cons

Alot of unpaid admin

The most important part of the job

I was teaching Electrical engineering courses to undergraduate students. The sessional lecturer is an essential part of my learning and teaching which brings a wealth of experience, knowledge, and expertise to my engineering career.

Pros

Cultural diversity

Cons

Odd working hours

Perfect

VU has been very generous to me. Since I commenced my Law Studies, VU has entrusted me with various roles across different department. My Managers have been very supportive along the way.

work culture in Victoria University- Sydney campus is average

A typical day at work is more academic administration than research and teaching. Learnt to deal with multivariate people and understand better the issues of international students

Pros

nothing worth a mention

Cons

stressful work environment

I was lucky yo have a really good coordinator

Enjoyed the students as they are more motivated than TAFE and VET Private College students. Had a really good coordinator and found the culture quite good overall.

Great place to work previously, professional and good people to work with. Lots of things always happening for staff and students, lots of campuses across Melbourne with many different courses offered.

Pros

Good money

Cons

lots of redundancies

Varied

The people you work with are worth the effort put in, the jobs are varied, but a lot of opportunity and support to grow and build your skills. The workload depends on the dept your employed in.

Pros

Great People

Cons

Hard Work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Victoria University