Victorian Electoral Commission
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Victorian Electoral Commission Employee Reviews

Australia20 reviews
A typical working day would include introduction to the team and any newcomers, setting up anything that needs to be set up, supervising, counting, and taking down.
The experience is cool. Followed the orders the seniors give you and there is lots to do. Get to meet a lot of new people in a similar age bracket. Highly recommend.
Productive, collaborative, fun workplace
Flexible regarding shift times, opportunity to learn in multiple rolls.

Ability to interact with many different people.
educate community members about the election and ways to elect.
explain about the election time and places.

explain the Australian government system, federal and state

responsibility of state and federal
Good place to chat to people but also really good to connect with the public as well. Easy and straightforward work, good breaks as well. (they try and look after you the best they can)
I was only with this organisation for the 2018 General Election in November, where I worked from 7am to 11pm with constant rotating duties.
The hours were long, and there were many busy periods, but there was also lots of peer support and a generous break with food provided.

I developed my sense of communication to people of all ages, how to push through long periods of work, and how to problem solve.

I enjoyed the job and would consider applying again.
Job was electoral official, but I was mismanaged, and paid incorrectly, I will never work for VEC again. They forgot to appoint me, and gave me 3 split shifts then paid me incorrectly
Casual role with determined people who wanted to get the job done diligently and efficiently. Was opportunity for extra hours due to the closeness of the election results
Assisting in reception and the overflow of the
Election Help Desk

Assessing and processing Apparent Failure to Vote Notices, Infringement Notices and Penalty Reminder Notices in the Compulsory Voting Team

General Office Duties

Liaising with Election Managers and staff on various matters

Resolving pay related queries and referring some queries to the payroll department, and monitoring the outcome
While my coworkers were lovely, I found this role stressful due to the intense workload - it felt as though we were understaffed due to the massive number of early voters which was unprecedented.
Showing the districts community how to vote, where to place the votes and assisting first time voters. Working with a hard working team, assisting them when needed, such as showing them what to do with the new system of electronic mark offs or when disruptive partisans cause disturbances, assisting fellow team members to deflate and calm the situation.
Pros
30 minute breaks across the day
Cons
12 hours to 10 hours to 8 hours
Awesome place to work for. Brilliant atmosphere. Loved working with them for the 4 weeks from early voting to vote counting. Busy all day everyday. Large volumes of work from start to finish. Management were amazing.
Arranged the missing files and enter the data, followed up the phone calls, verify and update the data, provide the assistance for the Australian citizen enquires, checking and tracking up the missing payments and balances
Pros
good pay job
Cons
temporary job
I always enjoy my time working for the VEC, you get to meet kind people.
Early starts and late finishes but it is worth it in the end, dont mind the scruinteers
Tasks were straight forward and involved working together as a team. I learned the processes involved with collating votes and adding the ballots together.
Management were very supportive. Great training. Flexible work hours. Facilities at the work place were in great condition and clean. Easy to get to via public transport
I have worked with the Victorian and State Electoral Commission for over 15 years.
Though I am not employed on a full time basis I find working in this environment exiting and for filling,.
Most recently worked with them in a team to count votes for the local council election. Great place to work, very friendly management and got right down to it straightaway.
Pros
Good onsite parking, close cafe and coffee man
Cons
Not much variety in work tasks
Flat chat but time goes quickly, and security and efficiency is paramount. Interesting co workers and well trained superiors.
Loved working here! Lots of pressure, deadlines and great accuracy a must! Very rewarding and satisfying work, all-be-it too short a term. Management led by example and were very caring and appreciative of all staff regardless of their position!

I would highly recommend working for the VEC if you are not afraid of hard work, are a quick learner, and are willing to slot into any role to get the job done! - A very fast and furious, hands on job - just loved it!
Pros
Excellent Management
Cons
Long and Unpredictable hours