Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Australia34 reviews
I am grateful for the experience that I have got from working at the Department but a lot of the management is corrupt especially if your someone who speaks your mind, they will purposely make work harder for you and start to nit pick at little things. And a lot of the time the interview process is not fair especially if they particularly want or don't want someone in a role. If they know that you are capable for the job and they don't like you they will limit you to the possibilities of getting that job like for example not allowing the funding for you to take a course that could help you improve in this area. Now that the Department is going through a restructure they are making people do two jobs but only paying them for one to save money. Its definitely a place where you need to know how to stick up for yourself otherwise you will be trampled over and taken advantage of.
The work was immediately interesting, not only in its intellectual challenges, but in that it had real-life effects on public policy. The staff were also great and management competent and intelligent.
DHHS is a very satisfying place of employment, where there is ongoing training and job security.
I have also made some lifetime friends, which worked very professionally beside me.

I highly recommend working for DHHS.
Australian Home care is the best place to work. But recently the services merge with other agency which creates risk of job security and stressful between the agency.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short hours
Good pay but dealing with difficult staff,disengaged management and unsocial working hours leads to burnout, toxic culture and loss of work/life balance. Expect to put in a lot of work for limited reward, unless you are related to management then it all gets handed to you. Work here at your own risk.
I was hired through a labor hire to look after the customer's "robo debt", the job was not advertised as this and everyone felt extremely misled. The job was difficult and it did feel like we were set up to fail on a regular basis. Most of the workforce left and those who did stay in the job were extremely unhappy. I was so miserable when I would get home that I would crawl into a ball and be brain dead. Do not recommend, do not work here.
DHHS were a good employer to work for. I was always provided with a lot of shifts and most of the employees that I worked with were really nice. The hardest part of the job was trying to secure a part time position.
Pros
Becoming a regular casual at a house that I loved working at
Cons
Very long hours
Loved working here, extremely supportive staff and management. Consistent training and advancement opportunities. Highly recommend. Ethics and values of DHS are followed through consistently. Great work environment.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
Nothing that upset me
high requirement for K Pi's
High level of computer skilled required but in house training was very though

timed for all brakes which is tiresome and working to the secound
Pros
pay
Cons
long term employees
At little learners I learnt a lot from staff and also studied my cert III with them, the staff were great in helping me with my studies and gaining my cert III
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the work is fine depends with whom you are working.
Manager give hard time and workplace culture is not good.

I learned a lot . I enjoyed my work and my client.
Pros
good salary
Cons
workplace culture
Public Service job with minimal job satisfaction.Suit semi-retirement. Quite boring, purely paperwork based work. No promotion opportunities. Poor salary.
Pros
light workload, friendly hours
Cons
boring work
Your work day is scheduled around customer demand/needs with regard to calls being received or forecast. Staff require a high level of resilience due to the nature of some of the calls and issues raised. Negotiation skills and empathy are also developed in staff.

The most difficult part of the work is trying to resolve issues between parents when the children are not their focus.

The best part of the job is providing resolutions and explanations that customers understand, even when not in their favour.
Pros
Good job security
Cons
Challenging customer behaviour
Best placement, I've done. In the beginning, i felt 120 hours was really long and it was going to take forever. OHH how i was wrong. I grew to have connection with the clients. it was always pleasing to come into the home in the morning and feel welcomed by the clients. I enjoyed every bit of the placement. The staff was so great. it was always pleasing to always feel rewarded. The staff always encouraged me to do more as they would compliment me if i have done a good job. It was completely different to what i thought it would be. I really enjoyed my placement there. I would gladly work there.
Good place to work. Friendly and supportive team. Team leaders and management were enthusiastic their jobs. Working within a high pressure role as I had to serve many customers within a short period of time. Role was forever evolving with changes to legislation which directly affected the service offered to clients. Great training before I was expected to work within the role by myself however there was not much time offered after initial training to keep updated within the role as things changed. I learned how to multi-task and serve a wide range of customers needs. I learned how to solve complex tasks and source information for each situation as it arose. I really enjoyed being ale to assist customers and help them find the best possible outcome for them personally.
Pros
lots of social events, great pay and entitlements.
Cons
Very little flexibility, a lot of aggressive customers
Great job working with people with disabilities however as the needs of the residents changed the Department was not able to provide suitable care and carers for the job. I learned to do my job to its best with the knowledge I had and within my scope of practice to provide a safe and caring environment for this more vulnerable with limited support for those above. Hardest part was watching those that i had cared for for a number of years pass but the best part was also seeing those same people smile when you were on shift and laugh so you could tell you were making a difference in their lives and i also worked with some amazing people.
Pros
great staff
Cons
poor management
minimal training and knowledge in call areas - lots of transferring.
learned how to deal with difficult customers.

pay is good above award wages sometimes not worth the mental health side of things.
Highly stressful place to work, Managers have nil empathy with staff, and mangers are hypocrites, the care factor for staff is zero, consultation in regard to changes does not exist.
Managers Breach the APS legislation all the time
Starting the day by assisting with showers and breakfasts administering medications and any treatment as per required
Getting resident to day placements or to appointments

Attend to domestic duties washing cleaning preparing meals

Attending meetings at office in Box Hill

Chair house meetings
Pros
Enjoyable clients who were greatfull doe all you did'
Cons
dealing with staff who didn't give 100 % to residents and who could not lear anything new
I enjoyed my time at DHHS, learnt about new system and it's functionalities. Led the quarterly release cycle for the change requests. Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Enjoyed my time at DHS immensely and loved working with the people I supported and the people I worked with. I advanced from a casual to a house supervisor and given many great opportunities.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.
Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services Reviews by Job Title
Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services Reviews by Location