Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services

Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

No support and oblivious management.
DDSO1Q (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC8 October 2018
Good pay but dealing with difficult staff,disengaged management and unsocial working hours leads to burnout, toxic culture and loss of work/life balance. Expect to put in a lot of work for limited reward, unless you are related to management then it all gets handed to you. Work here at your own risk.
The job was not what was advertised
Compliance and Service Officer (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC6 October 2018
I was hired through a labor hire to look after the customer's "robo debt", the job was not advertised as this and everyone felt extremely misled. The job was difficult and it did feel like we were set up to fail on a regular basis. Most of the workforce left and those who did stay in the job were extremely unhappy. I was so miserable when I would get home that I would crawl into a ball and be brain dead. Do not recommend, do not work here.
I was never longing for work
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC16 September 2018
DHHS were a good employer to work for. I was always provided with a lot of shifts and most of the employees that I worked with were really nice. The hardest part of the job was trying to secure a part time position.
Pros
Becoming a regular casual at a house that I loved working at
Cons
Very long hours
Wonderful Management and staff
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC21 August 2018
Loved working here, extremely supportive staff and management. Consistent training and advancement opportunities. Highly recommend. Ethics and values of DHS are followed through consistently. Great work environment.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
Nothing that upset me
Government department
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brunswick VIC5 August 2018
high requirement for K Pi's
High level of computer skilled required but in house training was very though
timed for all brakes which is tiresome and working to the secound
Pros
pay
Cons
long term employees
learnt alot
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 July 2018
At little learners I learnt a lot from staff and also studied my cert III with them, the staff were great in helping me with my studies and gaining my cert III
Pros
free lunches
Workplace culture affects you
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Preston VIC23 May 2018
the work is fine depends with whom you are working.
Manager give hard time and workplace culture is not good.
I learned a lot . I enjoyed my work and my client.
Pros
good salary
Cons
workplace culture
Public Service job with minimal job satisfaction.
Medical Advisor (MO3) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC21 May 2018
Public Service job with minimal job satisfaction.Suit semi-retirement. Quite boring, purely paperwork based work. No promotion opportunities. Poor salary.
Pros
light workload, friendly hours
Cons
boring work
Dedicated staff doing an essential but difficult job
Customer Service Officer/Technical Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC10 May 2018
Your work day is scheduled around customer demand/needs with regard to calls being received or forecast. Staff require a high level of resilience due to the nature of some of the calls and issues raised. Negotiation skills and empathy are also developed in staff.

The most difficult part of the work is trying to resolve issues between parents when the children are not their focus.

The best part of the job is providing resolutions and explanations that customers understand, even when not in their favour.
Pros
Good job security
Cons
Challenging customer behaviour
Placement
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 February 2018
Best placement, I've done. In the beginning, i felt 120 hours was really long and it was going to take forever. OHH how i was wrong. I grew to have connection with the clients. it was always pleasing to come into the home in the morning and feel welcomed by the clients. I enjoyed every bit of the placement. The staff was so great. it was always pleasing to always feel rewarded. The staff always encouraged me to do more as they would compliment me if i have done a good job. It was completely different to what i thought it would be. I really enjoyed my placement there. I would gladly work there.
High pace high pressure enviroment
CSO - Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC14 January 2018
Good place to work. Friendly and supportive team. Team leaders and management were enthusiastic their jobs. Working within a high pressure role as I had to serve many customers within a short period of time. Role was forever evolving with changes to legislation which directly affected the service offered to clients. Great training before I was expected to work within the role by myself however there was not much time offered after initial training to keep updated within the role as things changed. I learned how to multi-task and serve a wide range of customers needs. I learned how to solve complex tasks and source information for each situation as it arose. I really enjoyed being ale to assist customers and help them find the best possible outcome for them personally.
Pros
lots of social events, great pay and entitlements.
Cons
Very little flexibility, a lot of aggressive customers
Very heavy workload under stressful conditions
DDSO1Q (Former Employee) –  Berwick VIC12 January 2018
Great job working with people with disabilities however as the needs of the residents changed the Department was not able to provide suitable care and carers for the job. I learned to do my job to its best with the knowledge I had and within my scope of practice to provide a safe and caring environment for this more vulnerable with limited support for those above. Hardest part was watching those that i had cared for for a number of years pass but the best part was also seeing those same people smile when you were on shift and laugh so you could tell you were making a difference in their lives and i also worked with some amazing people.
Pros
great staff
Cons
poor management
Good pay
Service Officer (Call Centre) (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC27 November 2017
minimal training and knowledge in call areas - lots of transferring.
learned how to deal with difficult customers.
pay is good above award wages sometimes not worth the mental health side of things.
highly stressful
SO Level (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC16 November 2017
Highly stressful place to work, Managers have nil empathy with staff, and mangers are hypocrites, the care factor for staff is zero, consultation in regard to changes does not exist.
Managers Breach the APS legislation all the time
Productive work with people with a disability
Developmental Disability Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC17 September 2017
Starting the day by assisting with showers and breakfasts administering medications and any treatment as per required
Getting resident to day placements or to appointments
Attend to domestic duties washing cleaning preparing meals
Attending meetings at office in Box Hill
Chair house meetings
Pros
Enjoyable clients who were greatfull doe all you did'
Cons
dealing with staff who didn't give 100 % to residents and who could not lear anything new
helpful colleagues, knowledgeable
Senior Functional Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC30 August 2017
I enjoyed my time at DHHS, learnt about new system and it's functionalities. Led the quarterly release cycle for the change requests. Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
DHS Great place to work
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 August 2017
Enjoyed my time at DHS immensely and loved working with the people I supported and the people I worked with. I advanced from a casual to a house supervisor and given many great opportunities.
Jen
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 July 2017
The day can be great but it does depend on the staff , if you have new untrained staff on it can be a night mare , residents play on it and you are left to teach and train people that should be a team member not an extra burden. I enjoy supporting and teaching our clients and working with competent staff . I would love to have time to teach new staff how to best support our clients
Pros
Empowering
Cons
Mentally draining
The work is hard but satisfying.
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC12 July 2017
I get a lot of satisfaction doing the work that I do. I learn from my clients and from a great team. Needing input and getting things done from management can be the hardest part of the job.

A typical day is organisation, providing care, providing intellectual supports, and physical supports / encouragement / inclusiveness in the community / teaching new skills / listening.

Through education and resilience the workplace culture is changing, albeit slowly, but I am uplifted by the changes throughout in regards to bullying, shifts being offered, how the staff is treated by all throughout, it has improved.

The most enjoyable part of this Job is the clients being happy, using their skills and learning more, their smiles, laughter and interaction with their friends, families and community.
Pros
visiting Melbournes' parks, cinemas, beaches, etc
Cons
lack of benefits, salary sacrifice options.
A great place to work with staff and clients
Disability Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC11 June 2017
Looking after residents with disabilities in Supported Accommodation, helping them live life to the full and supporting them to be independent, great staff to work with and excellent pay and conditions. The work can be challenging depending on the severity of the disability and mood at the time.
Pros
Clients, Fellow Staff and Wages
Cons
Nil