Virgin Australia Airlines Management reviews

Staff travel the only reason to work here.
Pit Crew (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 July 2019
Management are all internally recruited. When you recruit managers from baggage handlers, lunch cart girls and check in people you can imagine how well the company is run.

It is affectionately known as the zoo by staff cos it is a menagerie.

Workers treated quite poorly. 5am starts, 11:15pm finishes. Whatever suits the company with zero regard for the workers personal lives.

Promotion is hard there and is a bit of a boys club but they habe a safety reporting culture. I'm all for safety but some not so bright sparks realised if you report on all your colleagues it s a sure way to be seen my management and promoted quickly. Take a Teflon vest for your back!

Having said all that the staff travel program is amazing and I thank Virgin for allowing me to travel to the places I did.

Pros
Staff travel. Working at the airport
Cons
Poor management, Early starts, Late finishes, Injuries then rushed back to work asap, Rotating roster wreaks havoc on the body clock
Has good/bad times
Baggage Handler (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 May 2019
on a typical day at the airport of course its busy an never can go to plan as you choose its unstable environment as you don't expect your day to go to plan.

I learnt you have to be always on your fit an looking out for yourself.

management isn't the greatest around the workers an looking out or trying support as there pretty rude an don't help when they would be needed most.
Pros
discounted flights
Cons
short/long
An excellent work environment
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New South Wales Sydney9 April 2019
A busy airport with many destinations and passenger types. A fun and interesting job.

Shift rotation roster. 3 early, 3 late, 3 OFF days.

A good balance in duties and responsibilities.

A supportive management system.
Pros
hours, friendships, pay
Cons
fatigue
Poor management with agendas
Airline Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD24 February 2019
Great marketing around the company to attract talent, poor culture and significant amounts of bullying from some Senior Managers who tend to have their own agendas which do no align with the company direction.

Poor work life balance
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
Bullying culture and poorly managed changes
amazing team to work with with endless amounts variety
Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 November 2018
constantly demonstrate a professional level of service with key stakeholders, both internally and externally and my ability to establish strong rapport with guests and other employees has proved beneficial in my career success and progression. I have always had a committed work ethic, I am self-motivated and have the required time management and interpersonal skills needed for this role.
Pros
staff travel, beniffits
Cons
forever changing roster, not great work life balance
Merit based company in respect to promotion and job opportunity
Manager Cabin Crew (Leader Crew Development) (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Airport25 July 2018
An outstanding company to be a part of. Huge opportunity for growth paired with merit.

Outstanding brand with great defined direction and values. Management style is to lead by example and to be transformational and transparent.
Pros
exemplary brand and product
Amazing Culture
Inflight Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 February 2018
Loved the experience.
Great Culture
Great Benefits
Fantastic Work life balance
Great CEO - JB always made time for the crew to come down and ask us what Management could do to better the company.
Pros
Flight discounts and Staff Travel/Work life balance
Cons
Boeing 4 sector days and negative effects on the body eg fatigue and dehydration
Rewarding
CABIN CREW (Former Employee) –  AU29 January 2018
Great workplace culture, rewarding job. Great place to work, good management room to move flexibility.
would recommend to anyone. get to travel a lot .
Fun Young Company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tullamarine VIC19 January 2018
8 hours plus, working day
Awesome customer focus and airline skills
Management are fine if you behave
Good Social life, outside catch ups, parties
Shift Work can get hard
Great Team to work with
Pros
Good Flight Perks
Cons
Shift Work, Low pay compared to other airlines
Interesting and Fun
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 November 2017
A day at work would start with me seeing what position I have for my shift then going to the first assigned departure lounge for an arrival or a departure of an aircraft.
I've learnt about safety and security and what I need to do for on time departures of aircraft and well as learning the systems put in place.
Management are fair and everybody works as part of a team helping one another.
The hardest part of the job is the accountability that sometimes is out of your hands.
The best part is interacting with colleagues as well as meeting and networking with some very interesting people of the public.
Pros
Discounted Air Travel & some travel other travel benefits
Cons
Very early morning starts & sometimes having meal breaks out of the normal times.
Recommended for people who prefer No work-life balance
Project Manager / Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 October 2017
Extended hours of work
Management was accessible on most occasions.
Recommended for people who prefer No work life balance
No personal life.
There is some scope for upgrading the skills.
Great and Friendly workplace
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Welshpool WA19 July 2016
Great place to work. All staff and management were very friendly. Only left due to having children. Would highly reccomend
Always Changing and Challenging Role
Cabin Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 January 2016
A typical day at work can vary when you are on an aeroplane.
Hardest part of the job is doing our usual day with weather disturbances.
Enjoyable part is the crew and day to day activities its an overall fun job.
after 14 years I still learn different things.
I was classed as management in a supervisor role. but worked in the office with Management I have no concerns there.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Disruptions ie stuck in a port from home
Great employer, would love full time work back there
PA/Business Admin Coordinator & Purchasing Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Hangar, Pinkenba & Bowen Hills19 November 2014
Fast paced, no 2 days alike. Need to think on your feet.
Go to girl for 170 staff, as well as looking after the Engineering General Manager.
Proactive worker.
Extensive experience in all aspects of office procedures and processes.
Accurate data entry.
Extremely competent and reliable
Co-ordinating marketing of events, functions & conferences, diary management, travel arrangements and ad hoc duties.
Fun and Interesting place to work
Learning Consultant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Australia31 December 2013
My day to day consisted of all scope and responsibilities as below, it was a very reactive and proactive role which is good for me as I like to be kept on my toes at all times.

Working in Australia whilst they are English speaking is still a very different culture to the UK's ways of working but didn't take me long to adjust

Ensuring I had a high level understanding of the travel industry through extensive training with Virgin Australia
Training and facilitating, transferring what I had learnt to new employees in to the business in preparation for the implementation of their GDS (Global Distribution System)
The continued support to teams ensuring all knowledge was adhered to Virgin Australia’s policies and procedures
Managing the performance of individuals from induction to system operation which included training and competency accreditations
Complex process management
I also worked very closely after implementation working with the Guest Relations team, dealing with complex queries and difficult customers
I finally finished my time with Virgin by designing the Group Sales Package for their side line system ‘Group management’

The hardest part of the job was learning a completely new industry after being in retail banking for so long but it was fantastic to learn.

Management was slightly different in terms of their approach towards certain elements of the role, but I self managed as I was in a consultancy role which was fantastic.
Pros
New Country and Industry
Cons
Long days
Fast paced and busy with travel benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW23 December 2013
There was no such thing as a typical day at work. My shifts were at all different times in all different cities around Australia.
I learned to work with all types of personalities and worked well in high stress environments within strict time frames.
I had little to do with management except for the daily managers on board the flights. I had good report with my base manager and was nominated for a service excellence award Australia-wide.
The hardest part of the job was definitely the time zone changes and variety in shifts. With good preparation, it was easily managed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the crew and passengers which made it a fun working environment.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Alternating shift hours