Virgin Australia Airlines Employee Review

View all Virgin Australia Airlines reviews

Fun and Interesting place to work
Learning Consultant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Australia31 December 2013
My day to day consisted of all scope and responsibilities as below, it was a very reactive and proactive role which is good for me as I like to be kept on my toes at all times.

Working in Australia whilst they are English speaking is still a very different culture to the UK's ways of working but didn't take me long to adjust

Ensuring I had a high level understanding of the travel industry through extensive training with Virgin Australia
Training and facilitating, transferring what I had learnt to new employees in to the business in preparation for the implementation of their GDS (Global Distribution System)
The continued support to teams ensuring all knowledge was adhered to Virgin Australia’s policies and procedures
Managing the performance of individuals from induction to system operation which included training and competency accreditations
Complex process management
I also worked very closely after implementation working with the Guest Relations team, dealing with complex queries and difficult customers
I finally finished my time with Virgin by designing the Group Sales Package for their side line system ‘Group management’

The hardest part of the job was learning a completely new industry after being in retail banking for so long but it was fantastic to learn.

Management was slightly different in terms of their approach towards certain elements of the role, but I self managed as I was in a consultancy role which was fantastic.
Pros
New Country and Industry
Cons
Long days

Other Virgin Australia Airlines Employee Reviews

Staff travel the only reason to work here.
Pit Crew (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 July 2019
Management are all internally recruited. When you recruit managers from baggage handlers, lunch cart girls and check in people you can imagine how well the company is run.

It is affectionately known as the zoo by staff cos it is a menagerie.

Workers treated quite poorly. 5am starts, 11:15pm finishes. Whatever suits the company with zero regard for the workers personal lives.

Promotion is hard there and is a bit of a boys club but they habe a safety reporting culture. I'm all for safety but some not so bright sparks realised if you report on all your colleagues it s a sure way to be seen my management and promoted quickly. Take a Teflon vest for your back!

Having said all that the staff travel program is amazing and I thank Virgin for allowing me to travel to the places I did.

Pros
Staff travel. Working at the airport
Cons
Poor management, Early starts, Late finishes, Injuries then rushed back to work asap, Rotating roster wreaks havoc on the body clock
Loved the work culture and people
BI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 July 2019
A dream since Schooldays to work for Airlines, felt interesting to understand the Airline's operations. Friendly people and loved the work and work culture.