Virgin Australia Airlines Employee Reviews

Fun and Interesting place to work
Learning Consultant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Australia31 December 2013
My day to day consisted of all scope and responsibilities as below, it was a very reactive and proactive role which is good for me as I like to be kept on my toes at all times.

Working in Australia whilst they are English speaking is still a very different culture to the UK's ways of working but didn't take me long to adjust

Ensuring I had a high level understanding of the travel industry through extensive training with Virgin Australia
Training and facilitating, transferring what I had learnt to new employees in to the business in preparation for the implementation of their GDS (Global Distribution System)
The continued support to teams ensuring all knowledge was adhered to Virgin Australia’s policies and procedures
Managing the performance of individuals from induction to system operation which included training and competency accreditations
Complex process management
I also worked very closely after implementation working with the Guest Relations team, dealing with complex queries and difficult customers
I finally finished my time with Virgin by designing the Group Sales Package for their side line system ‘Group management’

The hardest part of the job was learning a completely new industry after being in retail banking for so long but it was fantastic to learn.

Management was slightly different in terms of their approach towards certain elements of the role, but I self managed as I was in a consultancy role which was fantastic.
Pros
New Country and Industry
Cons
Long days
Fast paced and busy with travel benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW23 December 2013
There was no such thing as a typical day at work. My shifts were at all different times in all different cities around Australia.
I learned to work with all types of personalities and worked well in high stress environments within strict time frames.
I had little to do with management except for the daily managers on board the flights. I had good report with my base manager and was nominated for a service excellence award Australia-wide.
The hardest part of the job was definitely the time zone changes and variety in shifts. With good preparation, it was easily managed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the crew and passengers which made it a fun working environment.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Alternating shift hours
Productive and Fast Paced, never the same day twice!
Priority Assistance Migration/VISTA Agent (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD2 June 2013
Taking Guest/Travel Agent (Corporate Client)/Airport/Other contact centre calls, running around to other departments following up on all kinds of booking queries/Upskill training constantly/Coaching.

The use of many GDS product systems, through personal training and experience, and the experience of others around me i.e fellow agents and team leaders.

Hardest part, to keep busy when it's not sometimes, and sometimes discruntaled guest.

I enjoy not knowing who or where that next call is going to come from, and helping them travel to the best of my ability!
Pros
Beyond Exceeding Staff Travel Benifets
Cons
Long weekend hours when it's quite with not many calls.
Great work environment...always a lively vibe amongst co-workers and travellers.
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Airport9 November 2012
A typical day at Virgin is never 'typical'. People constantly on the move, coming and going and each one with a story to tell.
During my time at Virgin, I believe I may have mastered the art of patience.
Probably the hardest part of the job is having to deal with the occasional abusive guest on different circumstances.
What I find most enjoyable is having that team spirit and family environment that is created amongst fellow colleagues. I actually look forward to going into work.
Pros
travel benefits.
Fun but serious work place with a Table Tennis Table
Pit Crew (Current Employee) –  Mascot, Sydney8 June 2012
Once you have been assigned your team for the shift, you have the option to drive and coordinate over radio between the bagroom and the Whisky (Team Leader) to make sure that the aircraft is turned around efficiently and ontime.
I have learned about airport operations and how one delay anywhere can potentially be catestrophic.
The hardest part of the job would have to be the pay!, However the most enjoyable part of the job is the Staff Travel.
Pros
staff travel benifits
Cons
put in alot of hours for little pay