Water Corporation
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Water Corporation Employee Reviews

Australia33 reviews
I personally found job security, unfortunately immediate and upper management were found lacking.Stuck in yesterday and many were afraid
of change. We have always done it this way attitude.
Absolutely disturbing and disgusting place to work, you can not trust anybody I would never recommend anybody to work in the corporation environment, filthy rotten people
Cons
was i enjoyable working on site replacing fire hydrants was subcontracting at water corp replaceing 3/4 hydrants a day with 3 guys . turning off valves 1 to 11 valve shut offs to working after hours in places water couldn’t be turned off during normal business hours .
Worked there for a long time, but I don't have a Govt employee attitude. I took every opportunity to learn and it got me into much better paying positions as a contractor.

I hate the way they treat long term employees. It is awful. People who have worked there 30 plus years get made redundant and walked out the door.

I benefited greatly by working there, but the attitude to employees is sickening. Imagine working there for 30 plus years and being escorted out as if you are a criminal. Didn't happen to me but I know of several cases where it did.
Competitive, unrealistic KPIs, management bullying, stressful and unfair expectations. The customer calls and the training were all good. It was once we got on the floor, taking live calls, that they were very strict on the structure and progression of the call with no leeway at all for the customer type you were talking too - it was definitely not how a good call Centre should do business
The work was good and digging was the hardest job there, the work consisted of compacting the ground and cutting pipes and assisting my boss it was a enjoyable job with it being me and the boss only 80 percent of the time
Not family friendly.

The culture at Balcatta was toxic, and staff were encouraged to spy on other staff.

There was a lack of advancement as well.
Depending what area you work in can be a challenge. Reactive and planned work means jobs that need to be done within a specific timeframe;learnt a lot of acronomys and used a lot of their applications and systems. Management was always changing like the business - insecure;workplace culture can be demanding and some of the people are not very nice;hardest part is being not given proper training; repetitive but love it.
Pros
free barbeques and morning teas.
Cons
confusing at times...
Great people some areas lacking leadership. High level regarding safety. More different branch collusion required. Overall great place to work. And a feeling of contributing to the community as a whole
Pros
Rdos
Cons
Processes and procedures being transparent at times
I do Electrical & Instrumentation design works, coordinate with Electricians to ensure the installation meets the design drawings.
After, I coordinate with the commissioning & PLC teams to ensure the project is running.

Then I close the drawings redlines to have an As Built Drawings.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Water Corporation?
Not a place for a person looking for career progression. Long term employees always on leave and people seconded from other departments do not care because they move on
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor pay and poor creer prospects
Company ok but management not really got clue how to manage workloads and people

Total waste of time trying to have a career here, its management just change plans and projects at drop of hat, run like typical government agency. easy to work there but soul destroying
Pros
Cons
no change of career
I thoroughly enjoyed this job due to the flexibility of the starting hours and the great management. The challenges I faced are the harsh weather conditions, repetitive walking and near incidents with dogs and insects.
Pros
Fairly independent
Cons
Poor weather conditions
40 odd years of service at a variety of positions and locations.
Good rewards for hard work.

Some interesting and varied work, although a lot of it is repetative.
Pros
Securety
Cons
Stress
Creating BIDs and evaluation of documents to create a contract with a supplier was most rewarding. Friendships made with work colleagues was fun. Management was supportive.
Pros
Flexable working hours
Cons
No onsite parking
I spent 5 years working for this Company. To this day I still love it and the people whom I had the pleasure to work with. Like any job it really depends on who your manager is and what the culture is like within your team. Overall can't fault this company, great place to work for.
Pros
Family Work Life Balance
Cons
Lots of processes change and frequently; organisational structure changes
The culture still retains many elements of the public service days (the Water Authority was corporatized in 1996), with regard to developing and retaining staff. Highly skilled senior technical staff are happy to spend time helping junior engineers develop, and there are opportunities to rotate into a broad range of areas throughout the Corporation, which is encouraged.
Its history and state government ministerial scrutiny have led to extremely well-developed business systems. Far from the bureaucratic nightmare I was warned about, the systems were straightforward to use, sensible, and easily revised through a quality management system. The logistics and tendering processes are transparent and verifiable, with repeatable assessments for things such as local content preferences.

It has an excellent safety culture, putting what I have seen in the oil & gas industry to shame.

There was a range of flexible working arrangements available, from the purchase of up to an extra 12 weeks of annual leave to a 5-year programme that allowed one year off at the same salary after four years at 80% of the nominal rate.

The history of a unionized public sector means that long-term clerical staff are paid very well, comparable to technical staff.

Sadly, management now sees the Corporation as a management company, rather than a doing company, and the business strategy is to outsource as much as possible (despite the poor outcome of this at the Department of Main Roads and other utilities). Consequently, they are far less interested in retaining staff and have adopted policies and workplace
 - more...
Unfortunately I was working for a service provider that was not as good as working directly for the Water Corporation.

Kinetic IT was not the best company to work for, but I would definitely go back to work directly for the Water Corporation given the chance.
Pros
Great culture and people.
Cons
Worked through a service provider
Great to work for, great possibilities, the on site training is really good very happy working here get awesome benefits, every one is good to work with.
I enjoyed being an intern and learned so many new things there. I enjoyed being a part of a wonderful team and try to deliver my level best. Keeping my fingers cross and hoping for something more interesting in my future.
Pros
Learning Part
Cons
No any
I really enjoyed working at the Water Corp, Everyone who worked there had been there all their life.
Company politics were usually integrated with management which was good for the other workers.
Pros
Excellent culture and benefits
Cons
Upper management lost touch with mid management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Water Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.