Wesley Mission Queensland Employee Reviews

Friendly and approachable staff and management
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD27 March 2019
You were always given help if and when needed. The residents were always given options and had a plethora of choices. Well resourced and well organised.
Unfortunately a bullying culture throughout management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jindalee QLD5 December 2018
Great facility with many dedicated staff who work extremely hard.
Management will not listen to any concerns regarding the workplace culture. Management practise intimidation of employees to coerce them to be quiet regarding many concerning workplace practices

Staff endeavour to improve things for clients without support from management
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Management are corrupt and dishonest
Staff contact
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  QLD7 November 2018
A very busy fortnight with input for new staff, terminations and fortnight wages. Running shift rosters into the pay system. Corrections after wages have been distributed.
Ain
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Queensland7 November 2018
I worked in high care and palliative care. It was a very rewarding job even though it was hard and heavy work. Just showing up to work and being able to make even just one resident smile or make their days just a little easier was so rewarding,
Pros
Flexible around study
Cons
Heavy work
Provide provide proper training and supervision
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sinnamon Park QLD4 November 2018
Good place to work. Feeding client, changing their incontinence pads, getting them in and out of bed, and talking to them and keeping them company when things were not so busy.

I learned a lot about caring for dementia clients.
Pros
Good Lunch room, tea coffee microwave, lockers.
Cons
much walking - rooms are really spread out
Good workplace
Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Sinnamon Park QLD15 September 2018
- Good workplace, continuously improving
- Always striving to do better
- Good working environment
- Friendly staff
- Caring and empathetic staff
Great job, poor management
Carer (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD6 July 2018
idealistic job: case management, therapeutic interventions, providing quality of life opportunities to clients, individualized care packages and end of life care in a wonderful custom-made environment. Loved the families, the clients, the potential...
senior management have no clue what happens on the care floor; the stresses and strains, under-staffing, staff working over-time & missing breaks to provide one-to-one care. sadly there is strong culture of bullying, blame, harassment; inconsistency and favoritism exist.
The NGO is primarily Christian. It promotes and practices Christian values and beliefs yet Buddhism reigns in this environment! mindfulness and meditation sessions are compulsory elements of your training & work. If you're a christian and don't agree then be prepared to be challenged or persecuted for standing by your faith.
lack of career development, no funding, no progression. inadequate support and mentorship.
Pros
massive building, staff are valued by clients
Cons
inflexible working hours, poorly managed, no career development
it was lovely working with the families
In home carer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD11 June 2018
I would work for these families again given the chance
I would take my own activities and arts and crafts for the children to do on a daily basis. we did things like learn the alphabet, learnt how to spell & count. all the families were absolutely wonderful and it was very sad saying goodbye to them as you become part of the family.
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sinnamon Park QLD21 May 2018
Personal Care Staff and Nursing Staff provided great support and encouragement. Variety of shifts offered to meet work/life balance. Getting to know the residents and providing support to them was extremely rewarding.
All worse places to work
Carer (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD12 February 2018
I was an employee at Wesley Mission and now work from agency . Workplace culture was very bad before..... Still worse. Poor management, very disorganized places and so on. Would not recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Big building
Cons
Poor management
Good place
Administration officer (Former Employee) –  Sinnamon Park QLD20 November 2017
Good employee benefits like salary sacrifice, holiday homes for a fraction of the cost for employees. Many employee development programs for all staff
Good company to work for
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD12 September 2017
Not alot of room for personal growth for furthering your career. Great for working parents with flexibility in your hours and understanding management.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
No advancement
Great Company
Youth Housing Worker (Current Employee) –  Eagleby QLD29 May 2017
Wesley Mission is a great place to work, they provide great employee benefits and professional development training. A strong focus is on keeping staff on long term, all management have been employed for a number of years and are passionate about their roles.
Personal care
Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Queensland15 December 2016
I will like to do this job and im very interested .please i need to work with older people .i can do this job any day any time. I will be able to follow the work rules.
Pros
My own lunch
Cons
Long
A fantastic team to work along side
Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD7 January 2016
The team that I work with are extremely hard working and dedicated in so many ways.

Each and every day is different for me, as I am in the office or on the road travelling from North Lakes to Robina, attending meetings, community meetings, Shopping centres, libraries and general cold calling, I enjoy the flexibility of the role and I enjoy the networks that I engage with to develop new business
Pros
My fellow co workers
Cons
Nothing to report
fun workplace
Personal Carer, Activity Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD8 June 2015
Working as a team and helping others makes me feel good

I have learned to be patient, not everyone is the same, learned to work under pressure and stress and never to give up, because there's always a positive in a negative situation, you just need to be patient.

Management is always there to support employee's in what ever problems they may have and its not just your co-workers you need support but also from managements.

I love to work as a team and to share what I have experienced and to help where ever I can. I work well with others and communication with your co-workers get the job done.

At the end of the day if my goal was not success then I tend to take my work home and continue till I accomplish.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have helped someone smile and helping them achieve their goal.
we have work and life balance
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chermside, QLD6 April 2015
Management and staffs are very supportive, I've able to develop a good interpersonal skills, through diversity of staffs and co-workers.
Pros
Benefits and the residents are thankful to your help
Cons
attachment to the residents
room for growth and learning.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD5 February 2015
An extreme case of multi tasking at different levels. The most enjoyable aspect of this position was the contact with the residents they were delightful.
Pros
learnt new tasks
Cons
time management was a balancing act
A great work environment, great co-workers, good management
Assistant In Nursing (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD29 January 2015
at wesley mission i was lucky enough to experience aged care nursing at its finest, a positive working environment that bought out the best care in the elderly patients.
Very Demanding and high pressure position looking after elderly with dimentia
Assistant in Nursing - Aged Care and Disability (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD21 September 2014
Wesley Mission is one of the most leading providers in looking after the aged and confirmed. All their technology and training is up to the date and have been rated as one of the top nursing facilities in Australia.
A typical day at work is addressing the most important need of the residents and preparing them for the day, this may be from showering to dressing, preparing them for breakfast and in some instances feeding them. From here it is just of process of what is important and what needs to be done from minute to minute. We do have a set routine but when you are dealing with people that have dementia, you sometimes just have to take one step at a time.
My work colleagues are lovely and we all work as a team, sometimes we are buddied, but it depends on the residents and what is required for the day.
The hardest part of the job is seeing people locked in their own minds, without a clue sometimes of where they are and why they are there. The other part is that some of the residents are just basically dumped in the facility and don't have any visitors or relatives that come and check on them. The other sad thing is that we operate on what is called the "Eden Philosophy" where residents have their personal things and sometimes their animals around them. Some residents have absolutely nothing that reminds them of home, not a TV, a picture or anything familiar and that makes me so sad.
Pros
Gives you a first hand view of what it is like to get old and forgotten
Cons
Can be very distressing and hard to take.