Wesley Mission Queensland Employee Review

View all Wesley Mission Queensland reviews

Very Demanding and high pressure position looking after elderly with dimentia
Assistant in Nursing - Aged Care and Disability (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD21 September 2014
Wesley Mission is one of the most leading providers in looking after the aged and confirmed. All their technology and training is up to the date and have been rated as one of the top nursing facilities in Australia.
A typical day at work is addressing the most important need of the residents and preparing them for the day, this may be from showering to dressing, preparing them for breakfast and in some instances feeding them. From here it is just of process of what is important and what needs to be done from minute to minute. We do have a set routine but when you are dealing with people that have dementia, you sometimes just have to take one step at a time.
My work colleagues are lovely and we all work as a team, sometimes we are buddied, but it depends on the residents and what is required for the day.
The hardest part of the job is seeing people locked in their own minds, without a clue sometimes of where they are and why they are there. The other part is that some of the residents are just basically dumped in the facility and don't have any visitors or relatives that come and check on them. The other sad thing is that we operate on what is called the "Eden Philosophy" where residents have their personal things and sometimes their animals around them. Some residents have absolutely nothing that reminds them of home, not a TV, a picture or anything familiar and that makes me so sad.
Pros
Gives you a first hand view of what it is like to get old and forgotten
Cons
Can be very distressing and hard to take.

Other Wesley Mission Queensland Employee Reviews

Fun working environment
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Brisbane South QLD22 May 2019
But no pay stability due to losing hours. No fixed working hours with clients being rotated . Suitable for second income but not as primary income. on going improvement in management
Friendly and approachable staff and management
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD27 March 2019
You were always given help if and when needed. The residents were always given options and had a plethora of choices. Well resourced and well organised.