Western Power Employee Reviews

I would not recommend being employed at Western Power.
Contractor Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Western Australia25 April 2019
I would not recommend being employed at Western Power.
Nobody in the organisation can be trusted,
Management is out of touch with the workforce.
It has a culture of stab your way to the top.
Pros
Cons
Western Power
good opportunities but management not so good
A-grade Electrician (Current Employee) –  Perth WA9 April 2019
great way to see the state with a lot of opportunities to get tickets and accreditations, great teams within the construction and maintenance sections of the business
Good team spirit at the depots
PROJECT NETWORK OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Mandurah, WA, AU10 December 2018
Great bunch of people to work with at Mandurah depot, staff are always keen to help out with work loads and breakdowns. Great manager at the depot as well, firm and fair.
Pros
Fair saleries
Cons
Reduction in overtime hours
Loved it
Projects Officer, Switcher, Lineman/Jointer (Former Employee) –  Bridgetown WA18 July 2018
Great job with lots of varied rolls to perform ranging from Project Management, Switching, Linework, Crane driving, Cable Jointing with a big district to maintain.
Pros
Varied Projects
Cons
Long Hrs on call
Shift work was a challenge
Network Controller (Former Employee) –  Perth WA7 February 2018
The job was paid well however, I found the shift work the most challenging. Working 2 day 2 nights, i found i could not get into good sleep patterns.
The work involved working closely in a small team which involved long working hour and having good inter personnel skills was a essential.
Pros
well renumerated
Cons
poor sleep habits affected my health
Productive and Friendly
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 December 2017
1. a typical day is easy going
2. I learned more IT skills and Admin skills
3. Management is good
4. Workplace is quiet and friendly
5. The hardest part of the job is when you get too busy and start drifting off.
6. The most enjoyable part of the job is people talking to me and moving around the workplace
Pros
Provides free coffee and tea with a kitchen
Software and Procedures are convoluted.
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA29 November 2017
Software and Procedures are convoluted and departments do not communicate common work practices. Staff are competing with high workloads with little to no office support.
Like working with an extended family group
Computer Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA21 November 2017
Typical day was data centre operations, on shift. Working autonomously a lot, meant you had to be proactive and know what to do, who to call. Management we supportive. Workplace culture was inclusive and friendly. Hardest part of the job was long hours due to shift work. Enjoyable part of job was working autonomously a fair percentage of the time.
Pros
Shift work, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Shift work, long hours
Stressful environment where dedication to the job is underrated
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth Head Office2 November 2017
The value of the worker across the board seems to be of absolutely no importance, and I would reluctantly work there again. WP is a company in crisis and as a result, stress is rife.
Pros
Adequate remuneration
Cons
Poor treatment of staff
Dysfunctional organisation lacking in identity
Networks officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA30 October 2017
Western Power once aspired to receive engineering and operational awards through the progressive development of infrastructure and power systems for the betterment of the community and the state. Having out-sourced all of it's most basic and essential functions (at a considerably inflated cost), it now strives to receive call centre awards. Western Power is a floundering company that has lost its identity and is wasting tax payers money.
Pros
Refurbished head office facilities
Cons
Toxic work environment, incompetent management, lack of company direction
Exciting, Chalanging and Rewarding place to work
Trainer/Compliance/Coordinator/Linesman (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 August 2017
I had worked for this company for 32 years and in this time I met a lot of great people some challenging but overall they were a great bunch. The job was challenging at best but I think the challenges were the thing that made it a great place to work. Great training to prepare you for the job to come. Comradery, great mates and sometimes even empowering managers that could see the potential in you.
Can work unsupervised
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Welshpool WA23 July 2017
I worked for Western Power for nearly 11 years. It was the longest time I held as a full time employee. My teams I worked with were of the highest value and gave me a great sense of satifaction when they completed our projects together, on time and on budget.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Became a little handcuffed with all the paper work in the final 18 months
Good working environment and flexible working arrangements
Human Resources Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA29 June 2017
Day to day work regarding structures and HRIS information update and input.
Flexible working arrangements
New on-line HR system
Good people to work with - great team
Systems Integration Project Manager:
I proactively provided Project Management (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 February 2017
I proactively provided Project Management for the Western Power’ Continuous Improvement Implementation Program to deliver the “Holistic Inspections” technology for in-service assets along the electrical power distribution corridor (Conception June 2014 into Production Go-Live July 2015).

This encompassed all inspection programs for power poles, conductors, plant equipment and in-situ vegetation. Key application components delivered included; Inspection Work Order Estimates, Mobile Inspector Scripts (delivered on Tough Pads), Equipment List Builder and Vegetation Management. The complex development environment included: ABB Ellipse enterprise asset management, Oracle database, Java, and Hudson web-based continuous integration server.
Pros
New technology
Cons
No work-life balance
good work enviroment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 January 2017
training is very good and well organised and relevant to the work, culture is supported by management . there is a good social club with family activities.
Pros
permanent positions
Cons
lots of management input
Western Power - Australia
Network Planner (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA31 December 2016
Working at Western Power I have only worked and interacted with profession and committed teams and individuals. I would recommend the company as a place to gain knowledge and experience if new to the industry.
Fun workplace
Linesman (Former Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA2 November 2016
Ive learned that on everyday at work you have to be 100% focus on your job to obtain safety not only for your self but also for your workmates and public and at the end of the day most important is for everone to go home safely with our famillies and friends
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Do not appreciate what you did
Great company to work for. No complanits about WP. Will miss working there with awesome people.
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Perth WA16 October 2016
I didn't expect my journey to come to an end so quickly. I didn't want to leave but WP provided such a great opportunity, I made the decision to take a VS. Once WP settles down from all the changes, the culture and people will too.
Productive and high paced worked environment
Admin/Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth CBD WA25 August 2016
This was a customer focused job position, dealing with electricians and builders.
Organising paperwork and ensuring all details were filled in correctly into the data base.
There was a lot of management changes, so learning new procedures. I got along with my co-workers and worked well within my team.
The hardest part of the job was when a large contract came through for the connection of for example 40 meters. Liaising with electricians and builders and notifying them of the quote and what the cost would be, sometimes met opposition and explaining to them the reasons why.
Pros
Working in a modern office
Cons
Long days
flexible work hours