Western Sydney University Employee Reviews

Opportunity to innovate
Visiting Professor - Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia31 March 2019
The university supported new ideas in teaching.
Workplace culture was diversified and hence I found it to be great.
Good connect with management.
Teaching was always in the evenings after work and hence a bit tiresome at times
Progressive IT leadership
Senior IT Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond NSW13 March 2019
Good IT leaders driving innovation. Rest of the university exhibit pretty poor culture in all aspects, including discrimination and low staff morale and productivity.
Permanent positions are mainly awarded based on longevity not competency.
Cons
location
fun, working environment
Assitant Events Coorinator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales10 March 2019
easy going, open door policy. Ppl are always willing to help you out. The hardest part of the job was learning to utilize the various channels of approval as there were multiple departments handling different aspects of the university.
Western Sydney University
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW20 February 2019
The university has a fantastic international student base and is dynamic and covers spectrums from commercial to social to environmental.

I enjoyed mixing in a multi cultural teaching environment
Life style
Temporary casual driving duties (Former Employee) –  Sydney New South Wales16 January 2019
Job suited me at this point in my life. Life style and hours complimented work.
Point to point driving. Positives meeting people. Negatives: Western Sydney University lack of transparency and engagement with workforce.
Pros
Life style suitability
Cons
Bad management and culture
Greatest Universities within the Western Suburbs
Student (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW4 January 2019
Western Sydney University (WSU) creates a prodigious environment for students to balance study, work and social life. Each class is full of energy and fails to provide an unfulfilling atmosphere through lack of learning. Each class has courageous teachers who stretch beyond their limits to ensure each student is satisfied and understands the course topic. Within every lecture, it is a guarantee that each invidiual will learn something unique that was not known before. Each day is a new, exciting, postivie day and it is one of the best Western Sydney universities I have attended and researched about.
Pros
Positive people, engaging environment, many free facilities
Cons
Little to none
Productive workplace
Case Worker Disability Support (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW11 December 2018
It’s better if is salary based than hourly based more secure. There is also leeway for sick leave in cases of illness and holiday pay which is not contributed on a contract based.
A good launching pad for Academic Careers
Seasonal Academic (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW28 October 2018
The facilities are top-notch and general work culture is friendly friendly and relaxed, all other staff are very open and helpful to new employees. For academics this is an excellent place to get started on your careers.
Productive and fun working environment working at all campuses with students
Ask Us Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW24 October 2018
As a student working for Western Sydney University was a great experience. The working times were flexible so if there were classes or exams we just had to let the employers know that we were not available at the time.

The work culture was great! There we were all students that were studying at Western Sydney University, but we were all at different stages of our degrees. Everyone was bubbly and passionate about what they were doing, which made it fun to work there.

While working at Western Sydney University I enhanced my teamwork and communication skills.
Pros
Staff benefits, free lunch, incentives, flexible work times which was good as I was a student at the time.
OK place
Senior IT Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond NSW23 October 2018
can't talk across the board and my comments only apply to ICT organisation.
Good team, good CIDO but quite mediocre leadership team.
Positions are filled preferently to long serving permanent employees rathe than on merit.
Things progress more slowly than desirable but overall it is about an average place to work for.
Pros
Relaxed low pressure environment
Cons
Location in Richmond
Corporate
University Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 October 2018
Very Corporate organisation. Most keep to themselves. Growing and thriving organisation. Great degrees. Great lecturers. No sense of security or stability in work roles.
Pros
Great lecturers
Cons
static work culture.
A university learning community
Panel Member Casual Lecturers (Spanish) (Former Employee) –  Sydney9 October 2018
Although I was on the panel of causal lecturers, I never actually taught a course there because of other circumstances. As a result I am not in a position to write a review about this institution.
Productive environment personally but management could have been better.
Tutor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 September 2018
Most environments were productive and stimulating especially when working with students from more exclusive faculties eg Medicine. Never found the work very difficult and always attempted to get published research done. Relationship with management depended upon style of leadership employed. Ditto for workplace culture. Research and publications are the most rewarding parts of academic emploi. Hardest part is doing repetitive classes with very young students.
Pros
Being in a professional environment.
Cons
Repeat classes with young students.
This was work experience
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 July 2018
I worked here for 5 days and enjoyed the University experience, however my duties were very limited and basic. I had a great rapport with my colleges and they were great people to work with.
Fun place to work, able to attend gym
Grants Officer in Office of Research Services (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 July 2018
Fun place to work, able to attend gym.
Every Friday staff attended a luncheon together.
Flexible work hours - able to come in late or go early if a Dr's appointment was required.

When deadlines were required you had to work longer hours than your usual hrs.

The manager gave us flexibility to be able work independently and trust that the work would be done in a timely fashion.
Pros
Attending gym, hour for lunch if required. Flexi time accumulated
Cons
Long hours on deadlines
good
Mentoring and student aid programs assisting (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 June 2018
Great pay, decent people, customer service/student service oriented and a need to be bubbly but overall a good experience. A lot of benefits in terms of free things
Friendly staff
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond NSW23 May 2018
Friendly staff and great place for job security, if you are not a contractor but a full-time staff member.

There are some potential movement within the university, if you are looking to progress

However there can be a lot of politics within the company, as with most large organisations.
Great Workplace, Very supportive
VOLUNTEER/COMMUNITY WORK (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW18 April 2018
I have really enjoyed working and studying at Western Sydney University, In my role as a Disability Collective Officer I have been able to develop my skills in advocating for students needs, liaising with community organisations and Student Representatives as well as attending workshops and conferences to enhance my professional and personal development.
productive and fun workplace
Voluntary Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2018
enjoying help student to achieve their goals, facing the challenges and overcome any obstacles to give the student an opportunity reach their goals, this is the most important part of working with student
Enjoyed working with Students at Western Sydney University
Student Welfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Western Sydney University as a Student Welfare Officer. I learned a lot to support and provide help to undergraduate and post graduate students.
My manager was the best manager I have ever had in my work experience. The hardest part of the job was to address to quickly respond to the student's needs during the three first weeks of the semester.
I felt good after achieving a better outcome when I support a student during student academic misconduct meeting with the Dean