Westpac Group

Westpac Group Employee Reviews

Australia405 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Good place to work but lack of decisions

Good place to start a job as everyone is friendly and culture is good. However, leaders are afraid to make decisions and are looking at how to prolong the longevity of their job rather than make changes.

Toxic Culture

I have worked at Westpac in various roles I was thrown into the deep end with no support. I have watched over the last few months high turn over of staff because we don’t feel valued or supported. Short staffed and long hours the systems are so slow. Staff don’t want to take servicing and only want sales. I now work at another bank and I didn’t realise how toxic it was and what they put my through I will never forget. I know debating if I should seek therapy as the business left me depressed.The higher ups have no clue what happens in the branch they want everything online and close branches to reflect that. I’m glad I left it was never like this from the start and I wish Westpac will learn from these issues.

Pros

Uniform

Cons

Long hours, No support

Great experience

Great company to work for who strongly encouraged work and life balance . Plenty of opportunities within other areas should you wish to change your career path

Micro management

Bias culture boss favouritism Lack of knowledge in training changes. Less management focus. I found there were to much pressure put on the workers to provide management targets.

Cons

Productive, friendly and work life balance

Westpac is a good place to work. They provide and encourage people to improve positions through assessments. They also equipped you with necessary tools to do your job.

Big company sometimes lack of mgmt hit too many consultants and outsourced personnel changing every year.. there’s always system changes ; there’s double handling of work in the credit department

Overall a good company

Slow paced Work life balance is given priorityCollaborative Friendly cultureLearning is a bit slowSiloed Lateral movement to other teams is possible.

Great place to work but slow to change

Good people, below average salary and bonus. Slow to change and too many different systems to learn and use. Good employee benefits including flexibility to work from home and employee discounts.

Toxic Environment, avoid!!

Things have changed in the last 6 months and employee morale and mental health is at an all time low. Instead of helping they sweep it under the rug and pretend it’s not happening. Some staff working above and beyond whats expected of them for no recognition while others are being rewarded for simply turning up. It depends on if you’re the favourite or not which you won’t be if you stand up for yourself and your rights. Claim they are “people helping people” but really that should be changed to “people trying to squeeze every last cent out of customers so we can post another 6 Billion dollar profit again”. No job is worth this much emotional stress. Don’t even bother.

Happy but took time

The hardest part of a typical day is dealing with outsourced work, the best part, the work life balance, generally management is top down. The culture doesn’t like change and I learned from my own initiative.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Doesn’t like change

As a company it will give u space to grow and catchup.. management is good and supportiveManagement is flexible with wfhGood work life balance Good growing opportunity

Toxic environment

Worked here for 15 years, was great to start with but the last few years management had changed and the environment had become toxic. High workload with minimal training and unrealistic expectations, constant pressure to take calls, with not enough staff to take them. Higher customer dissatisfaction due to new staff not having enough experience and mistakes being made.

Great part-time job in an awesome work environment

My team was small, and close-knit. Being a junior staff member, everyone was extremely helpful and committed to helping me grow and learn. The culture was great and the work was very hands on.

You must be a selling machine. Not much care for clients.

I was forced to push sales to customers who were at the branch even if it was just to change an address. They are understaffed so I would constantly get yelled at by customers who had waited an hour in the queue. even though I wasn't even a cashier. The manager at my branch was good but the regional manager wasn't. I asked many times for help to move across the company to an administrative role and got laughed at. They don't care for your own progress, you are a selling machine and customers are just numbers to them.

Culture is poor, management is useless

Bank has lot of potential and the nature of the work is great. However, the work culture is pathetic as no one works collaboratively to solve a problem. Everyone just wants to talk and no one has time to look at the details.Management layer is the worst that I have experienced so far. They don't care about the culture and when anyone raises any concern they just don't act. That's why this bank has so many issues with the regulators.No appreciation on the good work but lot of people are ready to ask questions even if slightest of mistakes happen.Only GOD can help this organisation

Pros

Contracting opportunities, work life balance

Cons

Management, Work culture

Fun work place great people

Love working for the westpac group lots of help there available if you need anything there’s no judgement at all. In case of emergency there’s always support from the people leader.

Great family friendly supportive work environment

I would definitely work for westpac again Very supportive with the right manager and team Lots to learn and opportunities to grow and refresh policy and procedures uniform benefits Great Super

Pros

Uniform salary flexible supportive

Cons

Long hours at times

Good culture but comes with fair bit of improvement initiatives that's affected work life balance.

Westpac is a pretty big organisation with a good appetite to allow you to acclimitize and deliver. Intra and cross team comms and collaborations are good. People will complain about the slow pace of progress, but one has to understand that it's not a startup and having had a technology foundation that's a bit on the antiquated side, changes will come but with sometime. Foundations laid historically, contributed to the complexity and fragmented systems and processes which the current CEO is pushing to improve

Pros

Good team culture

Cons

Stretched hours, Pay can be better

Toxic systemic work environment. It’s all about the sales and you are only a number within the organisation.

0/5 rating. Toxic systemic work environment. It’s all about the sales and you are only a ranking number within the organisation and as good as your last SALE!!I REPEAT … Toxic systemic work environment. It’s all about the sales and you are only a rankling number within the organisation.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Toxic culture until you crash and burn and replaced with another vulnerable person.

Unrealistic target setting, middle/upper management no idea on how branch land really works to put their demands in practice. Culture of sell sell sell. Not a happy place at times.

Cons

Hard unrealistic targets

Terrible culture that does not reward good work

Having worked here for 3 years it is obvious why Westpac is always in the news for stuff ups and their website and apps are so terrible. The culture here does not reward hard work or talent and is led by senior management who have essentially retired but show up for the sake of their ego and to get another nice pay cheque. No vision and forever playing catch up with CBA. The 15+ year staff here are the worst. It’s all about image and sucking up here. Don’t you dare speak up even if there are glaringly obvious risks or issues because you will be punished for it. Would not recommend unless you want a job where you want to get paid for stroking someone’s ego.

Pros

Unchallenging work

Cons

Unchallenging work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westpac Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Westpac Group with