Westpac Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Westpac Group Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

M&R Adelaide NOT a good experience

I would not recommend working in the monitoring and reporting team (part of AML and sanctions) in Adelaide. You are not treated like a human, just expected to work like and are treated like a robot that is there purely to pump out statistics with no real world impacts. Very much a typical call centre environment. Managers very inexperienced and inept at dealing with people.

Pros

Staff benefits are ok. Work from home.

Cons

Expected to work 30 min extra per day for free

Crushing

Huge sales expectations. Sometimes unrealistic. Hard core morning meeting about how to reach targets. Always push push push, the more you give the more they want.

Pros

Great team of colleagues

Cons

Take the stress home with you.

Poor Biased Management

I did not have a good experience at Westpac. Management does not do its job, engages in favoritism and bias. Does nothing to advance team member's career and does not give timely feedback.

Pros

Good Infrastructure

Cons

Poor Management

Toxic and unfair

I do not recommend working for this business. Management are egotistical and lie, to climb the corporate ladder. Not only are you treated unfairly but fire you when you are used up after years of loyalty. Horrid place. Having any type of fun is frowned upon. Stay away!

Pros

Work Friends

Cons

Unfair treatment. Bullying by management and TLs.

Culture to be questioned

Micro management from some ManagersPoor culture where you are encouraged to speak up, however there can be repercussions when you do. You are also encouraged to say nothing and not rock the boat. Which is it? Many Managers have been in the role for too long and need to move on. Forget performance management of any staff, impossible to do this, Westpac would rather move staff around than address behaviors.

Pros

Good remuneration

Cons

Stress and lack of support

Banking is great - westpac is not

I loved the customers while there but you can not move forward unless you are up the managers & regional managers bums, regardless if you are the top sales in the branch. Staff benefits non existant, the just don’t care and way too much emphasis on things not needed

Pros

Non

Cons

Good culture, great people to work with

Pros: great working culture, nice people. Depends on your manager, you may progress relatively fast if you perform. Cons: politics exist, need to know how to play the game. Some late hours if you are in reporting function with a strict deadline.

Branch I worked at was good but higher management do not care

I originally believed in Westpac as a company and was proud to work for them. This definitely applied at a branch level, I loved what we could do for our customers but I lost a lot of respect for the company as a whole after a recent experience. I do not believe in them anymore and think their values and purpose only go so far and I resigned due to this. They also need to allow enough training time for compliance and updates. Very hard to keep up to date when you’re part time and the only teller in the branch.

Pros

Customers

Cons

Higher management

Pathetic and petty Area Manager

Managed a remote site on contract for 9 months, area manager had no idea of the towns issues and or culture. Expectations unreasonable. Local staff were great and did their best under difficult circumstances.

Pros

Nice local staff

Cons

Locals had many long standing grievances with Westpac and the bank did not properly address them.

You are a small cog in the machine at westpac

They are slavers who stress you out and then shame you if you are not working hard enough. They put your name in red on a performance board and in emails to embarrass you. They say it’s for motivation, however it makes people stressed. Those who pass their AHTs have been there for years. It’s all quantities over quality.

Pros

Social club. Some of the colleagues were nice.

Cons

Long hours, overtime of 1 hour every day off the books. I got paid about $700 per week, $400 lower than the average.

Jobs at Westpac Group

See more jobs

No career prospects at Westpac

As has been stated by several other people, you will not get any opportunities to advance beyond a "Manager" role. Any senior leadership roles or Exec positions are not hired internally, so dont believe anything they tell you about "career prospects". All work & decisions are made by Committees & even Execs who have no say in the work will stick their opinions in - the result is disjointed, micro managed, complex processes for getting work done. I even worked with people who didn't understand how their own department got work done!Finally, the 'culture' will tell you everything you want to hear & deliver on none of it. "Career prospects"?? No you dont have a career at Westpac. "Speak up if you identify any issues" - but we'll fire you or ignore the problems. "Westpac is about digital innovation"! But it took them 4 years to get Apple Pay working & their IT Teams caused the AUSTRAC issue through incompetency

Pros

salary

Cons

no career prospects, incompetent leadership, incompetent IT teams, overly complex business processes

Flexible working arrangements were welcome

Most individual management levels welcomed flexible working arrangements. Remote work from home options were available, work laptops and mobile phones were provided.

Pros

Flexible work arrangements

Demanding, high stress. Good business unit, culture and structure.

Westpac has a range of roles to suit you work ethic and desire. I would recommend getting into such an organisation that you can advance in your career or take on different roles.

Great employer

Supportive employer with plenty of opportunity for advancement. Great work culture and community involvement. Great job satisfaction. Work life balance, with good perks - discounted lending rates, insurances & financial planning

Pros

Supportive employer

Cons

Very performance focused

Good

It's a good place to work. Lousy purple say it is a relaxed place but my division was fast paced and your needed to be up and ruining. The experience was really nice and of not for covid-19 and my visa conditions, I would not have left.

Good company to work for, real interest in its people

Good culture and really good, knowledgeable people. Team culture very evident and exists across functional/business groups, but also across geographies

collaborative

collaborative, reliable, work life balance. adaptable and willing to guide staff on the Westpac way, however when it comes to their internal intranet and knowledge and understanding they lack some support and guidance in this area.

poor place to work

Work environment is not great to work in due to location. Management level have no idea what they need to do. not taking responsibility at all. Not a great experience

Westpac was a most professional and caring organisation in which to work

Professional and caring organisation with good values. They also hired me at 60 years of age which was a win win for both parties as I introduced business.

Working with Westpac

Great company to work for but most banks are. Very fair with opportunities in the company. I found Westpac to Be very flexible with their employees. The only thing I didn’t like is the sales they wanted us to put on the clients

Growth Opportunities and Great Culture

The people working at Westpac are a great bunch and there are exciting learning opportunities and always room for growth. My typical day involved helping my mentor out with her work and shadowing her during meetings. From this experience, I learnt email etiquette, taking minutes during meetings, PPT, and doing internal research. I also learnt about different technological concepts and most importantly, networked with a lot of people and gained invaluable insight into my career. Westpac by far as the best culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westpac Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Westpac Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?