WHSmith
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from WHSmith:

WHSmith Employee Reviews

Australia18 reviews
It is one of the best companies I have ever work. From senior management to the last person, everyone is cooperative. Help is always available when you ask for it. Very supportive work colleagues.
Pros
Spacious kitchen with free fruits. Friendly environment
Ok, not a bad place to work to get going. But it's a good place to work for Australians or for people with permanent residency.

Not easy to survive for many years.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dont get fixed hours. No proper information or training provided.
The working days change according to the seasons of holidays, trips or parties. Times like Holidays, Christmas and New Year are very busy.
Dynamic activities.

Great interaction with the public.

Teamwork.

Good learning.

Pleasant working environment.
I felt that the new managers brought in to replace my existing manager, asked the impossible, didnt listen to ideas specifically about streamlining business lines of stock ordering/receiving and receipting.
The coal face of the business was ignored due to the requests made that inconvenienced the team in head office.

No one wanted to listen, very frustrating
Amazing place to work, allows me to manage my time between university and work.

Great place to improve your communication skills.

Finally, it is a dream job for a person who's hobby is reading.
* the relationship within the team was a very strong bond
* I learned to manage people and delegate certain task

* the feedback from my staff can confirm that we had an enjoyable job
productive and fun workplace with feasible timings with diverse culture and a sophisticated management who cares about their employees. A typical day here is fun with the interaction with all the staff from different departments.
Whilst individual store experiences may differ the treatment from head office is awful. Not only is there very little opportunity to work your way up in the company (they prefer to hire new staff than promote from within) but they also have no loyalty or respect for their employees and have unrealistic expectations of staff.

Do not work for this company if you take pride in your work as you will receive no encouragement or gratitude and the only things that you will get feedback on are negatives.
Pros
Some of the customers are lovely
Cons
Pretty much everything that has to do with head office
The bottom line for them is cost and this shows with constant staffing issues, bad management of stores, food is left out for long periods with unsafe HACCP policies in place.
Fun out going person. Loves a challenge & also reliable.
Certificate 3 in commercial cookery.

Food safety supervisor certificate.

Aussie host retail certificate.

Restaurant services certificate.

Looking for a challenge.

I have been in business management in hospitals, restaurants & cafe, clubs.
Pros
Keeping busy, eorking hard to acheive goals.
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at WHSmith?
In WHsmith, airport its always a busy environment .We have to deal with lot of customers .Inventory moves very fast.Replenishment is an continuous process and also managing inventory is a challenging job.We always have to stay active and fresh to give the best service ,exciting offers and the best products.
Pros
goog working environment
Cons
managing staff is an issue
Amazing company to work for. great experience. great employees. amazing location, great pay. Got to learn a lot. Met some new amazing people. it was fun working there.
Pros
amazing location
Great place to work, just feel its time to move on.
learnt new skills as well as making new friends from all walks of life and a diversity of cultures is a bonus.Wonderful staff
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at WHSmith. My manager was very fair and friendly, and my co-workers were very welcoming.
Amazing experience, co-operative management, awesome environment and not to mention that a busy workplace as being head office
I feel happy and enthusiasm working in WHSmith. A lot of coworkers get along very well. We cooperate very often and I learn a lot of accounting and other knowledge there.
why do i need to do two of these ?the job is only temporary i dislike it and can't wait to get out, the customers a vile to us staff and the money is horrible, they dont even pay right half of the time
Got routine of accepting goods from delivery drivers, accepting good's into system by GRing. Then calculating the distribution process and loading trolleys to be taken up to stores. Managing a small window of time to take stock, and co-workers splitting tasks to be most beneficial to company. Physical labour can be demanding at times. Atmosphere in warehouse helps in passing time while working.
Pros
Lunch break at time of your choice (not at run times since its a 2:30 hour window)
Cons
Even while undermanned, no extra staff to help.