Woolworths Supermarket
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Woolworths Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 3,600 reviews matching the search
Plenty of opportunities to advance your career if you want to and not only within supermarkets many varied places in the company. E.g. petrol sites, bws liquor outlets, Big W department stores. Woolworths also own pokies venues they are one of Australia's largest pokie companies. These are just some of the companies that Woolworths own and operate they have many more I just can't remember them all.
Pros
Staff Discount and meeting many different people
Cons
Money isn't great unless your in managment or above.
Excellent work for students from high school and University. Reasonable for older people, however in my opinion it's starting to change, especially since the company has to be profitable for the shareholders every financial year. This dictates decisions at the middle management/store level. Cuts are generally from the bottom up as far as staffing levels and hours. If you want a career here in management, I definitely feel it's not worth the salary and work/life sacrifice. On the positive side it's solid.
Pros
Free breakfast food/coffee and tea
Cons
Can be pressured and stressful at times of the year where support isn't cost effective
I wish I could give 0 stars. They paid us the minimum wage and subjected us to horrible conditions. They told me that I couldn't take sick leave when I was sick, this was during corona's height when people were told to stay at home if they have feverish/flu symptoms, so I put my foot down and refused to come in until I was better.
Cons
Long Hours, Abusive Managers, No Life to Work Balance
I love working with the people at Woolworths and getting to know your regulars. You can move around the store into different departments and you can also move up the ladder if you like.
Pros
Great meal breaks/ flexibility
Cons
Very stressful environment. You get the good and bad managers. My personal experience was not good as they told confidential details on why I was not able to come to work to the team in which resulted in harsh comments from team members. They say their team is like family which is not true. It’s all for one and one for all in a workplace like this. You are on a 6 month “probation period” in which you are paid $17 an hour and always cancel your shifts and put on too many people.
Cons
Long hours little pay.
Didn’t get shifts for weeks on end. The managers are terrible The interview to get the job was great and I expected the job to be way different. On induction they didn’t even know we had arrived and waited in the lunch room for an hour. The induction was rushed and a lot to take in. You’d go 6 weeks on end with no shifts and have to ring for shifts and it was a fight to get extra work. The employees that have been there for months/ years are Stuck in cold storage for hours (when the job advertisement said nothing about cold storage) while they employ new people and put them in ambient. Very unfair. The weekend shifts are given to uni students or people on working visas. Promised part time but was put on casual during covid and hasn’t changed. If you’re casual you’re expected to pick up shifts and you can only do 5 days a week
Pros
Cons
Not enough work
I was switching from my job to this one, and is been exceptionally good. Working at Woolworths is great for long run. In terms of job security. It's been fun.
Pros
Occasionally
Cons
Fair
It’s easy to learn skills in Woolworths, able to get along with team members. Got help when I needed it from stuff. A very clean and tidy work place to be in.
Pros
Snacks made for all stuff to eat when on break
Cons
Not much hours
No management or supervisors ever around front end area. Have to page them every time. And sometimes it takes a while for them to come.The line manager is really mean and can snap at staff. Appears to really stressed out and difficult to approach.Poor communication overall with supervisors and management as their communication can come off as rude and condescending. They appear as if they don't care about their staffSo much disorganisation with management. They don't train staff properly.
Cons
Unprofessional anf disorganised management
Terrible place to work. Management use you and abuse you. Management have no issues to take advantage off you and rip you off. Not a happy place to work at. Everyone dreads working there. Only work at woolies if you're desperate. Otherwise you'll end up hanging yourself or blowing your brains out for any other reasons to work there.
Pros
At least they pay you
Cons
Stress, getting ripped off.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Woolworths Supermarket?
Management made it extremely difficult for things such as leave, being sick and confidentiality. Be careful not to say anything personal as it will be talked about. One thing I won’t forget was during the COVID peak, I had become sick with flu symptoms yet they still made me finish my shift. I would not recommend working for such a company who only sees you as a number and doesn’t care for you as a person.
Pros
Good hours and shifts
Cons
Lack of confidentiality and care
Worked at woolworths for 3 years, started off as a good job with lots of flexibility, however company greed prevailed and quickly became overworked and mismanaged. Staff were expected to do the work of multiple people in order to meet budgetary goals. Left what felt like a sinking ship, though for a multi billion dollar company unfortunately that method works for them. There will always be someone to take a quiters place. Disappointing how they treat staff, however, if a store is well managed and organised, this would be a very positive job to have.
Pros
Somewhat flexible hours, award rate of pay
Cons
Poor company culture
Wish I never leftVery well run supermarketCEO was goodFreedom within frameworkFurther trainingManagement supportiveDon’t go to Coles it doesn’t compare
I enjoyed the work in woolworths. It was a nice experience to work in the woolworths. Friendly and co-operative environment. Anyone will love to work in woolworths.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Medium hours
Best part of woollies is always the team members. Management changes almost quarterly and can never get it right. If you work as casual they will slowly cut shifts until your forced to ask for part time.
Pros
Team
Cons
All up the job isn't too bad. Front end gets extremely repetitive and boring, rude customers, the managers dont give you chances to work in other departments to changs things up a bit.
Pros
lunches
Cons
feels unwelcoming towards staff members, confusing introductory work online, passive aggressive managers
For a major company like Woolies, it is an insult the way they treat their employees.Store Level Managers are poorly trained and have no people skills whatsoever.A company where its not what you know or do that gets you anywhere, hard work at woolies means NOTHING, its all about who can be a part of the managers "boys club" and who sucks up to the manager the most if you want to get anywhere.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Unrealistic management expectations, poorly trained staff, certainly NOT the "fresh food people" that they claim to be
Excellent interview and screening process that made you feel special amongst a sea of applicants.Average day consists of serving customers and helping with everyday tasks that your manager needs doing, attending to needs on registers and filling registers should it get busy, maintaining a good appearance for the store and generally having initiative.Management is very helpful although they seem to forget about days you cant work sometimes, but this is easily fixed with a quick call to your manager.Employees at the service desk (Most have a leadership or higher role) seem to be a bit distracted with other employees and friends from outside of work, gets annoying when employees that need help are effectively ignored.Customers are mostly good although some customers have been having bad days with the current circumstances.Would recommend for anyone wanting a secure and rewarding job.
Pros
Understanding and companionate management, Excellent employee treatment, Lots of opportunities for promotions, Probably the most secure job outside of the military.
Cons
Distracted in-store leadership, Forgetful and annoying rostering
Fair pay. Flexible hours. You get to chat to people all day. Decent break times and shift times. Can be extremely busy and a little stressful around holidays.
Good culture that they have worked hard to change over last 5 years. With emphasis on team and customer safety, improving work/life balance and empowering of team members.
Pros
Work / life balance
Cons
Management can be on call 24/7
I was treated like a number ,my overall experience working for Woolworths was stressful to say the least. I worked so hard for advancement and was promised a contract time and time again but never received one. I was put to work in BWS which I enjoyed for a while until the lady i replaced came back early from maternity leave then all i was offered was night fill which I could not do due to family commitments so I left. I would never work for them again.
Pros
Bad management
Cons
Lived close by