Woolworths Supermarket
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Woolworths Supermarket Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 3,652 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,775 reviews

Customer Service

Woolies is decent for an entry level role into working. It offers decent pay as a casual and hours are relatively easy to come by, especially if you make yourself available often.

Pros

discount on products, free uniform

Cons

repetitive, some customers

Very Busy

Too much to do not enough people to do it. Good if you're not concerned about getting anything finished. Counter intuitive work practices very frustrating.

woolworths is still the best company

Good people. No discrimination;No judgement;No arguments;Professional and collaborative and we all work as a team.I love the atmosphere..the people and the culture...I am a return worker to WOOLWORTHS and love it

Pros

free food sometimes

Cons

some early starts after late finishes but really not a big deal

Efficient Team and Happy Environment

From the time I walk through the door, the team is always welcoming and happy.Regular customers also help make my working environment rewarding with their smiles and greetings of satisfaction.

Pros

Bonus gift cards and discounts

Cons

Can be a long day on your feet

Was a pretty good place to work for a first job

Overall, it was a pretty decent place to work for a first timer, the management wasn't too bad, the hourly wage was decent, if you're looking for your first job, woolies is a pretty good place to begin, good experience

Pros

Pay was alright, staff were friendly

Cons

heavy lifting sometimes, repetitive work

Good place to work with minimal experience

Good place to work, can make lifelong friends while there. Can learn a lot through being taught or you can do your own to learn more about the company. Although to progress it's definitely who you know and not what you know.

Pros

Pay isn't too bad for what is required

Cons

It's who you know, not what you know to progress within the company

Good money, Hard work

money is great but work is more than hard enough to make up for it, they expect you to physically lift several thousands of items anywhere between 1kg all the way to 16kg in a day, minimum 5 days a week.

Pros

great pay

Cons

physically demanding

More inclusion for Casual staff needed

Nice people to work with, but found getting current information was hard being casual I don’t always get advised about changes etc. I loved the interaction with customers.

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Casual hours hard to organise week

Good first Job

This was my first job while i was in school. I was there for just over a year. It really made me come out of my shell and communicate to people better! I honestly loved it for the first 6 months then it started to become challenging. I had never been afraid sometimes to go into work because you don't know who is going to walk through the doors. I had been verbally abused many times and a lot of the times I had to be a security guard. For myself still being a teen, it scared me a lot having to deal with people like that. My time off for end of year exams, graduation and formal were denied and I had requested the time off 3 months in advance. So that was the last straw for me. To end it off on a positive note, the workers there were so lovely! I had made regular customers that would always come in and chat to me. Time went fast when it was busy. It was an easy job to do! I did get good hours, and my pay was average but being a teen it felt like I was a millionaire. You get a 5% discount which is better than nothing.

Pros

Builds character

Cons

The abuse

A cautionary tale...

Woolworths used to be a great place to work at. Although there were difficult days and difficult customers, you could go home, relax and start all over again in the next day. However, the more our budget got cut, the more stressful it was to work here due to lack of staff.The cherry on top is the store manager. They didn't hide the fact that they are a bully and a vile person in general. Publically humiliated and belittled staff, had very unrealistic expectations of a mere skeleton crew, and shows overall poor leadership skills. Everyone is too scared to report this manager, because we know nothing will get done about it.I highly recommend working here if you enjoy being bullied and having your confidence stripped away from you. Otherwise, you're better off finding a job elsewhere.

Pros

Coworkers are fun, some customers are lovely. Pays the bills

Cons

Low morale, short staffed, having a tyrant as your higher-up

Great people, good opportunities

I've been working at woolies for just over a year now (my second job) and i cannot overstate just how good the work culture is. Everyone is so nice, management is good, and they really take the time to train you properly with minimal stress. The pay is fairly reasonable (I'm 20 and i get paid 22.60 per hr, started on $17.60 as a 19 year old) And there are plenty of opportunities to move around to different departments and learn new skills. Overall, a great experience!

Pros

Great work culture

Good team to work

Always pleasure to go for my shifts, that might be the only case for me coz the people in my store were so nice and good to me. Entirely dependent on the store manager and colleagues, so no stress at me if you getting a bad experience.

The management ruined the experience

The staff I worked with were lovely and always down to help me whenever I needed it, unfortunately the store manager was cold and had no people skills whatsoever. Also the rosters were never consistent or correct; people were always being told off for missing their shifts when they weren’t even rostered on. Very messy.

Pros

Friendly staff

Competitive backstabbing environment.

Encourages a culture of self promotion.Its not how well or how hard you work but how much of a brown nose you have.Management play favourites & there's nothing that can be done as those in the chain of command ignore staff complaints

Highly competitive and underpaid for an 'athlete'

In the interview they are basically just interested in how hard you will work to get the job done. Obviously everyone knows their a good worker.The first week is the training stage, which will likely be xmas as it's their busiest time of the year. This is far from ideal as there are FAR too many co-workers bumping elbows with you whilst their trying to achieve their HIGH kpi's.The rest of my 6mths I spent here was trying to keep my hours by hitting 100% KPI's. Unfortunately there are too many obstacles that hinder everyone and the hours go to the best pickers. It's game of picking boxes with the most finesse and cunning tactics.All the best to you if you do give it a go, but don't expect much.

Pros

Paid consistently

Cons

Underpaid, poor management, b*tchy/cliquey co-workers.

Honest work, fun people

FUN place to work, if you have an awesome department manager, like I had.Management easy to talk to, Will happily work thru problems as they arise . Department heads are constantly reminded of budgets which trickles down to staff.

Pros

Flexibility of hours

Cons

Short staffed at times due to budget cutback

Not the team environment they say

Management can be bullies, not all but some! Triple standards, high school culture. Watch who you speak too and watch your back. Don’t complain or seek too much help or you’re referred to ask trouble. Team is only if you’re two faced and become management’s favourite. So incredibly disappointed with this employer!

bad management and stressful shifts

- constantly asking me to stay back or start earlier - lack of communication from managers- treated me as a casual even when i was part time - didnt care about other commitments- very repetitive shifts, highly stressful, draining

Pros

sometimes customers are friendly

Cons

bad management, no communication

Fast pace workplace woth lots of opportunity

Fast paced and ar rimes stressful but alot of opportunities to move forward. All different people but mostly a friendly atmosphere. At times understaffed was my only main complaint.

Overworked - Underpaid

Micromanaging Toxic company cultureEmotional manipulation from management Always understaffed for work expected to be completed and the equipment never works.

Pros

Don’t have to drive anywhere else for groceries

Cons

Everything else is awful.

Stressful and poorly managed

I've seen this place crush people, each day I see at least one person having a breakdown.I hope not all stores are like mine. But I've never worked in a more toxic work environment.The way the contracts are done feels like exploitation, you aren't valued, you are hardly treated like a person.I'm sure it all comes down to who your direct manager is, but in my experience they have some extremely poor ones.Set your boundaries. Know your rights and you can probably scrape by if you have a lot of mental fortitude or dissociate constantly.

Pros

Plenty of hours if you can handle the pressure, free chocolates and lunches

Cons

No work/life balance, constantly changing roster even when contracted, low pay, bad management, bad energy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woolworths Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.6K