Woolworths Supermarket
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Woolworths Supermarket Employee Reviews in Brisbane QLD

Brisbane QLD124 reviews
Fast career progression but limited support from management. I don't mind working long hours but eventually it did impact on my health and work/life balance.
Head office are nasty. Constantly told to do X or I'll be written up, do Y or you'll be fired kind of stuff. Any problems you have, head office don't want to hear about it. Pay is horrible, especially for the level of stress the job carries with it (both physically and mentally). Constantly focussed on making things cheaper and shittier and giving more and more responsibilities to less and less underpaid staff. Spend more time at checkout than in my own section!
Management was 50/50; either great or lacklustre.

Pay isn't enough to live off of out of home if you are too young for the 'adult' pay (I'm 19 and not considered

eligible to be paid as an adult)

Staff are generally great, never have an issue.
Pros
Cool Staff
Cons
Underpaid & Undervalued
According to me Woolworths is one of best supermarket to work.Good and Friendly staff easy to contact with everyone. Nobody force to you to any extra job.Giving chance for better future.
I learnt valuable customer service and food service skills as well as special procedures to keep the workplace clean and stay up to date with hygiene standards. The roster was not always consistent and sometimes I felt that we were overworked. I felt that Woolworths is not doing enough to tackle the plastic issue and the sometimes ridiculous cosmetic food standards. Many food items are over packaged and nothing apart from cardboard is properly recycled in the store.
Management at the Carina store has inconsistencies with how she deals with staff and has a lack of professionalism. Does not provide adequate training or a trainer for new employees. Would not recommend anyone to work here.
Woolworths was a good first job as it taught me lots of customer service, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills. However, it could also be a very stressful workplace environment and I would not recommend it to anyone who does not have a lot of patience, cannot handle conflict/working with the general public, or does not deal well with stress.
A normal day at Woolworths is very fast paced, and you have to be very hands on when scanning the items and make sure that you are carefully watching as you are scanning to make sure you don't double scan anything. but it is a very enjoyable place to work at as there are very friendly staff that treat you like family.
It was a great job, if you like fast paced and stressful environment
Management needs great help, but I guess that's with every job out there these days
They have a culture of bullying that’s gone on for years and gets swept under the carpet. If someone calls in sick they figure they’re saving wages and therefore you’re on your own for the day.
They’re continually cutting wage budgets which therefore puts pressure on everyone and yet they expect the store to be perfect as if fully staffed.

The only time they seem to have extra money for wages is when upper management comes for a store visit which stores are notified about in advance, so upper management never get to see how stores actually are in the real world.
I wouldn't recommend to work for Woolworths as a career on grounds that way the staff get treated and disrepected from the company is very bad and stressful
Great place to work if you are wanting to live comfortably provided that you have regular shifts. You can skill up in the departments and even learn management skills. Customer service is a main priority at Woolworths and it is practiced very often throughout your shift.
- friendly environment
- flexible hours

-management are understanding and approachable

-very productive and can be stressful at times but it depends on how you deal with stress as a person

- team members are all friendly

- good workplace to start a career

- cares greatly for its employees
Every store, while operating under the same systems, has a very different social and professional environment. I have worked at large stores with very closed-minded management and cliquey staff, and small city stores with much more open and friendly teams who are great to work with. Some stores run super-efficiently and it's never enough to stay on top, while others are run on a more casual basis and everything is still under control.

Either way, the work itself is achievable and the employees below management are well-compensated.
Many in middle to senior management positions in state support offices are very dishonest empire builders, who fabricate their qualifications for promotions and salary increases at the detriment of honest hard working team members. Fraud, corruption and nepotism have become rife, as dishonest management employ and surround themselves with unqualified friends and family to further protect their position based on deception. There is no place for honesty and career advancement in this business unless you are a liar and a cheat, and the code of conduct which once stood as a moral basis to the business has become void. Anyone seeking an employer of choice should disregard Woolworths as an option.
Pros
Salary is often above average
Cons
Dishonesty, low morale, and unethical work practices
First it was really good team environment then restructure became a not great place to work.Everything changed contracts and your availability and if your couldn't work when they wanted Then my position was made redundant with another restructure They say work life balance but its
all for the company.
Pros
Alright first job
Cons
No advancement
Was given good benefits, however shifts were very limited for a university student at my particular store. Good people to work with, roughly of the same age. I learned skills such as customer service, and dealing with cash. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with customers and staff.

The hardest part of the job was consistent hours as they were limited and was only on call despite being a casual.

Learned a lot however, skills that I can carry through further employment
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
limited hours
Woolworths is a face pace environment. A typical shift consists of serving customers, handling money, serving smokes, working with other employees and cleaning.
Pros
nothing
Cons
rude management
enjoyable place to work to work at nice people not that hard work team friendly work mates on the job training and ableness to up skill your abilities
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Woolworths is by far the worst company I have worked for. Store managers and ASM's are beyond useless. Couldn't thing of a worse place to work. Plus the pay is pathetic for the amount of work you do.
Free overtime culture is rife. Workers are somewhat bullied into working more than their required hours, and are not paid to do so. The reliability of the job is the reason why the vast majority of employees stay.