Woolworths Supermarket

Brisbane QLD135 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 135 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,959 reviews

Under staffed and stressful

Every department in every store seem to be having the same issue with understaffing -and unreliable staff- which is very very stressful on everyone

Many different tasks to learn, good stable job and you can work with a variety of people. You can also work in nightfill, the bakery, deli and even online shopping.

Stressful and physically demanding work with no rewards or motivation

Working at woolworths isn't a very pleasant experience. You don't get paid enough for the kind of hardwork you do. They push you to work hard but There's no reward for the best workers.

Pros

Discounts on grocery

Cons

Low pay rates

Was a very fun and great place to work. Met some of the greatest people/customers that I’ll cherish forever!

I loved working for this company a lot and made many friends. They are very good with work life balance. But since they have mandated the vaccine I have left the company as I think it’s horrible that they have made us choose a job over a medical procedure. Best 7 years i spent with this company, I am very sad to leave.

Good experience work for your first job

Can be very demanding at times even if your're a student either in highschool or Uni, however it pays off with all the skills you learn. You meet a lot of new type of people, the good and the bad (this includes both customers and staff).

Pros

Supportive team

Cons

Stressful

Great for a first job with company advancement accessible. Some members of management make you question how they even got there though.

Okay workplace all around. Decent workplace if you do your job right and can get along with a different range of people.Some members of management can be iffy but most are great in my experience!Pay as a younger team member is shocking though. Collecting trolleys is a nightmare from both the collectors side and the supervision side. It gets hard to keep up some days. Especially with all the talk about cutting hours.

Good first Job

This was my first job while i was in school. I was there for just over a year. It really made me come out of my shell and communicate to people better! I honestly loved it for the first 6 months then it started to become challenging. I had never been afraid sometimes to go into work because you don't know who is going to walk through the doors. I had been verbally abused many times and a lot of the times I had to be a security guard. For myself still being a teen, it scared me a lot having to deal with people like that. My time off for end of year exams, graduation and formal were denied and I had requested the time off 3 months in advance. So that was the last straw for me. To end it off on a positive note, the workers there were so lovely! I had made regular customers that would always come in and chat to me. Time went fast when it was busy. It was an easy job to do! I did get good hours, and my pay was average but being a teen it felt like I was a millionaire. You get a 5% discount which is better than nothing.

Pros

Builds character

Cons

The abuse

Highly competitive and underpaid for an 'athlete'

In the interview they are basically just interested in how hard you will work to get the job done. Obviously everyone knows their a good worker.The first week is the training stage, which will likely be xmas as it's their busiest time of the year. This is far from ideal as there are FAR too many co-workers bumping elbows with you whilst their trying to achieve their HIGH kpi's.The rest of my 6mths I spent here was trying to keep my hours by hitting 100% KPI's. Unfortunately there are too many obstacles that hinder everyone and the hours go to the best pickers. It's game of picking boxes with the most finesse and cunning tactics.All the best to you if you do give it a go, but don't expect much.

Pros

Paid consistently

Cons

Underpaid, poor management, b*tchy/cliquey co-workers.

Stressful and poorly managed

I've seen this place crush people, each day I see at least one person having a breakdown.I hope not all stores are like mine. But I've never worked in a more toxic work environment.The way the contracts are done feels like exploitation, you aren't valued, you are hardly treated like a person.I'm sure it all comes down to who your direct manager is, but in my experience they have some extremely poor ones.Set your boundaries. Know your rights and you can probably scrape by if you have a lot of mental fortitude or dissociate constantly.

Pros

Plenty of hours if you can handle the pressure, free chocolates and lunches

Cons

No work/life balance, constantly changing roster even when contracted, low pay, bad management, bad energy

the good, the bad and ugly

great place to kick start welcoming in to work life,managers are always on a power trip same goes for ("supervisors") you will have no life out side of Woolworths, the bullying and harassments nothing gets done about it.if your get hurt and on compo you get treated like your a bad employeei could go on all day about it !

Pros

you get paid decent, good for high schooler and new to the work industry.

Cons

power hungry managers, no work home life balance

Reliable

A reliable job within a very safe industry. Constantly innovating, however with innovation comes pressure, and the pressure rises as you move up ranks within Supermarket Operations. Working balance goes out the windows in Senior Management roles

Pros

Good Salary, Career Opportunitues

Cons

Culture, Work Life Balance

Do you like getting harrassed by faded peaked in high school bullies?

Then this is the place for you. Constant turnover of managers. Constant high school level bullying of anyone who doesn't fit in (people in their 40s whispering and giggling whenever you walk by). Do your mental health a favour and avoid, with prejudice.

Pros

Decent casual rate

Cons

Everything else

Most people at store level are alright. Head office are nasty

Head office are nasty. Constantly told to do X or I'll be written up, do Y or you'll be fired kind of stuff. Any problems you have, head office don't want to hear about it. Pay is horrible, especially for the level of stress the job carries with it (both physically and mentally). Constantly focussed on making things cheaper and shittier and giving more and more responsibilities to less and less underpaid staff. Spend more time at checkout than in my own section!

Is It Worth It?

Management was 50/50; either great or lacklustre. Pay isn't enough to live off of out of home if you are too young for the 'adult' pay (I'm 19 and not considered eligible to be paid as an adult) Staff are generally great, never have an issue.

Pros

Cool Staff

Cons

Underpaid & Undervalued

Good job advancement but expect to work long hours with little support.

Fast career progression but limited support from management. I don't mind working long hours but eventually it did impact on my health and work/life balance.

Good Place to Work.

According to me Woolworths is one of best supermarket to work.Good and Friendly staff easy to contact with everyone. Nobody force to you to any extra job.Giving chance for better future.

Good first job however company is not environmentally conscious

I learnt valuable customer service and food service skills as well as special procedures to keep the workplace clean and stay up to date with hygiene standards. The roster was not always consistent and sometimes I felt that we were overworked. I felt that Woolworths is not doing enough to tackle the plastic issue and the sometimes ridiculous cosmetic food standards. Many food items are over packaged and nothing apart from cardboard is properly recycled in the store.

Carina Woolworths not a fair and equal work environment.

Management at the Carina store has inconsistencies with how she deals with staff and has a lack of professionalism. Does not provide adequate training or a trainer for new employees. Would not recommend anyone to work here.

Very fast paced environment

Woolworths was a good first job as it taught me lots of customer service, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills. However, it could also be a very stressful workplace environment and I would not recommend it to anyone who does not have a lot of patience, cannot handle conflict/working with the general public, or does not deal well with stress.

A typical day at work

A normal day at Woolworths is very fast paced, and you have to be very hands on when scanning the items and make sure that you are carefully watching as you are scanning to make sure you don't double scan anything. but it is a very enjoyable place to work at as there are very friendly staff that treat you like family.

Okay

It was a great job, if you like fast paced and stressful environment Management needs great help, but I guess that's with every job out there these days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woolworths Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Woolworths Supermarket