Woolworths Supermarket

Melbourne VIC176 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 176 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,959 reviews

Good place limited shifts

It is an Ok place to work. Being a casual worker means you do not get many shifts. The Managers are ok, they are pushy as per standard. Little to no time to speak to management or staff so you pretty much go in there, bust your hump then go home - when you have shifts.

Not bad for first job, just unlucky

It was a great first job, made lots of friends, and developed a lot of social skills with customers. Working at Woolworths helped my customer service skills and taught me about work culture and such. One thing that made it a hard place, was the management. When I say they were shocking, they were.

Pros

Good selection of food for break, discount and good team members

Cons

Long hours, very little pay, treated worse if younger than others

great satisfaction

My colleagues are very helpful, I have flexible hours, If you are seeking few hours a week or wanting to get into full time permanent long term work and career growth this is an Amazing opportunity to be part of these award winning unique and hugely popular multiple venues in perth Western Australia

Great workplace

- Friendly staff- Some flexibility in hours- Performing routine tasks whilst assisting with customer enquiries- There isn’t much opportunity for career advancement

Pros

Free food

Cons

Low opportunity of carrer advancement

Great workplace for students however management is bad.

I have been working at Woolworths for over 6 years at a few different stores. The job is great if you are a student and it’s great for learning customer service skills and interacting with others. However, management is usually full of politics and this can really effect motivation to work there. You have to say yes to all shifts otherwise you’ll be in the bad books with the managers. Management always pick their “favourites” and make it very obvious. No matter how hard you work they will never truly appreciate it. Pros: customer service skills, customer interaction and discount card.Cons: politics, horrible management at any store and favouritism.

good first job and how well the job goes all depends on management

worked there for a couple years and pretty easy job however it can get really stressful at peak and depending on the manger you have you may enjoy it or not at the start I had a great manger

Pros

- lunches

Cons

- unreliable hours as a casual - manangent can be bad

Reliable

Woolworth is the one of the best company in Australia I really love it because it makes life comfortable it provides u everyday things that we use in daily life regarding to cooking

Just an overall terrible place to work

In an 8 hr shift you will be expected to complete a workload of a 12hr shift. You will be treated like dirt by anyone with a position of power & not even acknowledged by anyone higher than an ASM (state managers are so rude). They care about results & will happily destroy your mental health in the process if it means they get what they want…but don’t worry because you get free counselling sessions every year.

Did work experience

Overall it was okay, but I constantly felt judged and for the hours I did (both time and length), I do not feel as though I got paid enough. I had borderline overnight hours and still only got paid $25 by the end of the week. Wasn’t worth it.

A highly stressful job

I would honestly only recommend starting at Woolworths if it is your first job, otherwise this job is not worth it for the amount of stress put onto you. The only positives were the people in my department and the pay.Management was the main problem at my store. I got yelled at by a manager on my first week for asking a question. Another manager kept rostering me on days I cannot work even though I have explicitly told them more than once. The other department managers as well as the store manager gave an attitude if we needed to get something that was not on shelf.It's a shame that my negative review came from my experience with the managers as the customers were lovely at my store.

Great place to start working career

Great place to work. Made lots of friends and good colleagues. Lots of hours depending on management. Easy work, not too stressful. Plenty of downtime at night when work all done.

Worse place to work

I have worked in retail for over 10 years and the last 6 months in this place have been the worse.Senior management are up themselves so hard and you are just a number.

productive workplace

Had a number of tasks to do and would often be working on several tasks at once and always ensure that everything was done. It was hectic but i thrived on the adrenaline rush of managing all my responsibilities and delivering results.

Pros

fun co workers

Cons

short hours

Fun place to work. Meeting cool people there was also a plus.

Shifts are around 8 hours. I mostly stocked shelves and worked at the kiosk when needed. Management are great and the work culture is very positive too.

Pros

Great hours and pay

Cons

Rude customers sometimes

Was a pretty good place to work for a first job

Overall, it was a pretty decent place to work for a first timer, the management wasn't too bad, the hourly wage was decent, if you're looking for your first job, woolies is a pretty good place to begin, good experience

Pros

Pay was alright, staff were friendly

Cons

heavy lifting sometimes, repetitive work

Great people, good opportunities

I've been working at woolies for just over a year now (my second job) and i cannot overstate just how good the work culture is. Everyone is so nice, management is good, and they really take the time to train you properly with minimal stress. The pay is fairly reasonable (I'm 20 and i get paid 22.60 per hr, started on $17.60 as a 19 year old) And there are plenty of opportunities to move around to different departments and learn new skills. Overall, a great experience!

Pros

Great work culture

Very good management

- Very good culture at the workplace. It's like a family culture - I had a great experience when I assisted all the customers - I've leaned how to manage my time while working in my flexible shifts - It's very fun job in nightfill

Pros

Team benefits

Secure job with plenty of opportunities

Plenty of opportunities to advance your career if you want to and not only within supermarkets many varied places in the company. E.g. petrol sites, bws liquor outlets, Big W department stores. Woolworths also own pokies venues they are one of Australia's largest pokie companies. These are just some of the companies that Woolworths own and operate they have many more I just can't remember them all.

Pros

Staff Discount and meeting many different people

Cons

Money isn't great unless your in managment or above.

Productive and enjoyable work environment

It’s easy to learn skills in Woolworths, able to get along with team members. Got help when I needed it from stuff. A very clean and tidy work place to be in.

Pros

Snacks made for all stuff to eat when on break

Cons

Not much hours

Good culture that promotes a healthy work life balance & focus on mental health.

Good culture that they have worked hard to change over last 5 years. With emphasis on team and customer safety, improving work/life balance and empowering of team members.

Pros

Work / life balance

Cons

Management can be on call 24/7

Worst place I've ever worked at

Started as a casual front end worker at Woolworths a month ago. Have had 4 shifts in that time. Got thrown on the register and forgotten about. Have to yell out or ring the bell for help and mostly get ignored. management/supervisors are rude to new casuals, not enough Training provided for new staff. Not a team environment..staff don't say hello or smile U feel like a number. Worst place I've ever worked at. They expect you to learn everything when U only get 1x3 hr shift a week. Very disappointed

Pros

Casual rates are good

Cons

Everything..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woolworths Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Woolworths Supermarket