Woolworths Supermarket

Store Manager31 reviews
Australia31 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 31 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,996 reviews

Great place to work with great people

Direct management are great to work with. Unfortunately head office and their restructure need to re evaluate when they don't know how store level runs.

Good culture that promotes a healthy work life balance & focus on mental health.

Good culture that they have worked hard to change over last 5 years. With emphasis on team and customer safety, improving work/life balance and empowering of team members.

Pros

Work / life balance

Cons

Management can be on call 24/7

It's like riding a bike, the bike is on fire, and you're on fire amd everything is on fire

Woolies was my first trip into running a supermarket and needless to say this was culturally an eye opening experience, the culture amoung my fellow store manager who were exclusively all from supermarkes was that to exclude anyone who was considered an outsider, apparently working in retail for some of the countries largest companies over 15 years was not "real retail" quite literally at state meetings they would not talk to me, fortunatley I was not alone a few of us "outsiders" stuck together to build solid working relationships. Woolies is such an old school culture of tell ad do it makes the Salem witch trials look friendly. I could not hand of heart recommend working for this company, I was so relieved the day I left here.

Na

Good salary but poor team culture. Need more support from line manager. Too much politics and favouritism. Can feel racism clearly. Really disappointed with the culture and the change company made.

Management Roles pressured and stress full but better Culture than Coles.

Store Manager roles generally well paid but workload not compatable with good worklife balance. In my experience company does not land change well due to poor planning and poor communication down the chain.

Customer service can be very demanding, but I always loved my staff.

Very hard work with long working hours. Very often no meal break at all. Good and loyal staff. Working in a tourist hub with a very varied clientele. The workplace under my personal management was a success. I had many workplace awards in regard to the stores sales figures, profitability and budget management. I took pride in my staff and treated each team member with the utmost respect. I took the lead with regard to maintenance and day to day cleaning. No "dirty" job was beneath me or passed to a team member simply because I was the boss.

Pros

Creating a great working place for my staff and keeping them safe and healthy.

Cons

Very long working days. Very hard repetitive physical work.

Productive and inclusive workplace

Woolworths is a fast-paced, inclusive fun place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for job advancement and extra training is often provided. No day is ever the same.

Bad cpmpany

Treat staff like dirt haven't had a pay increase in over 4 years, they are trying to bring in a new supermarket agreement which means that employees take a pay cut if voted yes, management are useless the company policy for bullying and harassment needs to be re looked at as staff can put in fake complaints against other staff members and the members who had complaints put in get suspended for no reason and it the investigation process goes on for months

Pros

Make great friends

Cons

Eveything else

Hard worker

Hard worker and increased business day by day show my achievements in my business development and sucess Work as a better leader and take all responsibility for my self.

No advancement without sacrifice

Woolworths Petrol has changed a lot since I was first employed. Culture, work load, peace of mind, job security, and politics has whats made the workplace uncomfortable, confronting and unfair.

Pros

A job

Cons

Long hours, on call 24/7, no thanks from management

Dynamic and challenging retail environment

One of Australia's most loved retailers with a strong people culture with the Customer always at the fore front of all decisions. Typical days is spent developing, coaching and mentoring the team to achieve Key Performance Indicators and budget. Service and customer engagement are paramount to exceed customer and company expectations.

Pros

Comradery

Great team environment

22 years working for this great company I enjoyed almost every minute , Tough challenging and rewarding , reasonable company culture however your workplace is what you make it .

Pros

Security

Cons

Worklife balance

Fun to work for

Good to work for, store is run like its your own business, fun environment, customers are great to deal with, middle management need to work more with store managers

Pros

Customers

Great place for a rewarding career!

Day to day leadership of a large team is very rewarding, a great culture and enjoyable part of the job. Planning for the future, coaching and mentoring plays an integral role, and it resonates with the company core values.

Fun Place to work , Room For Advancing Your Career

Great Staff Rewards , Many Career Opportunities, This was my first job and I Started as a Checkout Operator , changing job descriptions along the way I did General Merchandise , Bakery , Deli , Parcel PickUp Manager , Then I Took A Assistant Manager Role in Petrol Station And Worked My Way Up To Manager .

Pros

Discount Card, Great Benefits

Cons

Long Hours, Staffing Issues

Woolworths

Great people, Some good customers. Handling food, a lot. Learnt how to deal with different types of people face to face and over the phone. Having to deal with orders, pressure, thinking on the spot. I enjoy working with people in a team environment. The hardest thing is that I'm not there enough, so I'm not racing enough money to pay my rent. due to their 'budget'

Pros

Aircon

Cons

Feet get wet, can't wear jewellery. have to wear a hat..

Great Australian Retailer

A true Australian retailer.. I enjoyed my many years with the company. Great team and strong promotional opportunities were 2 of the big benefits of working there.

Amazing retail company

Amazing company that I have spent the 16 years at I have been in management since 19 years old For me it's just time for change

Great career path - goal posts move too often

Great company to work for, but uncertainty in goals, targets, objectives make it hard to align yourself with the culture and beliefs the company tries to portray. Great people on all levels of the business.

Pros

Job security, renumeration/salary

Cons

Excessive hours, expecatations around weekends etc

First job

How to work with staff in a small business environment. Opportunities to do different roles with in the store. Working in a team environment

Pros

?

Cons

Worked every week end

great place to work

Lots of daily paperwork to be done, making sure store is always neat and presentable at all times, ensuring staff are also aware of these requirements, keeping a team focussed that is driven to give customers a great customer experience, my direct mangers were always there to offer support and advice as required. the most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, we would get all different kinds of people come through and I would get a lot of joy interacting with those customers.

Pros

great atmosphere

Cons

cleaning the fill point

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woolworths Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Woolworths Supermarket
  • Store Manager
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?