WorldStrides Employee Reviews

Cool
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VA10 May 2019
I loved it ! I started a family I gave birth to twins and choose to be a stay at home Mom.Awesome place to work. My manager was very understanding helpful and motivating I loved learning from him.
Pros
Flexible and great incentives
Cons
Long evening hours
Has potential.
Account Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA3 May 2019
There are many things that they could change to make a few people happy. OR they could change just a handful of things and make most people happy. The pay is definitely not worth the work you do. And the health insurance could use a change as well.
Pros
Gym discounts, benefits, Pto, holidays, some free meals
Cons
Low pay, bad health insurance, negative environment, not enough work/life balance
good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UT8 April 2019
The environment was great everyone is very helpful. Bonuses are very helpful, pay is great. Management is willing to go out the way to help. The cafeteria food is delicious and the break area is beautiful.
Great idea for a company, but nepotism, nepotism, nepotism
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills28 January 2019
WorldStrides is a good idea for a business with a good purpose. Unfortunately, the management team in El Dorado Hills is awful. There is extreme nepotism within the managers and employees. One of the managers is the mother to one of the other managers. And the daughter manager is 29 years old and only had the job for 3 years, made a manager from the start with NO previous employment history. She makes it her sole purpose to make everyone’s lives miserable and only hires her friends for her department. Hard workers and good employees are constantly driven away.

They justify that they are a good employer by having everyone take surveys about the company, but force the employees to put top numbers on the surveys.

The only good thing about this company is the PTO, free sodas all day long, and parties with alcohol about once every other month.

There is no trust between employees and management. If you don’t like to be micromanaged and constantly bullied and watched, don’t work here.
Pros
Free sodas everyday, breakfast every Friday and free food about once a month
Cons
Nepotism with the managers, micro management, lack of maturity throughout management
Fun workplace
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL8 January 2019
I worked for this company for 14 years- that was 10 years ago. I worked in the Orlando office location as an account manager overseeing trips coming for science focus.The company sells and organizes extended day field trips for teachers and their students. I came to the jpb with a good bit of experience so I feel the training I received was adequate. We had an amazing team of managers and some of the best general managers you could ask for. The Orlando office was a fun, exciting culture. The main offices are located in Charlottesville, VA so we were pretty removed from any home office shenannigans. After a period of acquisitions of other smaller student travel companies, the home office management was a nightmare. The Orlando office managed to move through the changes, but we all noticed the micromanagement that was happening. The company was trying to grow too quick, which isn't a bad thing until you start making changes that affect the very people who brought this company along. I and about 4 others were laid off, with the explanation that all trip logistics would be handled from VA, not the local FL office- only to learn that really the office wasn't closing, they just moved some of the job duties. The marketing guy I trained who had expressed interest in being an account manager, ended up taking over all my accounts, while working from home in TN. The sales and marketing upper management of this company were feckless. All upper management became focused on nothing but being THE only student travel company out there and they didn't care who got in the way. At the time I worked  more... there, you were assigned 75-80 accounts to manage. I had over 90 accounts where it was my responsibility to work with the teacher planner at the different schools, handling all aspects of their travel and local needs and then rebooking them either before they took the current trip or ASAP upon returning from their trip. I met and exceeded my quota the entire time I worked there except in 2002, after 9/11 where my quota came in at 80% attained. If you work in sales, you are expected to make a certain amount of outgoing calls per day. This number was so ridiculous, the company contracted with a call center. Bottom line, if you work for this company as an account manager or in sales, you better bring your A++++ game. You might enjoy working there if you enjoy the aspect of assisting teachers with a wonderful learning experience for their students. Focus on just that and you will enjoy this. If you're looking for just a paycheck or may not have been as truthful on your resume with regards to sales experience, you will struggle. I endured a lot of changes with this company, which is made up of many other acquired student travel companies. I was part of the rollout and new company name process which was very fun and gave me a sense of ownership with the company. It was disappointing to be laid off over the phone and under a lie, while recovering at home from emergency surgery, especially since I was among a group of people who were very good at generating revenue. I don't know how management there is nowadays, but that for me is this company's biggest downfall. I loved the work I did and seeing the groups while on their trips. I believed in the programs this company offers and to this day I would recommend teachers to travel with them because I know this end of the business and the company will always take care of the group, no matter what. But you will be micromanaged daily.  less
Pros
great product and mission
Cons
management is a nightmare
Great opportunity
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  London6 January 2019
I absolutely loved my job at WorldStrides (Account Manager), but were made redundant as well as the whole Sales UK team, out of nowhere. Didn't see it coming and found it a bit violent but the American head office decided we were not making enough money....Sad it had to end up this way.
Pros
Good commission plan and incentives
Cons
Pretty long hours during high season
Good seasonal opportunity, especially for those with night security background
Night Chaperone (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL20 November 2018
The Night Chaperone position is managed from a central office in the Washington, DC area. It involves scheduling overnight security at local hotels to ensure the safety and discipline of student groups (mainly middle school). The job environment is generally quiet and stress-free. The primary difficulty in the work is maintaining alertness for 7-8 hours at night, which is contrary to the typical pattern of working during the daytime hours.
Fun and enjoyable place to work
On site coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA15 November 2018
This is a seasonal position that runs from March to June. It is an educational program for Middle and High School students. This job is customer service related as I deal with students, teachers and parents. Each group that you work with is different from the last group and keeps you on your toes. You use just as much common sense as work sense in this position. I enjoy knowing that the students have learned something that didn't know or experienced things that they learned in the class room.
Pros
Salary plus per diem
Cons
That it is only seasonal
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset28 September 2018
Interesting and challenging job but no feeling of job security or chance of progression.

I received next to no feedback from managers on my performance or what I could improve on.

They also sack people for fun....
N/a
Temporary Fulfillment Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA19 April 2018
The management could be a lot better. The pay is decent, but no benefits because of the temp status. The work can be heavy at times which makes you realize that the pay could be better.
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA16 April 2018
Company really cares about employees. Lots of opportunities for people to advance and move within the organization. Employees are asked their opinion annually through an opinion survey. from this feedback each department highlights the good and the bad and works on ways to improve. Regular all staff meetings where company detail is provided to all employees are very helpful.
Pros
Nice office, free sodas, great benefits
Cons
nothing major that I can think of. Building is getting full and not a lot of seats left.
Great Employer!
Travel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA3 April 2018
The work environment is fun and fast paced. There is a casual culture with work life balance. Busy season is busy, however, you will have great co-workers!
WorldSrides Review
Program Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA16 March 2018
Through a day at work I learned how to cold call customers, build a target account list, and execute sales strategies to land clients. The workplace environment was friendly and fast paced. The hardest part of the job was being rejected in a sale yet still continuing to push through to the next clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn about new places and cultures around the world.
Trabajo que te prpara muy bien de cara al público
Transferista (Former Employee) –  Madrid, Madrid8 March 2018
El trabajo era relativamente sencillo; transportar a grupos de máximo 40 personas, habiendo contactado previamente con un conductor y haciendo el check-in de todo el mundo en el hotel. Pero de vez en cuando surgía algún problema (alguien se pierde, problemas en el check-in, gente wue pierde su pasaporte...) que hay que saber resolver en el momento y con tus propios medios.
Great for competitive people who have a hard shell
EDUCATIONAL TRAVEL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Remote6 March 2018
You will get a territory of about 200 schools and have to make at least 325 calls per week. 2-4 times per year, you will be required to make 500 calls.

I sometimes feel like being remote makes it so that you are an after thought as people at headquarters get more perks.

My manager is great with trying to keep us motivated by giving his own incentives and perks.
Pros
Work from home, no micromanagement, discounts for travel
Cons
Not a lot of guidance, low pay unless you're top level, technology not that great, cold calling
productive fun place to work
Education travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London11 January 2018
Great place to work, the staff are great people to work with and the company benefits, culture is amazing .
we get taken out on team bonding days these usually include going to a restaurant and taking part in an activity somewhere in london
Pros
free lunches
At Least It's A Job
Educational Travel Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA10 January 2018
You will get your life sucked out of you. Minimum of 300 calls per week to call dead beat schools with kids who cannot afford to travel and con teachers to travel for free by hiding the cost of their trip over to the kids/parents who decide to travel. Company doesn't care about contacting schools who have put themselves on Do Not Call List or even had sought out legal action to stop contacting them. The trips are highest out of all student travel companies. It's best to cheat the system to receive your production bonus. Have friends call your extension and stay on the line to count as a call. Set up numerous Google phone numbers so you can use them to call or you call them to count as a call. Managers are prior employees from different companies with sales backgrounds but none have hardly worked the phones as a Educational Travel Associate. The company is constantly hiring because they fire as often as the sun rises. If you have lived in Charlottesville you will have worked for this sweat shop while looking for another job the entire time. They used to have free Happy Hour on the roof with beer/alcohol until one associate drank so much and got into an accident so those days are no longer since they do not want to be held liable. Only work here if you want to make more than minimum wage and not apply for welfare.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Management knows you will not be there long
The most enjoyable part of the job
International Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA14 November 2017
There is a drink room full of cold cans of beverages and an instant coffee machine as well as ice machine for associates to use. That was the best part of the job was getting to drink stuff all day unlimited amounts.

The worst part of the job was calling schools all day only to have them either not even pick up the phone, hang up on you, or transfer you to a dead end voicemail box. The occasional teacher who wants to retaliate against another teacher or simply is interested in traveling will want to travel and suddenly they make 30-40K for one tour. The effort to find that one teacher is limited by the hundreds of schools they send as "leads" and you are expected to hunt and find that one teacher without any support. Many of the schools I was assigned did not even pick up the phone and asked me not to call. The new ones I was given did the same exact thing. The stress level means constant turn over and the people you get to know one month are gone the next month. It's funny too because now there is a special room for the alternative lifestyle associates who earn a lot to sit in. Quite funny actually.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
poor training, poor management, poor leads, disorganized and back-stabbing
wonderful employees, fast paced, great product
Performing Tour Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT5 October 2017
The festivals are wonderful and seeing the impact on students lives makes the long work hours worth it. It is very hard to balance work and personal life.
WorldStrides
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA28 August 2017
Overall, the company is pretty solid- they care about their employees, and want you to succeed, although success isn't always entirely possible. Sometimes, you feel micromanaged in the workplace, but if you do what you need to, and work hard, you'll be okay.
Pros
travel perks, flexible schedule
Cons
hard goals, micromanaging, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorldStrides. Our community is ready to answer.