Xero Employee Reviews

Millenial management training ground
Customer Experience Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO27 March 2019
A place that does not walk the talk...but it's a pleasant enough environment, for about a month...
For all the hype about a progressive management culture where you can "do your best work", don't plan on making any quick internal moves if you go in on the C/X team as you're expected to serve for at LEAST 12 months handling cases that come in via Salesforce.

Management has ambitious goals to take share from Quickbooks, but the reporting and management analysis capabilities provided by the software are not strong enough to make those ambitious goals possible with their CPA (small & mid-tier & even some LARGE) firm target market.

They're pushing a product that's not quite ready for prime-time but the youngsters that are leading the US charge have their hearts in the right place, even if they're chasing an established competitor that has decades of market experience and a head-start that's going to be challenging to overcome, especially with a system that gets data INTO the system elegantly, but doesn't output the data elegantly enough to be a serious contender for professionals that need to demonstrate value-added capabilities to their clients, if they want to use this platform.
Pros
Free breakfast & lunch once a week, ping pong table
Cons
Inexperienced management, product could not deliver on lofty goals
Great Benefits
Customer Experience Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes2 August 2018
Great benefits and very much about showing that they care for making the work place a fun place to be. However I didn't believe in the product and not being able to give customers relevant advice on laws didn't sit well with my experience I hold. Not the job for me.
Pros
free soft drinks, snacks, alcohol on a Friday, retail discounts
Cons
Hidden targets, not for someone with experience
Great company culture, but with low pay and not a lot of room to grow
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO26 April 2018
This is probably the most exciting company to work for if you want to be in the accounting or financial industry. Casual work environment and lots of cool stuff. However, it's a company that is certainly having issues growing here in the United States. It seems that the company is still incredibly focused on providing direction from New Zealand, which makes things a little difficult in the U.S. Almost all of the major players in the company are from New Zealand and Australia and it seems as if the U.S. is not a priority. Even the expense reports have to get approved in New Zealand!

However, the company culture is very inviting and everyone is friendly. The average age of the employees here is probably in the late 20s, so be careful if you're out of that age range. The company is still creating and trying to define roles, which means some people may have tons to do, while others are not that busy. There were times when I was so bored I had to ask for more work to keep busy.

If you're hired in other parts of the country, chances are you will get a company Mini-Cooper to drive. This only seems fair as the pay is much lower than similar jobs in this and other industries so it's a nice perk.

Benefits are good here, including medical, dental and other health programs. Overall, I had a positive experience here.
Pros
Good office culrture
Cons
Lower than average pay
Overall good company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO23 April 2018
Overall good company, makes lots of changes rather frequently which result in a lot of organizational moves. Company is based in New Zealand so that's where all the big wigs are, including the board of directors and product team etc.
Amazing place to work
Processing (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington23 October 2017
I loved working here I wish I could have been permanently employed here. The desk and working stations were completely adjustable and customizable, It was made clear that every needed we had available to us we only need to ask or inquire to the I.T. department.
Pros
Great work environment
Fun progressive company,
Senior Account Manager (Partner Channel Sales) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA26 July 2017
Good place to work. Need some better solutions in partner channel. Great team. Good product, product will be great. Getting better. I would still recommend working here. Better than all the competition. Bis player in the tech space globally
Pros
Great team and work life balance
Cons
Encouraged to sell Empty "shell|" accounts in partner
Poor Management
Territory Account Manager - Americas (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO11 July 2017
Management is completely inept. Totally lacking in direction, leadership ability, and communication skills. The company may be successful and great outside of the US, but are destined to fail stateside.
Comfortable work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anderson, IN2 December 2016
I enjoyed working for the company I resigned due to a high risk pregnancy, they had several incentive programs and also always fun during holidays! People were easy to get along with.
Fun
Customer Experience Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CO20 September 2016
Fun overall but not as much in Denver. Management will make a break a team and unfortunately it wasn't the best. The people that work there are amazing and very dedicated to making the place successful.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
disconnected from San Francisco
Wonderful experience
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA29 June 2016
I joined the US team in 2012 as Xero was launching in the United States. It was a tremendous experiences tha provided the opportunity to interface with nearly every part of the business and to work with talented teammates across the globe.

The hardest part of the job was probably competing the in US market against some very entrenched competitors. While Xero has a great product, the accounting industry is incredibly inert - especially in the US as opposed to the company's other markets. This was the source of some friction as the US market and customer base is growing a little more slowly than some had expected. Nonetheless, progress is being made and I expect to see the company continue to grow and become a major player in the US market.
Pros
Great office, great people, chance to visit other offices around the world
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Fun environment
Recruiting Coordinator HR Team (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA31 October 2015
Good place to work, atmosphere is wonderful. They are growing fast! They are located all over the world and what they do is great.
Calls
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, KY24 July 2015
Taking calls helping with the ssa
that people get made when they dont have there money on time
management was crazy
trying to make the cunsomer happy
I have never had a place I felt more secure and well treated than here.
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver20 December 2013
I have worked for Xero since October of 2013. This is the only company I have worked for that actually does care about thier employees work/home balance and really does want to keep you for the long haul. The excellent benefits, pay, and epic culture here are second to none. A employee would be hard pressed to find another company that would be a better place to work. The management takes a driven from the top down approach to seeing to it the culture and environment instills a feeling of pride and wanting to come in everyday and really feel as though you are member of the team and a person not a drone. There is also a incredible opportunity for career growth here. I cant say enough good things about Xero.
Pros
Benefits, free snacks, sodas, etc in the break room. Benefits, pay, culture, long term career.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Having a blast changing the game in accounting
Vice President, Marketing & Product (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA20 December 2013
Working at Xero has been a life altering experience. After working at many tech companies prior and larger corporations, Xero has been the place I have been looking for. I spend my time each day working on innovative and creative solutions to help accounting professionals and small businesses. I am surrounded by the best and the brightest and work closely as part of a truly global team. Our counterparts in AUS and NZ help us to realize that we must always work and play hard. Politics and slow decision-making are almost non-existent. A lot of places talk about being fun...and it is truly a pleasure to come into work. Is it easy? No. Small businesses don't have it easy and we want to support them and help them be successful. That means that you have to truly understand, appreciate and support them day in and day out. However, you can truly see the difference that the products and our efforts make - and you are truly part of a team that brings it all together and cares. It is really a pleasure to be a part of something significant, impactful and special. It is amazing how far we have come and how much further we can and will go.
Pros
Culture, opportunity, work environment and talent
Cons
My commute to San Francisco (but that is my issue)
Fun place to work with a pool table in the office!
Customer Experience Specialist-Payroll (Current Employee) –  Denver Tech Center20 December 2013
Spend your day answering customer tickets, interacting with coworkers across the globe. Very relaxed company to work for! Feels like a small family company, even though, it is a large global company.
Pros
relaxed dresscode
Cons
Best Company I have ever worked for! Very innovative and forward thinking.
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO20 December 2013
Xero is an amazing company that is really going places! I have been here since September and love every day. We are a tight-knit family who enjoy what we do. Work is work, but the people here really make Xero a special place. Because we have such a great culture, we are empowered to go above and beyond in all tasks.

There are no excuses for not giving 100% and getting the job done.

If you are an easy going, jovial, and hard working person, this place is for you!
Pros
State of the art office, pool table, snack bar, freedom to do what is right, lots of laughter
Newer US Xero Employee
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, Co.20 December 2013
This is the first international company I've worked for. I must say, it's an absolute pleasure. Xero has their goals together, ethics agree across the company, and the people are unheard of. They have done a phenomenal job of hand selecting their employee family. Couldn't be happier - except maybe to be working for this company from NZ instead of the US!
Pros
Growing company, great people, room to move up, pay, Pto, great location/office, organized, open communication.
Cons
Nothing comes to mind at the moment.
Love it here!
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO19 December 2013
I have been at Xero as a Systems Engineer for close to four months now, and I am enjoying my time here immensely!

Everyday is different, one day I am programming in Ruby, writing Powershell scripts, the next day I am working on administering the many different systems that we have here. I have learned more Ruby here than I have on my own.

I would say that Xero is a "transparent" company. Management is really open and if you want to know something all you have to do is ask. Rod Drury (our CEO) really pushes to make Xero a company that you want to stay at for life and his saying is "This is your last job". Once you are a Xero, you are always a Xero.

They also care about your development as an employee and are willing to invest resources in training you, not only specifically for your position, but also for other paths within the company.

You are guaranteed to make a lot of friends both in the Denver office and elsewhere in the company. I have grown close with a few of the people in our New Zealand HQ as we are in constant contact with them throughout the day.

We also receive a number of perks as part of our position here. Snacks, fresh fruit, and soda are delivered Monday mornings. We also have quite a few cooks here so potlucks are full of amazing food. We also have a pool table, wellness room (good for naps), and Happy hour on Fridays.

Overall cool company to work for!
Pros
Lots!
Cons
none that I can see
Great company, amazing team, exciting opportunities
Developer (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand28 November 2013
Working at Xero has been an amazing experience. Due to the success of the company moral is extremely high translating into a really positive working environment. Management are great and have been extremely successful in ensuring a good team fit with new members.

My typical day is working in a team on exciting technical problems without being bogged down by meetings and process.

Personally I enjoy coming every day and I'm constantly learning. With the growth of the company there are some very exciting opportunities in the near future.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed culture, exciting company
Best company to work for - by far
Online training specialist (Current Employee) –  Auckland, NZ27 November 2013
Coming up to the end of my first year at Xero and I am still as passionate and enthusiastic about working here as I was in my first week. Xero is a brilliant company with strong vision, excellent culture, and great values. It's awesome to be part of it.

I've never worked anywhere so inspiring before, especially where you are valued for your contribution and what you achieve.

I love my job!
Pros
Great culture, excellent financial incentives, & room for growth
Cons
none!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xero. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5