Xero Employee Review

Love it here!
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO19 December 2013
I have been at Xero as a Systems Engineer for close to four months now, and I am enjoying my time here immensely!

Everyday is different, one day I am programming in Ruby, writing Powershell scripts, the next day I am working on administering the many different systems that we have here. I have learned more Ruby here than I have on my own.

I would say that Xero is a "transparent" company. Management is really open and if you want to know something all you have to do is ask. Rod Drury (our CEO) really pushes to make Xero a company that you want to stay at for life and his saying is "This is your last job". Once you are a Xero, you are always a Xero.

They also care about your development as an employee and are willing to invest resources in training you, not only specifically for your position, but also for other paths within the company.

You are guaranteed to make a lot of friends both in the Denver office and elsewhere in the company. I have grown close with a few of the people in our New Zealand HQ as we are in constant contact with them throughout the day.

We also receive a number of perks as part of our position here. Snacks, fresh fruit, and soda are delivered Monday mornings. We also have quite a few cooks here so potlucks are full of amazing food. We also have a pool table, wellness room (good for naps), and Happy hour on Fridays.

Overall cool company to work for!
Pros
Lots!
Cons
none that I can see

Other Xero Employee Reviews

Millenial management training ground
Customer Experience Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO27 March 2019
A place that does not walk the talk...but it's a pleasant enough environment, for about a month...
For all the hype about a progressive management culture where you can "do your best work", don't plan on making any quick internal moves if you go in on the C/X team as you're expected to serve for at LEAST 12 months handling cases that come in via Salesforce.

Management has ambitious goals to take share from Quickbooks, but the reporting and management analysis capabilities provided by the software are not strong enough to make those ambitious goals possible with their CPA (small & mid-tier & even some LARGE) firm target market.

They're pushing a product that's not quite ready for prime-time but the youngsters that are leading the US charge have their hearts in the right place, even if they're chasing an established competitor that has decades of market experience and a head-start that's going to be challenging to overcome, especially with a system that gets data INTO the system elegantly, but doesn't output the data elegantly enough to be a serious contender for professionals that need to demonstrate value-added capabilities to their clients, if they want to use this platform.
Pros
Free breakfast & lunch once a week, ping pong table
Cons
Inexperienced management, product could not deliver on lofty goals
Official response from Xero
5 June 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience working with Xero. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where employees are encouraged to take ownership of their work and grow within the company if that is their goal. We certainly see a great deal of our CX team members grow into other positions throughout the company. We are upfront in the recruitment process both in the work that CX does in supporting and delighting our customers, and that we ask for a 12 month commitment due to the level of training involved in this role. The customer and product knowledge gained in CX work is often instrumental to people's growth throughout the company. We will continue to evaluate the 12 month commitment and ensure it is adding value to our employee experience and business goals. As well, Xero's mission continues to remain focused on our commitment to accountants, bookkeepers and small businesses in providing them with the best technology available. We certainly are passionate about that. Thank you again for your review.

-Brigitte, Talent Acquisition Specialist

Great people, culture, and flexibility
US Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA10 September 2018
Great work environment which is relaxed and flexible. Great people to work with. SF office has a great view of the Bay Bridge. Some teams are more collaborative than others. Everyone gets along and coworkers quickly become friends. Fast paces at times and some low-peak times. Fun and great conferences that are put together.
Pros
people, flexibility, culture, happy hours
Cons
gap between US and global teams, RSUs in Australia, US market is often forgotten, HQ in New Zealand

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xero. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5