YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.
Pros
Training and support
Cons
Ordering new uniform takes time
The board really need to take over and get control of the business .It can really be a great place to work . The recreation part of the business are the best. The rest of the business has no idea and need to be all moved on and a fresh new team needs to take control . All the good ELT have left because they were smart .
I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.
Pros
Cons
Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care
Working there was a great place, like a family. Easy to get along with everyone and people are more than willing to help you out. Management were good but could take a while to respond to you at times, but overall very good.
It wont make a reasonalble living of 10 hrs a wk work.................,Sorry I feel the coordinators have discrimination on their lower employess.....unless you are a friend or a family
Working at YMCA opened up opportunities for me to learn basic skills such as patience, responsibility, problem solving, communication etc. By learning these skills I am able to apply them in different areas of jobs. I enjoyed going to work as there was an amazing atmosphere.
Pros
Amazing staff to work with
Cons
Volunteer work- no pay
Some policies make you feel belittled, not trusted to do the right thing, little recognition or none. Parents started leaving soon after YMCA took over so numbers dropped and staff received less hours. At interview you were made to feel there was opportunities for training or other job positions this was not evident to me after employment.
Pros
Can not think of any
I enjoyed working for YMCA there was a lot of activities to keep the children engaged especially the outings. The staff were very supportive and helpful. Training was available in areas important to children's well-being.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Hours vary according to ratios of Educators to children
Mostly good and positive feedback about my classes. Sometimes, i have difficulty with my participants who have complaints about the venue size, being to small, I do answer to the best of my ability and talk about the positives.
flexible work and supportive environment. everything is good and I love working there as I can go anytime and do my work without anyone's order or pressure.
Working at the YMCA for my second two weeks of workplace learning was very productive to me because I get to answered a few phone calls within a day and have to also keep a correct record information down and send the email. I'm not only doing administrative role I also have to look after the kids during the day to. I have to be very active because I have to be able to handle the children and always have to keep an eye on them for their safety so they doesn't get hurt.
YMCA is a brilliant place to work if you are all about a proactive attitude, you are passionate about helping others, and you continually strive to improve. Working collaboratively with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to take on board honest feedback will make you perfect for working at the Y.
The YMCA is such a great environment to be surrounded by while working and its an easy to feel comfortable workplace. Highly enjoyable experience and i would highly recommend.
Always wanting you to work extra hours for no pay. Or out of work hours for no pay to promote the YMCA. Not for profit. Not yours anyway. Staff very nasty and back stabbing. Tell lies to get you in trouble.
good place to work for. always looked forward to going to work and worked well with peers and management. duties were very varied and help stop possible boredom from doing the same routine day after day if not for the covid 19 i'd still be there
Very fast paced environment at the service. Every service is different which I found refreshing as every centre's environment is set up differently aesthetically and visually based on children's interests. Team of staff that I worked with at various YMCA services were very collaborative, engaging and creative who were very happy to share their knowledge and experience. I gained more self confidence in dealing with the administration side of things and delegating tasks to other staff and and building relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed Vacation Care as staff would share new places and activities for the children to participate in, families and children also collaborated with these ideas.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
As a casual qualified I wasn't guaranteed shifts, very competitive amongst casual staff in finding work.
Upon being lucky enough to gain some career progression as a secondment position within the organisation I was then just demoted back to previous role with no consideration of gained experience
Loved working for the YMCA in its family environment . Encouraging management, and I was always offered more training while working for them. Would love to work for them again
Pros
Encouraging environment
Cons
Not enough staff at times
I gained many valuable skills during my time at the YMCA. I built solid relationships with co-workers, and was assisted whenever necessary. I also learnt a lot of methods of dealing with challenging behaviours, and how to build a good rapport with students.
Morning shifts are easygoing and relaxed, whereas after shifts are a little more busier as the children are energised. The job includes preparing meals, setting up activities and interacting and engaging with children while maintaining a safe atmosphere.
Pros
Hanging out with children
Cons
Short hours
  1. Employee Reviews