YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Australia174 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 174 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,209 reviews

Fun and supportive workplace with opportunity to progress

Coaching gymnastics to children learning a lot about teaching and how to teach children fun and engaging gymnastics activities. Manager great and good induction.

Ymca

It was quite confronting when contractors turn up to ymca centres dressed respectfully and professional, only to find that YMCA staff are dressed sloppy with active wear on and looking very unprofessional. It’s disappointing and negative for the after school program.

Pros

Enjoyable

Cons

Short hours

Stress!

The most stressful workplace I have ever worked at. I had absolutely no training I was just shown a computer screen and told to answer the phone absolutely no structure. Management don’t care about you.

Pros

Your lunch breaks to get away from the office

Cons

Stressful

Productive and fun place to work

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

Short shifts

Terrific Employer

I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.

Pros

Training and support

Cons

Ordering new uniform takes time

ELT needs a new look

The board really need to take over and get control of the business .It can really be a great place to work . The recreation part of the business are the best. The rest of the business has no idea and need to be all moved on and a fresh new team needs to take control . All the good ELT have left because they were smart .

Ok first job.

I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.

Pros

Cons

Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care

Good place

Working there was a great place, like a family. Easy to get along with everyone and people are more than willing to help you out. Management were good but could take a while to respond to you at times, but overall very good.

Working hours of 10 hrs a wk is not reasonable

It wont make a reasonalble living of 10 hrs a wk work.................,Sorry I feel the coordinators have discrimination on their lower employess.....unless you are a friend or a family

Amazing company, keeping you proactive and responsive

Working at YMCA opened up opportunities for me to learn basic skills such as patience, responsibility, problem solving, communication etc. By learning these skills I am able to apply them in different areas of jobs. I enjoyed going to work as there was an amazing atmosphere.

Pros

Amazing staff to work with

Cons

Volunteer work- no pay

Apply somewhere else .

Some policies make you feel belittled, not trusted to do the right thing, little recognition or none. Parents started leaving soon after YMCA took over so numbers dropped and staff received less hours. At interview you were made to feel there was opportunities for training or other job positions this was not evident to me after employment.

Pros

Can not think of any

A lot of variety and collaborative work culture

I enjoyed working for YMCA there was a lot of activities to keep the children engaged especially the outings. The staff were very supportive and helpful. Training was available in areas important to children's well-being.

Pros

Fun place to work

Cons

Hours vary according to ratios of Educators to children

Diverity of activities for their clients, supportive as an employer

Mostly good and positive feedback about my classes. Sometimes, i have difficulty with my participants who have complaints about the venue size, being to small, I do answer to the best of my ability and talk about the positives.

was a fun to work

flexible work and supportive environment. everything is good and I love working there as I can go anytime and do my work without anyone's order or pressure.

Productive, fun, comfortable and safe place to work.

Working at the YMCA for my second two weeks of workplace learning was very productive to me because I get to answered a few phone calls within a day and have to also keep a correct record information down and send the email. I'm not only doing administrative role I also have to look after the kids during the day to. I have to be very active because I have to be able to handle the children and always have to keep an eye on them for their safety so they doesn't get hurt.

Love thé culture of helping people at YMCA

YMCA is a brilliant place to work if you are all about a proactive attitude, you are passionate about helping others, and you continually strive to improve. Working collaboratively with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to take on board honest feedback will make you perfect for working at the Y.

Great Community based Organisation

The YMCA is such a great environment to be surrounded by while working and its an easy to feel comfortable workplace. Highly enjoyable experience and i would highly recommend.

Nasty staff.

Always wanting you to work extra hours for no pay. Or out of work hours for no pay to promote the YMCA. Not for profit. Not yours anyway. Staff very nasty and back stabbing. Tell lies to get you in trouble.

good place to work, good support from management

good place to work for. always looked forward to going to work and worked well with peers and management. duties were very varied and help stop possible boredom from doing the same routine day after day if not for the covid 19 i'd still be there

Fast paced environment, engaging, OSHC services, BSC, ASC, VACATION CARE

Very fast paced environment at the service. Every service is different which I found refreshing as every centre's environment is set up differently aesthetically and visually based on children's interests. Team of staff that I worked with at various YMCA services were very collaborative, engaging and creative who were very happy to share their knowledge and experience. I gained more self confidence in dealing with the administration side of things and delegating tasks to other staff and and building relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed Vacation Care as staff would share new places and activities for the children to participate in, families and children also collaborated with these ideas.

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

As a casual qualified I wasn't guaranteed shifts, very competitive amongst casual staff in finding work.

Need to accomodate to employees who temporarily have career progression within the organisation

Upon being lucky enough to gain some career progression as a secondment position within the organisation I was then just demoted back to previous role with no consideration of gained experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• YMCA