YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 133 reviews matching the search See all 25,321 reviews
Treated unfairly due to medical problems
Childcare Assistant/ OSHC (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 June 2019
Due to medical issues I was treated unfairly by most of the staff. I worked myself so hard I was in hospital nightly because of it and I still got treated very unfairly
great!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC9 June 2019
I had a great time volunteering at the hawthorn YMCA.
everyone is very welcoming and the clients are friendly, I throughly enjoyed my time there and was sad when my volunteer time was up.
Fun workplace
junior camp volunteer leader (Former Employee) –  South Australia12 May 2019
YMCA promotes many oportunity for children and young teenagers, there are many fun and interstering activites and camps that are held as apart of the YMCA's work ethics.
Pros
working with young people
Cons
unexpecting incidents
An organisation that does a lot even behind the scenes
Community Coaching and First Aid Responder (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 April 2019
YMCA has a lot of opportunities for people looking for work , they do a lot in the community, a lot of not for profit work and they have a great reputation
Pros
Opportunities in many locations
Cons
Not necessarily easy to get full-time work
childcare worker
Child care educator (Former Employee) –  Holt ACT16 April 2019
Ymca was one of the best childcare centers i have worked at the staff were well taken care of and trained to expectations. was well payed
and the children's needs and supplies were always taken care of.
Awful management but lovely employees
swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Gungahlin ACT1 March 2019
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
Pro bono Work an Expectation
Learn to Swim Coordinator (Current Employee) –  YMCA NSW20 February 2019
Rewarding to work within the programs at a ground level, but is generally understaffed across the board and a significant amount of pro-bono work is often expected outside of your rostered hours to meet the operational requirements of the business.
Childcare Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT19 February 2019
Good hours, well organised. lots of options for location to work due to it being at so many schools in the ACT. Fun job with co-workers that care about what they are doing.
If u love kids this is the job for u!
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woden ACT18 February 2019
Great job for any age, I studied my cet III during this time within Childcare. There were a lot of challenges along the way but I learnt a lot and enjoyed the experience.
Fun job
Bowen Hills Gymnastics Coach (Current Employee) –  Bowen Hills QLD11 February 2019
Working at the YMCA as a gymnastics coach is extremely fun as I get to develop professional relationships with my students, co-workers and boss. Using my knowledge to better a gymnasts abilities is extremely rewarding.

It is a friendly environment with a collective aim to improve. This makes the environment both focused and excited.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lots of changes towards the end and beginning of each year
Working as a volunteer
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Belmont WA29 January 2019
Greatest place to give back to the community knowing full well what it entails. Great place to be and loved every minute of it.
I worked as an unpaid volunteer and would love the opportunity to work there for a career.
Fun and rewarding
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queanbeyan NSW21 January 2019
Before school care, after school care and vacation care with the YMCA is a rewarding, fun and interesting job suited to anyone studying full or part-time. Duties include providing a safe and positive environment for children while running creative craft activities, active games and supportting children.
Pros
Participating in holiday activities eg. Rock climbing, going to the movies etc.
My Favourite Workplace!
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boronia VIC21 January 2019
Been teaching at a YMCA Managed centre for the past 6 years. As a group fitness instructor I also teach at other gym facilities and the Y where I teach, in my opinion, is by far the best place to work. It's all inclusive and the management actually take the time to get to know their staff. My boss has a rapport with his whole team like no-one I have seen before.
It's a shame we may all not be working there anymore after a new management company is about to take over.
Pros
A happy place to work.
Cons
Have to provide my own disco lights
Fun working place
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 January 2019
During my time as a youth worker, my role involved working with students of the YMCA peer mentor support program and guiding them throughout their studies. As a mentor I was assigned multiple students to support them and help guide and motivate them with regards to their studies and their desired careers outside of high school. From this, I was able to professionally improve on my ability to build rapport with students whilst gaining hands-on experience around working with young adolescents.
swim teacher day
Teacher in charge (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 November 2018
greeting from staff
set up equipment
meet parents
meet students
use planned classes for your classes
teach the students new and exciting things
high five
Pros
free gym
Cons
cold pool
Empriring
Gym assistant (Former Employee) –  Walkerville SA18 November 2018
Get all the goals ready and make sure all the paper work are set for both teams to participate. Once the teams have signed and paid off their fees. I then proceed to empire but prior to that i tell the players the rules of the game.
Pros
fun
Cons
aggressive
Excitement
OSHC Educator (Current Employee) –  Victoria27 October 2018
YMCA is the best place to work and gave myself learning through YMCA culture and YMCA has many benefits such as gym, pools and also many other benefits.
Pros
free GYM
Very Experience working with young people
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD11 September 2018
Best summer camps in the world, global activities providing youth generations a way of growing in a very positive way. Very good experience for everyone!
strict
Customer Service Officer (Casual) (Current Employee) –  South Australia28 August 2018
Expectations on casual staff is too high for the shifts, training and hours provided. If it wasn't for my relationships with colleagues, gym members and user groups I would struggle to find the motivation to go to work.
Very organised
Trampolining coach (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 June 2018
Work is a safe, fun an enjoyable workplace, everyday I learn more and get better at my job. The management is very organized but flexible when you need it. The hardest part of the job would be completely adjusting to every students needs yet you get better at it as time goes on
Pros
flexible work, easy tasks
Cons
lots of couurses and qualifictions needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.9K