Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from YMCA:

YMCA Employee Reviews

Australia165 reviews
Working at YMCA opened up opportunities for me to learn basic skills such as patience, responsibility, problem solving, communication etc. By learning these skills I am able to apply them in different areas of jobs. I enjoyed going to work as there was an amazing atmosphere.
Pros
Amazing staff to work with
Cons
Volunteer work- no pay
It wont make a reasonalble living of 10 hrs a wk work.................,Sorry I feel the coordinators have discrimination on their lower employess.....unless you are a friend or a family
Some policies make you feel belittled, not trusted to do the right thing, little recognition or none.
Parents started leaving soon after YMCA took over so numbers dropped and staff received less hours.

At interview you were made to feel there was opportunities for training or other job positions this was not evident to me after employment.
Pros
Can not think of any
I enjoyed working for YMCA there was a lot of activities to keep the children engaged especially the outings. The staff were very supportive and helpful. Training was available in areas important to children's well-being.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Hours vary according to ratios of Educators to children
Mostly good and positive feedback about my classes.
Sometimes, i have difficulty with my participants who have complaints about the venue size, being to small,

I do answer to the best of my ability and talk about the positives.
flexible work and supportive environment. everything is good and I love working there as I can go anytime and do my work without anyone's order or pressure.
Working at the YMCA for my second two weeks of workplace learning was very productive to me because I get to answered a few phone calls within a day and have to also keep a correct record information down and send the email.

I'm not only doing administrative role I also have to look after the kids during the day to. I have to be very active because I have to be able to handle the children and always have to keep an eye on them for their safety so they doesn't get hurt.
YMCA is a brilliant place to work if you are all about a proactive attitude, you are passionate about helping others, and you continually strive to improve. Working collaboratively with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to take on board honest feedback will make you perfect for working at the Y.
The YMCA is such a great environment to be surrounded by while working and its an easy to feel comfortable workplace. Highly enjoyable experience and i would highly recommend.
Always wanting you to work extra hours for no pay. Or out of work hours for no pay to promote the YMCA. Not for profit. Not yours anyway. Staff very nasty and back stabbing. Tell lies to get you in trouble.
good place to work for. always looked forward to going to work and worked well with peers and management. duties were very varied and help stop possible boredom from doing the same routine day after day
if not for the covid 19 i'd still be there
Very fast paced environment at the service. Every service is different which I found refreshing as every centre's environment is set up differently aesthetically and visually based on children's interests.

Team of staff that I worked with at various YMCA services were very collaborative, engaging and creative who were very happy to share their knowledge and experience.

I gained more self confidence in dealing with the administration side of things and delegating tasks to other staff and and building relationships.

I thoroughly enjoyed Vacation Care as staff would share new places and activities for the children to participate in, families and children also collaborated with these ideas.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
As a casual qualified I wasn't guaranteed shifts, very competitive amongst casual staff in finding work.
Upon being lucky enough to gain some career progression as a secondment position within the organisation I was then just demoted back to previous role with no consideration of gained experience
Loved working for the YMCA in its family environment . Encouraging management, and I was always offered more training while working for them. Would love to work for them again
Pros
Encouraging environment
Cons
Not enough staff at times
I gained many valuable skills during my time at the YMCA. I built solid relationships with co-workers, and was assisted whenever necessary. I also learnt a lot of methods of dealing with challenging behaviours, and how to build a good rapport with students.
Morning shifts are easygoing and relaxed, whereas after shifts are a little more busier as the children are energised. The job includes preparing meals, setting up activities and interacting and engaging with children while maintaining a safe atmosphere.
Pros
Hanging out with children
Cons
Short hours
Poor communication
Dishonestly when told the hrs I would get I was only given 2 shifts of 2 hrs a week when I was promised 15hr.

Not very supportive of staff and family needs
I enjoyed work but management was all over the place. Getting a straight answer was difficult. Lots of power struggles.
Center director was on a mission to get rid of staff that were persevered to be loyal to other coordinators.
Great workplace for young people to get experience while studying. Opportunities to get involved with the community.
Ability to learn new departments including aquatics, health and wellness, childcare and middle management.
The overall KPI's were not realistic for the amount of time one had to achieve things. Unviable solutions were given to problems. In the end the Training Department was closed.
The were really good to work for and really helpful with what to do and how to do it. The kids were even better. I would so work here again. Would recommend working here