YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
YMCA Employee Review

Awful management but lovely employees

1 March 2019
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
7 December 2020
Same role
Swimming Instructor / kids Party (Current Employee) - Hayborough SA
Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
29 August 2020
Same roleSame location
Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) - Gungahlin ACT
I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.
Pros
Cons
Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care
21 November 2017
Same location
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) - Gungahlin ACT
Since I have worked at YMCA I have enjoy it, Educators have been helping me learn the new rules and polices as this centre is completely different to my last centre. Learnt the different way on how they run the centre, as well as the different paper work. Management has been great and understanding, Ive been able to go into the office to ask questions and they have been helpful. Hardest part of the job is still not knowing all the policies where at my last centre I knew all of them basically off by heart but I know it will just take time. Enjoyable part is Staff are great and friendly as well as being very multicultural which I love, the families have been great to get to know.
Pros
Get relationships with Educators
  1. Awful management but lovely employees