YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 30,292 reviews matching the search
Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
This is a good job for someone in high school or starting college. Summer camp is hard work, but the kids are funny. They give you a pay raise at the beginning of the school year and at the beginning of summer camp from my experience.
I had some great years working for the Y! But unfortunately within the span of 6 weeks it took an extremely negative turn which ended up being the reason why I changed jobs. My advice is watch who you trust and keep a paper trail.
The President takes a huge salary and treats the organization as a for-profit when it is not. It is so bad that the Y cannot run without transfer payments and many have closed! Meanwhile, staff have very low wages when compared to other fitness companies. Terrible working conditions, low wages, their certifications are not recognized outside of the YMCA. Use them to gain experience if it works for you but get out as soon as you can.
Our primary focus is to create an uplifting customer experience through exceptional service. We are looking for friendly and engaged people who have a passion to serve and Feed the Human Spirit. Our associates work in different departments in our stores but share a common goal of being friendly and caring to each other and our customers. From making it right to making connections, we show each other how much we truly care.As a part of our team, you could:Assist customers at checkout and bag groceries
Pros
pang
Cons
pong
There was on the job instructions to follow. This was a start point for administrative professional at this company. Meetings were informative to complete their objectives.
Pros
Open to exercisers. Thank you.
Cons
Stolen my new jacket etc.
Teaching & guiding the children as they grow is an amazing gift to be given. All the daycare teachers are quite wonderful & caring.The children are provided with all day activities for learning and growth.
Pros
Working with children.
Cons
Working with management with closed minds.
It was a good job, you don't do much as a life guard. Its only fun when you have people you can talk to. Most of the time you are walking around the pool. Management was easy and flexible.
A very positive place to work! It is a very flexible place to work. It is ideal for collage students or a stay at home parent to make some extra money and get a free gym membership.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
They want you to donate your money to them all the time.
YMCA is an amazing place to learn on the job and acquire new skills and experience ,you learn to multitask , you learn to manage yourself and work load but you must be willing and be a hard worker , I enjoyed the challenges of my role and I enjoyed my job, you get the support you need from the management. A typical day at work, as soon as you walk through the entrance door you are on the go till your work time is finished, there is always a lot to cover in the day, if you enjoy challenges and you are hard working and willing to learn and achieve ,it is the place for you.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
pay
YMCA of Greater Louisville has poor upper management and then leaks into the branches. The focus is always on the member at the costs of the employees. Employees are stretched too thin time and time again. The Y is always trying to do too much without the proper resources and staff.
Pros
Facility is not a typical work environment. Can be a fun place to work with the right staff
Cons
Over loaded, under paid, high expectations for the reality of the positions. Poor management
It's an okay place to work and benefits aren't bad. During Covid I was able to work from home which was great. They are flexible and understanding at times however the job can get very overwhelming if you are doing a direct service job.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Stressful
My boss is very easy to get along with. The organization is community focused providing events for the area. The y provides fitness for every age group.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough work
I loved working with the kids at the Snoqualmie YMCA. I made many friends out of my other counselors and the pay was also pretty good. I would definitely recommend this job - especially if someone needs a first-time job.
I worked there as a Counselor during the summer/school year. I really enjoyed working with the kids and fellow Counselors, and I ended up with a lot of great memories. Got to play a lot of really cool games, with some really cool kids. As a Counselor, I'd also take the kids swimming and to the rock wall.Middle management and the Shift Supervisors were mostly okay to work with, it just depended on which Supervisor that was assigned to your respective shift. Upper management was not pleasant to work with at all. Upper Management would try to make Counselors, perform tasks outside of their scope of duties, (volunteering you to work various camps/ after school programs at different locations.) UM also asked me to teach martial arts camp for $14/hr and then only ended up paying me $7.
Pros
Great People, Great Memories.
Cons
Management, No Benefits, Low Pay
This is a great place to work. You are given lots of autonomy and freedom to create a work schedule that fits your lifestlye. The team is very close and everyone get's along well!
Pros
The community is amazing! Great sense of partnership and working together as a team.
Cons
Low Salary Sucks - That's It!
This place is amazing I love my fellow employees. It is the most relaxed job I have ever had but I love it. The admin has been going through heavy turnover but overall it has been a great place to work.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not a lot going on
Nice place to work! Only drawback is you have to find your own sub when you want time off, even in an emergency. lt can be hard with people not returning calls/texts/emails. The subs should have to go through the calendar and pick up days instead of always relying on someone to contact them.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Having to find a sub for your shift.
The ymca has a lot of opportunities for people looking for a career in education or childhood development. We often had meetings on how to learn to ways to deal with children and their behaviors. It can be exhausting but working for the preschool was very rewarding as you helped shape growing minds. A lot of assistant teachers were college kids so you relate to one another a lot. There’s times where it’s frustrating and stressful. You have a consistent schedule that doesn’t change once it’s set so you have to plan other things around that. Overall an okay experience.
Pros
Hour lunch, Kids, gifts from parents
Cons
Lots of meetings, breaking up fights between kids
I believe the Y is a great fun and fair place to work. The employees and upper management share a strong sense of community, self respect, integrity and love/passion for the job.
Pros
Stong core life values, which shows in eveything they do with and for the community.
Cons
Pay.
I would really encourage you to find work elsewhere and let the teenagers and college students work here. Very little almost no opportunity for growth, You’ll never make more than minimum wage.
Pros
Discounted or free membership
Cons
Horrible management unfair treatment no lunch breaks overworked Low wages And very unorganized
  1. Employee Reviews