YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.
Pros
Cons
Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care
Poor communication Dishonestly when told the hrs I would get I was only given 2 shifts of 2 hrs a week when I was promised 15hr. Not very supportive of staff and family needs
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
I enjoyed 99% of my shifts with the YMCA. The staff were amazing, and the work was always enjoyable. Management was very understanding and easy to get along with and work beside. Co-workers were always friendly and happy, making the job easy and enjoyable. Every day presented a new and enjoyable challenge. Even on hard days, the shifts seemed easy to complete. I worked hard and was able to see the results of my labour, and was always commended by management. Something that was rare in my previous workforce. But commendations were given across the board when needed, not just to me. I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Weather
clean early mornings 4.30am start, lifeguard during day sometimes although mostly on the weekends and learn to swim every afternoon amd saturday morning.
Pros
everyone in the ymca were close friends, always a happy place, gym and pools handy, made lots of little friends through teaching kids how to swim
Organising School groups into their level of skills. Carrying out Lesson Plans adjusted to their abilities. Ending with fun activities, then preparing for next lesson.
Pros
Fun Days, and free entry into pool
Cons
Often got a cold