YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Culture reviews

Clear
Work–Life Balance

Found 55 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,303 reviews

Productive and fun place to work

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

Short shifts

Terrific Employer

I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.

Pros

Training and support

Cons

Ordering new uniform takes time

Good place

Working there was a great place, like a family. Easy to get along with everyone and people are more than willing to help you out. Management were good but could take a while to respond to you at times, but overall very good.

Love thé culture of helping people at YMCA

YMCA is a brilliant place to work if you are all about a proactive attitude, you are passionate about helping others, and you continually strive to improve. Working collaboratively with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to take on board honest feedback will make you perfect for working at the Y.

Fast paced environment, engaging, OSHC services, BSC, ASC, VACATION CARE

Very fast paced environment at the service. Every service is different which I found refreshing as every centre's environment is set up differently aesthetically and visually based on children's interests. Team of staff that I worked with at various YMCA services were very collaborative, engaging and creative who were very happy to share their knowledge and experience. I gained more self confidence in dealing with the administration side of things and delegating tasks to other staff and and building relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed Vacation Care as staff would share new places and activities for the children to participate in, families and children also collaborated with these ideas.

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

As a casual qualified I wasn't guaranteed shifts, very competitive amongst casual staff in finding work.

Ymca

Loved working for the YMCA in its family environment . Encouraging management, and I was always offered more training while working for them. Would love to work for them again

Pros

Encouraging environment

Cons

Not enough staff at times

Being set up for failure

The overall KPI's were not realistic for the amount of time one had to achieve things. Unviable solutions were given to problems. In the end the Training Department was closed.

fun and energetic

fun and energetic busy place to work in.Free gym membership which means a chance to get fit in the gym and go for a swim if you would like to.Meet new friends.

Fun working at the Y

I've been employed at the Y for over a year now and I'm pleased to be working for a great company. The team culture is terrific. As always, there will be difficult days with student behaviour but the training and support is exceptional. I highly recommended the Y as an employer.

Good

The YMCA was a great place to be when I started my first day. I had to do so much awesome meet new friends. And I'm so happy around in a fitness environment at the YMCA. The place makes me happy good staff good food.

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

Working as a volunteer

Greatest place to give back to the community knowing full well what it entails. Great place to be and loved every minute of it. I worked as an unpaid volunteer and would love the opportunity to work there for a career.

My Favourite Workplace!

Been teaching at a YMCA Managed centre for the past 6 years. As a group fitness instructor I also teach at other gym facilities and the Y where I teach, in my opinion, is by far the best place to work. It's all inclusive and the management actually take the time to get to know their staff. My boss has a rapport with his whole team like no-one I have seen before. It's a shame we may all not be working there anymore after a new management company is about to take over.

Pros

A happy place to work.

Cons

Have to provide my own disco lights

Excitement

YMCA is the best place to work and gave myself learning through YMCA culture and YMCA has many benefits such as gym, pools and also many other benefits.

Pros

free GYM

strict

Expectations on casual staff is too high for the shifts, training and hours provided. If it wasn't for my relationships with colleagues, gym members and user groups I would struggle to find the motivation to go to work.

OSHC Educator

Good teamwork, entertaining children - no day was ever the same. However, lack of support from higher up and lack of understanding of duties of ground-level workers

Good Place

very nice place to work a and be around, very friendly staff that treated me well and loved my time there as an Employee. Would highly recommend this job

fun and friendly place to work

The YMCA is a great place to work, it has a great work enviroment and everyone is super friendly. the hours are good and the pay is great. they offer a great training program and are very good at what they do

Ymca

Great manager who was open to suggestions and willing to listen. Made a lot of progress with such an open mind. A wonderful team to work with along with interesting clientele.

Fantastic learning

Training and self development always supported when needed. Training provided immediately. Allowed you to work autonomously, but still being part of a team.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Long drive to work

Great place

Since I have worked at YMCA I have enjoy it, Educators have been helping me learn the new rules and polices as this centre is completely different to my last centre. Learnt the different way on how they run the centre, as well as the different paper work. Management has been great and understanding, Ive been able to go into the office to ask questions and they have been helpful. Hardest part of the job is still not knowing all the policies where at my last centre I knew all of them basically off by heart but I know it will just take time. Enjoyable part is Staff are great and friendly as well as being very multicultural which I love, the families have been great to get to know.

Pros

Get relationships with Educators

Basket case

The company no longer lives by its values. The CEO and board members have destroyed the company from the top down. Very poor remuneration for high expectations and a use and abuse culture.

Pros

Helping the community

Cons

Long hours poor pay