YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Culture reviews

Australia171 reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance

Found 55 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,441 reviews

Productive and fun place to work

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

Short shifts

Leading Community Services entity

YMCA of the Northern Territory is an exciting place to work with fantastic staff and a strong reach into the community. I rate this role as one of the most exciting roles I've held.

Pros

Great organisational culture

Cons

Short-term contract based in the NT

Poor working conditions. Antiquated systems.

At the time I worked at the YMCA of SA employees were subject to a fear culture which was instigated by the head of the organisation at the time. There was little to no appreciation given to those employees that put in the extra effort. I must stress that this was back in 2013 and I trust that there has been a change in the organisation's culture.

Netball umpire

Netball Umpire, enjoyable and fun. Friendly and helpful staff. Sometimes it was hard with people abusing the umpires however this only occurs when people dont understand the rules.

Rewarding

An organisation doing incredible work in the community. A career where you will see the impact of your hard work and dedication. Great operational staff culture.

Positive environment with good people

YMCA Katherine was such a great place to have worked at. The other staff members were very outgoing and easy to get along with. The typical day of working for YMCA consisted of organising and planning recreational activities for the community especially for the indigenous youth. I learnt how to adapt to the different people in both the community and work.

Pros

Travelling, Meeting new people, Sports, BBQs

Cons

Long hours, Rude manager

Rewarding

Great place to show people health benefits Learnt to help people achieve their fitness goals. Friendly atmosphere Enjoyable part was to talk to people.

Pros

Motivating atmosphere

wonderful place to work

wonderful place to work, you learn lots of new and amazing skills, you work with a lot of amazing people, the manager is an amazing person to work for

The YMCA is a great place to work if your interested in children's programs, working with those less fortunate and those elderly members of the commu

Great place to work if you want to truly connect with the local community and make a difference in people's lives. The y is a great place to work in a team environment.

Pros

Discounts for staff in the YMCA fitness centres

Cons

A lot of training time away from home. A lot of out of hours community days.

fun and friendly environment

always meeting new people in a friendly environment,management was fairly well organized, but overall a great place to work.

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

Fun caring environment

Really enjoyed it lovely people and the work space is great the kids there are nice and all the workers are there to help anyone in need. Caring people all around

Fun workplace

People are happy to work here. Fun environment, friendly management make it easier and enjoyable to work here. The only pons might be the payment rates which are comperatable low but not too bad.

Pros

Easy going work culture

Cons

Comparable low hourly rates

Great for the whole family

A place where you learn a sport at your own pace, have fun and meet knew people, great for young families, great holiday programs, two basketball courts and gym with a wide array of equipment

Pros

Friendly staff always willing to help

Cons

Prices can be steep

fun place to work

fun place, great management, wonderful co workers, happy fun caring members, staff. Hardest part of the job is leaving on time.

Happy times

I loved working for YMCA. A typical day in my field of work was to say hello to the receptionist, grab all the first aid gear, head out to the park, set up, radio in to reception and enjoy the weather and the people using the park. I learnt how to connect with all different types of people whether they're minors or older. Management was carried out well and productively. My co-workers were always really nice. There were no hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is too hard to say, the whole job was too good to be true!

Enjoyable workplace and excellent staff

I enjoyed 99% of my shifts with the YMCA. The staff were amazing, and the work was always enjoyable. Management was very understanding and easy to get along with and work beside. Co-workers were always friendly and happy, making the job easy and enjoyable. Every day presented a new and enjoyable challenge. Even on hard days, the shifts seemed easy to complete. I worked hard and was able to see the results of my labour, and was always commended by management. Something that was rare in my previous workforce. But commendations were given across the board when needed, not just to me. I really enjoyed working there.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Weather

stadium co-ordinater trainee

the most enjoyable part in my job was being able to work with amazing people and learning new things and working with nice lovely people . hardest part was understanding the different departments that the ymca had. i learnt how to deal with the different cultures. management was easy to work with, they were fun , listened well to their employees a typical day at work was come in and catch the days schedule, sweep the courts, clean the toilets, set courts up for the schools, do the player qual , sweep courts , set up for basketball.

Pros

long lunch breaks

Cons

long hours, travels

Productive workplace trying to get there name out there again.

Friendly staff and treat everyone equally which is great to see, could tell they cared about every client that walked in the door not just there money which was also great to see. Care is a big part in my world of fitness if there is no care involved your not doing it right.

fun

a welcoming place with loads of support. Great people. Always willing to give someone a go. nonjudgmental environment. Understanding workplace.

Pros

awesome people

Cons

sore feet

Lovely work colleagues

Very friendly environment. I would recommend people work at KFAC YMCA to gain experience and to meet new people. A great all rounder job and also provide opportunities to go further into the Fitness and health business

Pros

great environment

Cons

n/a

Fun

Fun work Place. Lots of activities for young and old. Get to meet many people from different places and different ages. Great first job for someone still attending school.
  • YMCA