YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Culture reviews

Australia171 reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance

Found 55 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,441 reviews

Productive and fun place to work

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

Short shifts

Amazing Experience

Worked with Martu Aboriginal Youth who where secondary homeless and often neglected and malnourished. Created program's and activities for after school hours for ages 10-19 which included sport, art, health programs and cultural activities. Woke, drove and fed twelve high school youth to school every day along with lunches and provided shoes/socks etc. As part of there cultural studies we engaged in hunting trips and bush camping, sometimes for days. Engaged the youth of Newman in sports such as football, softball, soccer and also arts including music making and community painting. Most amazing two years involved with the YMCA and very appreciative of the experience. Now back from Australia hoping to work with youth, the community and also possibly returning to dental practices as well as admin and reception duties. Nicola Durkan

Pros

Amazing experiencing aboriginal culture

Cons

Homesick for Ireland

Being around fit inspirational people

fun that people smile when they are improving Good management Friendly Fun and willing to help There is no hard parts to this job Going to work

Pros

Being aroun fit healthy people

Cons

Getting out of the water on cold days

Productive Workplace

I love working with the other educators all friendly and create a positive team environment. The children are very clever which makes working with them challenging as I am not use to working with 7-12 year olds but still very rewarding.

Cleaner at Ballarat Aquatic & Lifestyle Centre

I worked at the YMCA for about 2 to 3 years, enjoyed working met nice people and new friends along the way, good pay and good hours etc

Postitively fun place and atmosphere

The hardest part of my job is trying not to enjoy myself and have as much fun as I do. I meet, greet and converse with a varied range of people. I've learnt over time to listen to all, act accordingly but never lose any sense of humour. My most enjoyable part of my job is being part of the journey of our members success in attaining their health and fitness goals.

Pros

Being affected in a positive manner with all with whom I come in contact with

Cons

Being happy all the time

FUn and enjoyable workplace

I enjoyed working with YMCA Splash. Every day was different and my co-workers were extremely friendly and always up for a laugh.

Pros

Healthy salary

Cons

Inconsistent work

PT, Health Club Instructor, CSO

Fun and energetic atmosphere Health assessments and program writing Worked with some amazing people

Ymca

i enjoyed working with the kids, they were wonderful. The supervisor that I worked for was amazing, they were understanding and very helpful

Great team to work with.

YMCA has been a great company to work for with part time hour flexibility. Unfortunately due to restructure, my position is being made redundant. With various YMCA accounts across states, I have had the opportunity of processing payrolls from various software packages and learning various awards. I have enjoyed working with staff and managers from these centres and I have formed ongoing friendships. The hardest part of the job will be leaving such a great supportive team.

Pros

Working school hours

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

Able to use Gym & Pool & other exercises

the hardest part of the job is crying babies the most enjoyable part of the job is when I'm able to help them feel comfortable to stop crying .My co-workers are all lovely and most helpful

Pros

enjoy working

Cons

Hours to short

Fun and exciting organistaion to be part of with an inspirational

A typical day at work would be say hello to the team and see how everyone else is going and see what has happened before I came in. Check emails, sort through paperwork and comile a list of immediate jobs that need attending to. Set goals for the day. At the end of the day go through the list and evaluate what I have achieved. Working at the YMCA I learned the importance of team work. Working together as a team not only makes the job more enjoyable, but also creates a more efficient work environment enabling the team team to achieve the best outcome for the business. Manangement at the Y is very supportive to all employees at all levels. All managers have an open door policy and are all very approachable. They are always available to help out and provide direction and support. People choose to work at the Y because they are passionate about the companies values and the culture it presents. It is not the place to work if you want to 'get rich quick'. Working with people who love what they do creates a vibrant, proactive environment which rubs off onto the the customers who also come along to experience the fun energetic environment. The Hardest part of the job was probably the multi tasking required. Working in accounting, I was also required to perform the role of Duty Manager on occassions. This may have involved on certain days juggling between processing payroll, serving customers, covering lifeguards breaks and performing month end. Challenging, but also rewarding. The variety keeps the head clear and certainly makes the day go fast! The culture and team -

Pros

Team Culture

Cons

Multiple roles at the same time

productive and fun work environment

I have learned how to manage the room while I was working for YMCA company. It was also combined with the gym so I could get the benefit out of it as a staff member.

Working Overseas YMCA

Great opportunity to learn more about another culture.Organize young people to enjoy themselves in a safe manner is a worthwhile goal. Life guard work was rewarding as well as the concentration required was tiring.

Pros

enjoyed working in the leisure industry

Cons

early mornings late night..full on commitment

Friendly, Helpful, Good Values

A great company to work for.Loved the people & children who frequented the service.Supportive Management & staff.

Pros

staff discounts

Cons

split shifts