YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
Work–Life Balance
Job Security & Advancement

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,303 reviews

Amazing company, keeping you proactive and responsive

Working at YMCA opened up opportunities for me to learn basic skills such as patience, responsibility, problem solving, communication etc. By learning these skills I am able to apply them in different areas of jobs. I enjoyed going to work as there was an amazing atmosphere.

Pros

Amazing staff to work with

Cons

Volunteer work- no pay

Apply somewhere else .

Some policies make you feel belittled, not trusted to do the right thing, little recognition or none. Parents started leaving soon after YMCA took over so numbers dropped and staff received less hours. At interview you were made to feel there was opportunities for training or other job positions this was not evident to me after employment.

Pros

Can not think of any

Diverity of activities for their clients, supportive as an employer

Mostly good and positive feedback about my classes. Sometimes, i have difficulty with my participants who have complaints about the venue size, being to small, I do answer to the best of my ability and talk about the positives.

Great Community based Organisation

The YMCA is such a great environment to be surrounded by while working and its an easy to feel comfortable workplace. Highly enjoyable experience and i would highly recommend.

Need to accomodate to employees who temporarily have career progression within the organisation

Upon being lucky enough to gain some career progression as a secondment position within the organisation I was then just demoted back to previous role with no consideration of gained experience

Great workplace

I gained many valuable skills during my time at the YMCA. I built solid relationships with co-workers, and was assisted whenever necessary. I also learnt a lot of methods of dealing with challenging behaviours, and how to build a good rapport with students.

Relaxed and Welcoming

Great workplace for young people to get experience while studying. Opportunities to get involved with the community. Ability to learn new departments including aquatics, health and wellness, childcare and middle management.

Fun working at the Y

I've been employed at the Y for over a year now and I'm pleased to be working for a great company. The team culture is terrific. As always, there will be difficult days with student behaviour but the training and support is exceptional. I highly recommended the Y as an employer.

Fun workplace

Friendly managers and employees. Multicultural workplace. Good benefits. Good place to learn new skills. Like to help staff members. No opportunity for career growth

An organisation that does a lot even behind the scenes

YMCA has a lot of opportunities for people looking for work , they do a lot in the community, a lot of not for profit work and they have a great reputation

Pros

Opportunities in many locations

Cons

Not necessarily easy to get full-time work

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

If u love kids this is the job for u!

Great job for any age, I studied my cet III during this time within Childcare. There were a lot of challenges along the way but I learnt a lot and enjoyed the experience.

Working as a volunteer

Greatest place to give back to the community knowing full well what it entails. Great place to be and loved every minute of it. I worked as an unpaid volunteer and would love the opportunity to work there for a career.

Fun working place

During my time as a youth worker, my role involved working with students of the YMCA peer mentor support program and guiding them throughout their studies. As a mentor I was assigned multiple students to support them and help guide and motivate them with regards to their studies and their desired careers outside of high school. From this, I was able to professionally improve on my ability to build rapport with students whilst gaining hands-on experience around working with young adolescents.

Be careful

I had the opportunity to work with some great people during my time with the Y. Unfortunately, fundamental misunderstandings between my hiring supervisor and I led me to leave this job rather quickly. Both verbally and in writing, I was told what I would be earning to personal train and coach/monitor gym members in Columbus corporate locations. Yet, after working for several weeks and reviewing my first paycheck, I noticed I was earning significantly less per hour. My supervisor did not correct this, but instead, informed me the Y was unable to pay what was agreed upon during the hiring process. What a bummer!

Excitement

YMCA is the best place to work and gave myself learning through YMCA culture and YMCA has many benefits such as gym, pools and also many other benefits.

Pros

free GYM

Very Experience working with young people

Best summer camps in the world, global activities providing youth generations a way of growing in a very positive way. Very good experience for everyone!

Fun place to work

Fun place to work but not a career by any means. More conflict to deal with compared to other hostels and hotels due to the overall rundown facilities.

Good place to volunteer

The ymca is a great place to volunteer, the environment and other people are wonderful. there is also the potential to progress into a paid position. I would highly reccommend.

Productive workpace

It was a brilliant place to work it was just a very dramatic environment, i was put in a room where i wasn't comfortable in (coworker didn't like me and made it known) wasn't allowed to change rooms. The Centre offered a lot of good resources and the times were great.

Was a great stepping stone

I believe the YMCA helped me to gain experience working with children and writing programs for management. I also gained experience in running a school wide gymnastics program.

Pros

Experience working with kids

Cons

A very young staff crew that is very cohesive.

A company that is very flexible with working hours, able to change and adapt based on your current timetable. A very young staff pool with lots of energy and relevant humour to boost the overall groups moral.