YMCA Management reviews

Found 35 reviews matching the search See all 24,896 reviews
Awful management but lovely employees
swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Gungahlin ACT1 March 2019
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
Very organised
Trampolining coach (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 June 2018
Work is a safe, fun an enjoyable workplace, everyday I learn more and get better at my job. The management is very organized but flexible when you need it. The hardest part of the job would be completely adjusting to every students needs yet you get better at it as time goes on
Pros
flexible work, easy tasks
Cons
lots of couurses and qualifictions needed
OSHC Educator
OSHC Educator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 June 2018
Good teamwork, entertaining children - no day was ever the same. However, lack of support from higher up and lack of understanding of duties of ground-level workers
challenging
CAFÉ MANAGER, CRECHE WORKER OSHC SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Byford WA4 March 2018
I enjoy working with the children as there is something different everyday. The management and staff are easy to get on with . I have a good rapport with the children and parents
Pros
the children
Cons
ammount of paperwork
Worst place I've worked
Vacation Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Palmerston NT27 January 2018
The most disorganised company I have ever worked in.

Without going into too much detail; typical day at work consisted of all staff having no idea what they were supposed to be doing at any given time which constantly resulted in children being bored and restless.
Management was an absolute joke, my colleagues and I were unknowingly having our pay docked for breaks that we were not given. I was being taxed 25% per pay when I only signed an agreement of 10% tax to be deducted.

The only enjoyable part of the job was working with the wonderful children.
Was a great stepping stone
OSHC Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arncliffe NSW26 November 2017
I believe the YMCA helped me to gain experience working with children and writing programs for management. I also gained experience in running a school wide gymnastics program.
Pros
Experience working with kids
Great place
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Gungahlin ACT21 November 2017
Since I have worked at YMCA I have enjoy it, Educators have been helping me learn the new rules and polices as this centre is completely different to my last centre. Learnt the different way on how they run the centre, as well as the different paper work. Management has been great and understanding, Ive been able to go into the office to ask questions and they have been helpful. Hardest part of the job is still not knowing all the policies where at my last centre I knew all of them basically off by heart but I know it will just take time. Enjoyable part is Staff are great and friendly as well as being very multicultural which I love, the families have been great to get to know.
Pros
Get relationships with Educators
Basket case
Operations manager -Hunter region (Former Employee) –  Hunter Valley NSW21 November 2017
The company no longer lives by its values. The CEO and board members have destroyed the company from the top down. Very poor remuneration for high expectations and a use and abuse culture.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
Long hours poor pay
hard job but extremely fun and different
Maintenance Assistant, Land scaping (Former Employee) –  mt Evelyn14 November 2017
since i was laboring it was difficult but really enjoyable since the people are so nice, i learned how to take care of a work environment and how to work with other people, the management there is excellent and very professional, its such a different environment and exciting as its not like an office job, it was hard work physically but rally fun overall.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hard work
Poor working conditions. Antiquated systems.
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 October 2017
At the time I worked at the YMCA of SA employees were subject to a fear culture which was instigated by the head of the organisation at the time. There was little to no appreciation given to those employees that put in the extra effort. I must stress that this was back in 2013 and I trust that there has been a change in the organisation's culture.
typical day of work
Casual Educator (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill NSW11 October 2017
Worked with 5-12 year olds providing meals and activities.
Provided care and support for those students who needed it. however there was no management support
Great
Set Up (Current Employee) –  Berwick VIC27 July 2017
Never had an issue with YMCA. Simple and great management and environment. I would gladly work for YMCA again just as long as I can find more working hours in towards the city (Melbourne).
Pros
Easy
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and Enjoyable workplace
Child Care Educator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 June 2017
I enjoy working at the YMCA as a part time job while complete my studies. I enjoyed creating a fun and safe place for children to grow and learn. I have worked on my time management skills and responsibility for looking after large amounts of children.
Fun workplace
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Falcon, Mandurah.WA 621025 March 2017
Working with Children to educate them on daily routines are consistent and constant. Time management is a key role to keeping the young ones happy whilst still enjoying a well planned day.
Pros
Worked 5hrs daily spent the rest of the afternoon helping and educating my own children.
Cons
Low earning income
Patrons make your day
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Kew VIC22 February 2017
Even a short shift for eg: 3 hours can seem longer. Management was confusing and communication was not good. The different sectors ie: gym, frontline, management etc were seperated communication wise.Communication and lack of recognition, good or bad was never in place. The patrons and fellow life guards were the most enjoyable part of the job and taking care of patrons needs and the team environment between life guards only.
Pros
Patrons and job satisfaction
Cons
The heated pool environment and the emotional toll from management
fun and friendly environment
Referee (Former Employee) –  Guildford West NSW22 February 2017
always meeting new people in a friendly environment,management was fairly well organized, but overall a great place to work.
Ok
Childcare worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC3 January 2017
Bad Director. Bullying and liar. Races and sneaky. Pushy and needy. Part from that, staffs are nice and parents are nice too. Good resources and nice environment
Fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 November 2016
People are happy to work here.
Fun environment, friendly management make it easier and enjoyable to work here. The only pons might be the payment rates which are comperatable low but not too bad.
Pros
Easy going work culture
Cons
Comparable low hourly rates
fun place to work
YMCA Epping Customer Service officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 September 2016
fun place, great management, wonderful co workers, happy fun caring members, staff. Hardest part of the job is leaving on time.
Happy times
Park Supervisor, Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cowes VIC12 September 2016
I loved working for YMCA. A typical day in my field of work was to say hello to the receptionist, grab all the first aid gear, head out to the park, set up, radio in to reception and enjoy the weather and the people using the park. I learnt how to connect with all different types of people whether they're minors or older. Management was carried out well and productively. My co-workers were always really nice. There were no hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is too hard to say, the whole job was too good to be true!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.7K