YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Management reviews

I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.
Pros
Training and support
Cons
Ordering new uniform takes time
I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.
Pros
Cons
Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care
Working there was a great place, like a family. Easy to get along with everyone and people are more than willing to help you out. Management were good but could take a while to respond to you at times, but overall very good.
Always wanting you to work extra hours for no pay. Or out of work hours for no pay to promote the YMCA. Not for profit. Not yours anyway. Staff very nasty and back stabbing. Tell lies to get you in trouble.
good place to work for. always looked forward to going to work and worked well with peers and management. duties were very varied and help stop possible boredom from doing the same routine day after day if not for the covid 19 i'd still be there
Loved working for the YMCA in its family environment . Encouraging management, and I was always offered more training while working for them. Would love to work for them again
Pros
Encouraging environment
Cons
Not enough staff at times
I enjoyed work but management was all over the place. Getting a straight answer was difficult. Lots of power struggles. Center director was on a mission to get rid of staff that were persevered to be loyal to other coordinators.
Great workplace for young people to get experience while studying. Opportunities to get involved with the community. Ability to learn new departments including aquatics, health and wellness, childcare and middle management.
Bad experience working for YMCA a lot of poor care practices, Director doing nothing about staff using mobile phones in rooms, younger girls inexperienced and having no idea how to engage with children.
Due to medical issues I was treated unfairly by most of the staff. I worked myself so hard I was in hospital nightly because of it and I still got treated very unfairly
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
Rewarding to work within the programs at a ground level, but is generally understaffed across the board and a significant amount of pro-bono work is often expected outside of your rostered hours to meet the operational requirements of the business.
Been teaching at a YMCA Managed centre for the past 6 years. As a group fitness instructor I also teach at other gym facilities and the Y where I teach, in my opinion, is by far the best place to work. It's all inclusive and the management actually take the time to get to know their staff. My boss has a rapport with his whole team like no-one I have seen before. It's a shame we may all not be working there anymore after a new management company is about to take over.
Pros
A happy place to work.
Cons
Have to provide my own disco lights
Work is a safe, fun an enjoyable workplace, everyday I learn more and get better at my job. The management is very organized but flexible when you need it. The hardest part of the job would be completely adjusting to every students needs yet you get better at it as time goes on
Pros
flexible work, easy tasks
Cons
lots of couurses and qualifictions needed
Good teamwork, entertaining children - no day was ever the same. However, lack of support from higher up and lack of understanding of duties of ground-level workers
I enjoy working with the children as there is something different everyday. The management and staff are easy to get on with . I have a good rapport with the children and parents
Pros
the children
Cons
ammount of paperwork
The most disorganised company I have ever worked in. Without going into too much detail; typical day at work consisted of all staff having no idea what they were supposed to be doing at any given time which constantly resulted in children being bored and restless. Management was an absolute joke, my colleagues and I were unknowingly having our pay docked for breaks that we were not given. I was being taxed 25% per pay when I only signed an agreement of 10% tax to be deducted. The only enjoyable part of the job was working with the wonderful children.
I believe the YMCA helped me to gain experience working with children and writing programs for management. I also gained experience in running a school wide gymnastics program.
Pros
Experience working with kids
Cons
Since I have worked at YMCA I have enjoy it, Educators have been helping me learn the new rules and polices as this centre is completely different to my last centre. Learnt the different way on how they run the centre, as well as the different paper work. Management has been great and understanding, Ive been able to go into the office to ask questions and they have been helpful. Hardest part of the job is still not knowing all the policies where at my last centre I knew all of them basically off by heart but I know it will just take time. Enjoyable part is Staff are great and friendly as well as being very multicultural which I love, the families have been great to get to know.
Pros
Get relationships with Educators
The company no longer lives by its values. The CEO and board members have destroyed the company from the top down. Very poor remuneration for high expectations and a use and abuse culture.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
Long hours poor pay
since i was laboring it was difficult but really enjoyable since the people are so nice, i learned how to take care of a work environment and how to work with other people, the management there is excellent and very professional, its such a different environment and exciting as its not like an office job, it was hard work physically but rally fun overall.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hard work