YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Work–Life Balance reviews

Clear
Work–Life Balance
Pay & Benefits

Found 43 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,303 reviews

Terrific Employer

I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.

Pros

Training and support

Cons

Ordering new uniform takes time

Working hours of 10 hrs a wk is not reasonable

It wont make a reasonalble living of 10 hrs a wk work.................,Sorry I feel the coordinators have discrimination on their lower employess.....unless you are a friend or a family

Apply somewhere else .

Some policies make you feel belittled, not trusted to do the right thing, little recognition or none. Parents started leaving soon after YMCA took over so numbers dropped and staff received less hours. At interview you were made to feel there was opportunities for training or other job positions this was not evident to me after employment.

Pros

Can not think of any

Diverity of activities for their clients, supportive as an employer

Mostly good and positive feedback about my classes. Sometimes, i have difficulty with my participants who have complaints about the venue size, being to small, I do answer to the best of my ability and talk about the positives.

Love thé culture of helping people at YMCA

YMCA is a brilliant place to work if you are all about a proactive attitude, you are passionate about helping others, and you continually strive to improve. Working collaboratively with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to take on board honest feedback will make you perfect for working at the Y.

Great Community based Organisation

The YMCA is such a great environment to be surrounded by while working and its an easy to feel comfortable workplace. Highly enjoyable experience and i would highly recommend.

good place to work, good support from management

good place to work for. always looked forward to going to work and worked well with peers and management. duties were very varied and help stop possible boredom from doing the same routine day after day if not for the covid 19 i'd still be there

Being set up for failure

The overall KPI's were not realistic for the amount of time one had to achieve things. Unviable solutions were given to problems. In the end the Training Department was closed.

Fun working at the Y

I've been employed at the Y for over a year now and I'm pleased to be working for a great company. The team culture is terrific. As always, there will be difficult days with student behaviour but the training and support is exceptional. I highly recommended the Y as an employer.

Good

The YMCA was a great place to be when I started my first day. I had to do so much awesome meet new friends. And I'm so happy around in a fitness environment at the YMCA. The place makes me happy good staff good food.

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

Fun workplace

Friendly managers and employees. Multicultural workplace. Good benefits. Good place to learn new skills. Like to help staff members. No opportunity for career growth

Overall quite good

Just needed to return to fitness more and closer to home. Transferred here from 3 highly successful year in YMCA Broken hill and loved the community work and engagement

Pros

enjoy what you work at

YMCA Australia

A typical day at work was always comfortable and made me feel like I was wanted in the work place. Jobs were divided among the workers so as to not overload one and leave another with nothing to do.

Pros

Discounts

An organisation that does a lot even behind the scenes

YMCA has a lot of opportunities for people looking for work , they do a lot in the community, a lot of not for profit work and they have a great reputation

Pros

Opportunities in many locations

Cons

Not necessarily easy to get full-time work

Good place to volunteer

The ymca is a great place to volunteer, the environment and other people are wonderful. there is also the potential to progress into a paid position. I would highly reccommend.

Productive workpace

It was a brilliant place to work it was just a very dramatic environment, i was put in a room where i wasn't comfortable in (coworker didn't like me and made it known) wasn't allowed to change rooms. The Centre offered a lot of good resources and the times were great.

Ymca

Great manager who was open to suggestions and willing to listen. Made a lot of progress with such an open mind. A wonderful team to work with along with interesting clientele.

Was a great stepping stone

I believe the YMCA helped me to gain experience working with children and writing programs for management. I also gained experience in running a school wide gymnastics program.

Pros

Experience working with kids

Basket case

The company no longer lives by its values. The CEO and board members have destroyed the company from the top down. Very poor remuneration for high expectations and a use and abuse culture.

Pros

Helping the community

Cons

Long hours poor pay

A very young staff crew that is very cohesive.

A company that is very flexible with working hours, able to change and adapt based on your current timetable. A very young staff pool with lots of energy and relevant humour to boost the overall groups moral.

Rewarding

An organisation doing incredible work in the community. A career where you will see the impact of your hard work and dedication. Great operational staff culture.