YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Work–Life Balance reviews

Australia171 reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance
3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 43 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,441 reviews

Terrific Employer

I’m pleased to be working at the Y: the management and rostering team are sharp and compassionate and always interested in how they can do things better/feedback. As a casual, I receive regular shifts and great support in my work.

Pros

Training and support

Cons

Ordering new uniform takes time

Pretty good work

It's decent pay if you're a casual like i was, unfourtunantly i wasn't given enough time during the week to show my full potential as i was only rostered on once a fortnight. Lovely ladies to work with in the OSHC sector.

Positive environment with good people

YMCA Katherine was such a great place to have worked at. The other staff members were very outgoing and easy to get along with. The typical day of working for YMCA consisted of organising and planning recreational activities for the community especially for the indigenous youth. I learnt how to adapt to the different people in both the community and work.

Pros

Travelling, Meeting new people, Sports, BBQs

Cons

Long hours, Rude manager

good.

it was a very good place to do work experience i learnt quite a lot to be honest i got to work with the little kids and that was a really fun experience because i love kids a lot.

Pros

always got free lung

Cons

had long hours but never longer then 6-7 hours but i loved it.

Howmans Gap Alpine centre

A typical day in the winter period would consist of helping cook and serve breakfast for those staying at Howmans gap, wash dishes and then make sandwiches for the following days lunch. During the day I was able to ski unless it was a change over day. At night I would either be on dish duty or help cook and serve dinner.

Pros

free food

Cons

sometimes long hours without breaks

good

the YMCA was a great job loved the coaching role it really made me open to eyes to a new way of learning. it pushed me out of my comfort zone, which helped me develop and grow as a person.

Workplace

Not what job I was expecting to do in life being a cleaner. The management don't listen to their workers when they report something. The hours are too long and I can't do cover shifts as people don't cover shifts for me

Cons

not enough time for a break

stadium co-ordinater trainee

the most enjoyable part in my job was being able to work with amazing people and learning new things and working with nice lovely people . hardest part was understanding the different departments that the ymca had. i learnt how to deal with the different cultures. management was easy to work with, they were fun , listened well to their employees a typical day at work was come in and catch the days schedule, sweep the courts, clean the toilets, set courts up for the schools, do the player qual , sweep courts , set up for basketball.

Pros

long lunch breaks

Cons

long hours, travels

Great environment to work in, always so happy and cheerful colleges

Amazing job for building confidence and skills I would defiantly recccomend becoming a netball umpire for your first job, you get better everyweek

Pros

Making friends

it was a good place to work at

Working at YMCA was great but there was no stability there so I have to find something else with more stability as everyone has got bills to pay and without a stable job its abit hard to keep up with bills

Pros

The workers are great

Cons

long hours and sometimes you feel not appreciated for the work you do.

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

Derrimut Gym Cafe'

I always like to work with honest and friendly person.And my harder day of my work if anyone behave rude with me. My most enjoyable day when customer is giving a good comments about my food and asked to the kitchen staff where is Anthony. I am very happy when we are busy and we make good momey

Life at the YMCA

Working in a limited hours care environment I face new and different challenges every day. With supportive and close knit staff I learn new activities and observe new experiences every day and it never ceases to amaze me the changes I see in the children I have every day.

Fast paced & fun.

Start early, finish late. Learned new things every day from the different children I would come into contact with. Loved all the coordinators and other staff. Being stern with the children when they did wrong. Everything else.

My work provided variety of activites the child and I were involved in.

My work would be at a client's house for eight hour shifts. I cared for from one to three children, some of the children I cared for had behaviour issues or a disability such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I enjoyed the work and believe I made a difference to these children's lives.

Pros

Playgroup in the park and visits to the beach while working.

Cons

Some jobs had long hours.

Productive and Fun workplace

I’ve been instructing children from the age’s 5yrs – 15yrs over the last year at Camp. Guiding them to rock climb, kayak, climb on high ropes and more. Kids seem to really connect with my fun, outgoing and energetic personality, I believe in them so much that they start believing in themselves to come out of there shell.

Great experience

Working with the YMCA, I was only there on work experience and would have liked to be there more but i was not there for the job but for workplace experience.

Pros

Free luches

Cons

Long Hours

I spend a lot of time with kids, lucky I like them

My day sometimes looks like this. I arrive at 615, give children breakfast, ensure oldest child gets on bus at 8am for school. Baby needs a sleep at this point, once he is asleep I do painting or craft with 4 yr old. Baby wakes up, we have morning tea then we go for a walk to the beach or park to play. Then we have lunch and everybody lies down for a sleep for an hour or more. I read and have my break. Then we have afternoon tea, sometimes as a tea party on the floor. Then we play outside playing whatever imagination game the 4 year old wants to play, usually mums and dads or doctors. Then sometimes their mum comes back about 430 and I go back to my house to recover a bit before going out again to help lead youth group.

Pros

can sleep in afternoon if I am tired

Cons

early start

great people, great place

clean early mornings 4.30am start, lifeguard during day sometimes although mostly on the weekends and learn to swim every afternoon amd saturday morning.

Pros

everyone in the ymca were close friends, always a happy place, gym and pools handy, made lots of little friends through teaching kids how to swim

challenging and rewarding workplace

I am quite new to the work force, I have been a youth worker trainee for only a month, it is hard for me to be given an opportunity considering my lack of work experience. All I have is commitment and dedication to improve my life style and start developing a career. I do one day hope I can start work and really prove myself as I know I will be a great asset to any company because I am reliable, responsible, good problem solver, punctual and a quick learner. The team I have previously worked within was a good and trust worthy team that has shown great leadership to me. My most exciting part of the day would have to be, being able to work independently and showing my skills I have learnt so far.

Pros

The opportunity to work and weekend work

Cons

The experience

shut down work.

we where there to do shut down work,accomadation and meals where supplied,once the shut down was complete we where flown back to our home point of hire .

Pros

meals and accomadation

Quality Team

Everyone is full of energy, helpful and ready to go. It was a great experience working with them
  • YMCA