YMCA logo
YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Work–Life Balance

Found 171 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,310 reviews

Productive and fun place to work

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work

Pros

Gym membership

Cons

Short shifts

fun

a welcoming place with loads of support. Great people. Always willing to give someone a go. nonjudgmental environment. Understanding workplace.

Pros

awesome people

Cons

sore feet

Lovely work colleagues

Very friendly environment. I would recommend people work at KFAC YMCA to gain experience and to meet new people. A great all rounder job and also provide opportunities to go further into the Fitness and health business

Pros

great environment

Cons

n/a

it was a good place to work at

Working at YMCA was great but there was no stability there so I have to find something else with more stability as everyone has got bills to pay and without a stable job its abit hard to keep up with bills

Pros

The workers are great

Cons

long hours and sometimes you feel not appreciated for the work you do.

I love a place with soccer and fun games.

Well am a simple person, very talented and very good in advertising and fine art. This was my first place of work and really got a very nice work experience there.

Fun

Fun work Place. Lots of activities for young and old. Get to meet many people from different places and different ages. Great first job for someone still attending school.

Derrimut Gym Cafe'

I always like to work with honest and friendly person.And my harder day of my work if anyone behave rude with me. My most enjoyable day when customer is giving a good comments about my food and asked to the kitchen staff where is Anthony. I am very happy when we are busy and we make good momey

Life at the YMCA

Working in a limited hours care environment I face new and different challenges every day. With supportive and close knit staff I learn new activities and observe new experiences every day and it never ceases to amaze me the changes I see in the children I have every day.

Fast paced & fun.

Start early, finish late. Learned new things every day from the different children I would come into contact with. Loved all the coordinators and other staff. Being stern with the children when they did wrong. Everything else.

My work provided variety of activites the child and I were involved in.

My work would be at a client's house for eight hour shifts. I cared for from one to three children, some of the children I cared for had behaviour issues or a disability such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I enjoyed the work and believe I made a difference to these children's lives.

Pros

Playgroup in the park and visits to the beach while working.

Cons

Some jobs had long hours.

Jobs at YMCA

See more jobs

really enjoyed working there

great place to work at because you never run out of things to do and the co workers were good people the company like to always help the community and that's one of the reasons why i piked it.

enjoyable work place lots of variety

playing with children doing arts and crafts some children have special needs. playing football and making paper planes. doing cooking and all kinds of sports. enjoy working with children

Pros

free lunches

Cons

late hours

Amazing Experience

Worked with Martu Aboriginal Youth who where secondary homeless and often neglected and malnourished. Created program's and activities for after school hours for ages 10-19 which included sport, art, health programs and cultural activities. Woke, drove and fed twelve high school youth to school every day along with lunches and provided shoes/socks etc. As part of there cultural studies we engaged in hunting trips and bush camping, sometimes for days. Engaged the youth of Newman in sports such as football, softball, soccer and also arts including music making and community painting. Most amazing two years involved with the YMCA and very appreciative of the experience. Now back from Australia hoping to work with youth, the community and also possibly returning to dental practices as well as admin and reception duties. Nicola Durkan

Pros

Amazing experiencing aboriginal culture

Cons

Homesick for Ireland

Productive and Fun workplace

I’ve been instructing children from the age’s 5yrs – 15yrs over the last year at Camp. Guiding them to rock climb, kayak, climb on high ropes and more. Kids seem to really connect with my fun, outgoing and energetic personality, I believe in them so much that they start believing in themselves to come out of there shell.

a learning cerve

working with children is a beneficial experience with a lot of learning and self development, a stressful environment but overall the children and the experiences help you grow and learn as a person

Pros

learning

Cons

most things

Being around fit inspirational people

fun that people smile when they are improving Good management Friendly Fun and willing to help There is no hard parts to this job Going to work

Pros

Being aroun fit healthy people

Cons

Getting out of the water on cold days

Productive Workplace

I love working with the other educators all friendly and create a positive team environment. The children are very clever which makes working with them challenging as I am not use to working with 7-12 year olds but still very rewarding.

Cleaner at Ballarat Aquatic & Lifestyle Centre

I worked at the YMCA for about 2 to 3 years, enjoyed working met nice people and new friends along the way, good pay and good hours etc

Fun to work at

The YMCA or Aquatic Centre in ballarat, is an amazing and fun experience and it gives you plenty of things to do. I learned to work with children, both in the nursery and as well as in a gymnastics class. The co-workers were all amazing and very helpful and encouraging! There we not any hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I got to work with children.

Pros

Several things to do

Cons

late work hours

Great experience

Working with the YMCA, I was only there on work experience and would have liked to be there more but i was not there for the job but for workplace experience.

Pros

Free luches

Cons

Long Hours

Postitively fun place and atmosphere

The hardest part of my job is trying not to enjoy myself and have as much fun as I do. I meet, greet and converse with a varied range of people. I've learnt over time to listen to all, act accordingly but never lose any sense of humour. My most enjoyable part of my job is being part of the journey of our members success in attaining their health and fitness goals.

Pros

Being affected in a positive manner with all with whom I come in contact with

Cons

Being happy all the time