YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
I found the after school care program a fantastic program to work for, providing your management and other staff know what they are doing.
I enjoyed working with YMCA Splash. Every day was different and my co-workers were extremely friendly and always up for a laugh.
Pros
Healthy salary
Cons
Inconsistent work
Acting as a positive role model and facilitating activities were the major roles of a camp leader. This role proved to be testing at times and required a great deal of patience, energy and persistence, however, the transformations and joy of the participants made it all the worthwhile. The lack of funds further problematised the program where the efforts of the voluntary leaders was heavily relied on.
I am starting a Certificate of Education Support - Integration Aide/Teacher Aid course in February 2015, through Monash University.
Pros
Get to work with children, who I absolutely adore.
Cons
Only casual, would enjoy more hours if possible.
Fun and energetic atmosphere Health assessments and program writing Worked with some amazing people
I would never work for them again they where rude and don't care about there staff or children they care for
i enjoyed working with the kids, they were wonderful. The supervisor that I worked for was amazing, they were understanding and very helpful
I am a very flexible person, can work with less supervision, very independent and honest. Willing to learn new things and dedicated to every task that will assigned to me.
My day sometimes looks like this. I arrive at 615, give children breakfast, ensure oldest child gets on bus at 8am for school. Baby needs a sleep at this point, once he is asleep I do painting or craft with 4 yr old. Baby wakes up, we have morning tea then we go for a walk to the beach or park to play. Then we have lunch and everybody lies down for a sleep for an hour or more. I read and have my break. Then we have afternoon tea, sometimes as a tea party on the floor. Then we play outside playing whatever imagination game the 4 year old wants to play, usually mums and dads or doctors. Then sometimes their mum comes back about 430 and I go back to my house to recover a bit before going out again to help lead youth group.
Pros
can sleep in afternoon if I am tired
Cons
early start
working at the YMCA was really enjoyable, the kids were great, i had fun working with my co-workers. Sometimes just waking up really early was hard but I got use to it. I enjoyed going out and interacting with all the kids, playing all sorts of games.
Pros
kids were amazing
Cons
split shifts
clean early mornings 4.30am start, lifeguard during day sometimes although mostly on the weekends and learn to swim every afternoon amd saturday morning.
Pros
everyone in the ymca were close friends, always a happy place, gym and pools handy, made lots of little friends through teaching kids how to swim
I am quite new to the work force, I have been a youth worker trainee for only a month, it is hard for me to be given an opportunity considering my lack of work experience. All I have is commitment and dedication to improve my life style and start developing a career. I do one day hope I can start work and really prove myself as I know I will be a great asset to any company because I am reliable, responsible, good problem solver, punctual and a quick learner. The team I have previously worked within was a good and trust worthy team that has shown great leadership to me. My most exciting part of the day would have to be, being able to work independently and showing my skills I have learnt so far.
Pros
The opportunity to work and weekend work
Cons
The experience
I learnt Accounts Payable / Receivable and Facility management during my time with YMCA. I enjoy the work I do and I enjoy the team I work with. The hardest part of this job was being told that my position is about to become redundant.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long drive to and from home
YMCA has been a great company to work for with part time hour flexibility. Unfortunately due to restructure, my position is being made redundant. With various YMCA accounts across states, I have had the opportunity of processing payrolls from various software packages and learning various awards. I have enjoyed working with staff and managers from these centres and I have formed ongoing friendships. The hardest part of the job will be leaving such a great supportive team.
Pros
Working school hours
because this pool was opened after the black Saturday fires for the community to use , I felt privileged to work there and have daily contact with these amazing people.
A great workplace with wonderful management team. providing care and education for children aged 4 months - 6 years.
we where there to do shut down work,accomadation and meals where supplied,once the shut down was complete we where flown back to our home point of hire .
Pros
meals and accomadation
Cons
the hardest part of the job is crying babies the most enjoyable part of the job is when I'm able to help them feel comfortable to stop crying .My co-workers are all lovely and most helpful
Pros
enjoy working
Cons
Hours to short
A typical day at work would be say hello to the team and see how everyone else is going and see what has happened before I came in. Check emails, sort through paperwork and comile a list of immediate jobs that need attending to. Set goals for the day. At the end of the day go through the list and evaluate what I have achieved. Working at the YMCA I learned the importance of team work. Working together as a team not only makes the job more enjoyable, but also creates a more efficient work environment enabling the team team to achieve the best outcome for the business. Manangement at the Y is very supportive to all employees at all levels. All managers have an open door policy and are all very approachable. They are always available to help out and provide direction and support. People choose to work at the Y because they are passionate about the companies values and the culture it presents. It is not the place to work if you want to 'get rich quick'. Working with people who love what they do creates a vibrant, proactive environment which rubs off onto the the customers who also come along to experience the fun energetic environment. The Hardest part of the job was probably the multi tasking required. Working in accounting, I was also required to perform the role of Duty Manager on occassions. This may have involved on certain days juggling between processing payroll, serving customers, covering lifeguards breaks and performing month end. Challenging, but also rewarding. The variety keeps the head clear and certainly makes the day go fast! The culture and team - more...
Pros
Team Culture
Cons
Multiple roles at the same time
Very short shifts and not many hours per week. Pay p/h was pretty good.Co-workers and management were friendly.
Pros
Free access to gym
Cons
Not enough hours
  1. Employee Reviews